Impressive drafting results in monster 2015-16 season for St. Louis Blues prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
austin_poganski_north_dakota_040716.jpg
Photo: St. Louis Blues prospect Austin Poganski was fifth in scoring for NCAA national champion North Dakota, and will be part of a group capable of defending its title next season (courtesy of Roy K. Miller/Icon Sportswire)

Going into the year, it was unclear who would step up this season but several St. Louis Blues prospects have made a huge splash in 2015-16. The most notable names are Robby Fabbri, Colton Parayko and Joel Edmundson. While Fabbri and Parayko were highly-touted as the season progressed, Edmundson took advantage of his opportunity and has been a mainstay on the Blues’ blueline.… read more

The post Impressive drafting results in monster 2015-16 season for St. Louis Blues prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Phillips isn't really a Blues prospect, is he? I thought the Wolves signed him when they were desperate for a healthy body near the end of the year. Fabbri, Parayko, and Edmonson are prospects??

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Phillips isn't really a Blues prospect, is he? I thought the Wolves signed him when they were desperate for a healthy body near the end of the year. Fabbri, Parayko, and Edmonson are prospects??

They were during the season, they will have graduated by now.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Did Suraj just pick Schmaltz over Parayko as top defensive prospect? The first time I read it, I just assumed that Parayko had graduated and that he didn't think as much about Dunn and Walman as I do. Then I re-read that he chose Fabbri over Parayko for prospect of the year, meaning he still considers Parayko a prospect sooooo.....

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Did Suraj just pick Schmaltz over Parayko as top defensive prospect? The first time I read it, I just assumed that Parayko had graduated and that he didn't think as much about Dunn and Walman as I do. Then I re-read that he chose Fabbri over Parayko for prospect of the year, meaning he still considers Parayko a prospect sooooo.....

Other than prospect of the year, All of the picks were guys who had great years and are still considered prospects. The first sentence in the paragraph about Schmaltz is, "As noted, Parayko and Edmundson have become full-time NHL players." I think it is pretty clear that outside of 'prospect of the year', the list is limited to guys who haven't graduated at this point.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
So Suraj thinks Zack Phillips is a Blues prospect? Phillips is a guy the Wolves acquired in March to be a warm body for 9 games. Was then sent to the ECHL. Good job, Suraj.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Zack Phillips is under contract with the Blues. Given how and when he was acquired, I'm surprised that he was considered in this discussion.

It is very odd that Fabbri is considered a prospects, and yet Schmaltz is our best defensive prospect.

Walman is a good skater, but I'm pretty sure that Dunn is better.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Zack Phillips is under contract with the Blues. Given how and when he was acquired, I'm surprised that he was considered in this discussion.

It is very odd that Fabbri is considered a prospects, and yet Schmaltz is our best defensive prospect.

Walman is a good skater, but I'm pretty sure that Dunn is better.

Walman can fly. I'm not real sold on his defensive game. However, he can shoot and he can skate better than most everyone I saw him play against. His draft year, he was considered one of the best skating d-men in the draft. Be one heck of a race.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not to mention he's saying parayko is on the decline because he's on the "third" pair in the playoffs LMAO this guy is a moron. Try watching a game then tell me parayko is on the "decline"

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Not to mention he's saying parayko is on the decline because he's on the "third" pair in the playoffs LMAO this guy is a moron. Try watching a game then tell me parayko is on the "decline"

He probably has, but based his whole opinion on it. His play this series has been worse than the rest of the year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Assuming that were true, why would it not just be chalked up to rookie fatigue at playing a ridiculous amount of games/minutes? Why would anyone think it has a bearing on his long-term ceiling?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He probably has, but based his whole opinion on it. His play this series has been worse than the rest of the year.

Parayko is playing a lot of minutes against one of the best teams in the league, and in the playoffs to boot. He hasn't been perfect, but he's played well, in my opinion. The only defenseman I would rather see on the ice is Pietrangelo, who has been in the league a while and in the playoffs several times before.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Parayko is playing a lot of minutes against one of the best teams in the league, and in the playoffs to boot. He hasn't been perfect, but he's played well, in my opinion. The only defenseman I would rather see on the ice is Pietrangelo, who has been in the league a while and in the playoffs several times before.

I agree, but if he only watched game 4 and based his analysis on that, I could see what led to that line of thought. Which is not to say that said line of thinking is correct or has merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad