Improvised Goaltender/ Shooting Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
I have recently started playing pick-up games on an outdoor rink again. The problem that we run into is that is it near impossible to get a goalie to play outside up here. Therefore, I was wondering what other players on this board use as an improvised goalie or shooting targets.

When I played Roller Hockey in a parking lot on Guam, we sometimes had to use Coolers or rubbermaid containers and equipment bags as goalies. That works fine for a roller hockey ball, but I don't think it would work with a puck.

I had cut a somewhat heavy piece of plywood down to goal-size, and then cut two squares out in the top corners. I cut a small "5-hole" in the middle on the bottom, and cut various other holes to simulate the holes between a goalies pads and arms when in the "butterfly", and between the helmet and blocker, etc. I drilled out smaller holes to attached bungee cords through, to hold it in place on the net. The main problem with this "goalie" is he's quite heavy, and only having a Toyota Corrola as a vehicle to get to the rink and back, it is very cumbersome.

I also devised more conventional shooting targets by using the leftover smaller squares of plywood, stapling some old socks to the tops of them (to form a loop), and running the bungee cords through them, so that they hang down. I then attach the bungees to the net. This works fairly well, the big disadvantage is that a missed shot goes into the net, thereby eliminating any form of rebound.

Does anybody have any other ideas, or use something better?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
They're not very durable, but paper plates duct-taped to the corners of the net work for me.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Why won't the goalies come out? Usually when goalies won't go to drop in, it's because of the behavior of the outskaters. Are you guys doing something that would tick them off?

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
RedK said:
Why won't the goalies come out? Usually when goalies won't go to drop in, it's because of the behavior of the outskaters. Are you guys doing something that would tick them off?

I think it's mostly due to the weather. The cold and wind aren't too bad if you are skating around, but the goalies would probably be a lot colder.

:dunno:

felonious_r

Dec 29, 2005
Cambridge
If you have a 2nd net, you could lay it down and have the place where water bottles sit be the new goal. Or you could make the other team hit the posts in order to score. Those are usually the two strategies my hockey team uses if a goalie doens't show up to pracitce.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
epuck.com has a couple of decent targets. a couple of shooter tutor type goal covers, and these rubber corner targets (i plan on getting them this summer)

other than that post and crossbars.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
We play posts when goalies don't show up to pickup games and you're not allowed to shoot if you're any closer than the hash marks, it makes for a pretty competitive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad