IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT HFBOARDS - Please read!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Changed today with the new update, as Markovsknee said.
Friday evening should give it a fine test drive.
giphy.gif

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Kudos on the recent ad spots appearing on your site.

One of them is this ad which appeared repeatedly throughout yesterday: Exclusive: Passenger Wins Big

And when the ad appeared, it made a pitch using the following pic:

351493.jpg

Great job attracting these quality advertisers to HF. :sarcasm:
Isn't that website legit? With their Journal de Montréal vintage 2010 fake logo as their header? They had a cool trivia poll that combined people's SSN with Birth Date, Childhood's Best Friend name and your four favorite digits, I just couldn't resist posting mine, it was so fun! :sarcasm:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Kudos on the recent ad spots appearing on your site.

One of them is this ad which appeared repeatedly throughout yesterday: Exclusive: Passenger Wins Big

And when the ad appeared, it made a pitch using the following pic:

351493.jpg

Great job attracting these quality advertisers to HF. :sarcasm:
Go to Mandatory.com and see the content there. They need chick pic seekers or else no money.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can't get the cookie workaround to work, for the constant logging out on Opera. Logs me out every time I refresh etc.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I can't get the cookie workaround to work, for the constant logging out on Opera. Logs me out every time I refresh etc.
Same here, and I've been heralding the advantages of using Opera. That trick Fenchy linked to doesn't exist in Opera and I tried clearing cache and cookies. Then when I click on a thread, all of a sudden I'm logged on. :huh:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Same here, and I've been heralding the advantages of using Opera. That trick Fenchy linked to doesn't exist in Opera and I tried clearing cache and cookies. Then when I click on a thread, all of a sudden I'm logged on. :huh:

Make sure you're accessing the site via HTTPS -> https://hfboards.mandatory.com

Update your bookmarks/quickdials/whatever so you never access the site via plain HTTP again.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

https was the fix with Opera.

Reactions: peate

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My Opera don’t allow me to reply to any messages? Same with Internet Explorer. When I reply or create a new message, the message part of the window is not there.

Posting this on my IPhone cause it’s the only way I can right now

Everyone’s avatar is gone too

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Make sure you're accessing the site via HTTPS -> https://hfboards.mandatory.com

Update your bookmarks/quickdials/whatever so you never access the site via plain HTTP again.

For whatever reason nothing corrected the constant logouts for me, since the upgrade, except for disabling javascript for the site. Certain functionality doesn't work, mostly embedded videos/tweets, but it's better than logging on every couple minutes.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My Opera don’t allow me to reply to any messages? Same with Internet Explorer. When I reply or create a new message, the message part of the window is not there.

Posting this on my IPhone cause it’s the only way I can right now

Everyone’s avatar is gone too
That happened to me for a while yesterday, but all is back to normal now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Did you change your bookmarks?

Site is now https.

Bookmarks may be set to http forcing you to log in. Edit them.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
HostGator dedicated Enterprise Server (managed)

Lol you are apparently not a web guy...right?

They need an elastic package on AWS (they are probably already on AWS) so that they can handle 50x-100x spikes (plus an elastic CDN), it's textbook AWS or any of the cloud competitors with elastic features (Google, Microsoft) or anyone who builds on AWS elastic (hundreds here).

Managed servers are for small sites, this site becomes enterprise grade for 3-4 weeks a year.

They must have significant compute problems (CPU limitations) as these forums software package are all CPU hogs, again elastic is what could solve it (as well as popping on 30-40x more CPU allocations basis for 2 weeks). The issue here: even elastic wouldn't scale fast enough without more allocations available to be able to react.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Lol you are apparently not a web guy...right?

They need an elastic package on AWS (they are probably already on AWS) so that they can handle 50x-100x spikes (plus an elastic CDN), it's textbook AWS or any of the cloud competitors with elastic features (Google, Microsoft) or anyone who builds on AWS elastic (hundreds here).

Managed servers are for small sites, this site becomes enterprise grade for 3-4 weeks a year.

They must have significant compute problems (CPU limitations) as these forums software package are all CPU hogs, again elastic is what could solve it (as well as popping on 30-40x more CPU allocations basis for 2 weeks). The issue here: even elastic wouldn't scale fast enough without more allocations available to be able to react.

Thanks for your response. I'm not a server hardware expert, but I've used other busy forums that do not have the constant issues that plague HF, so assumed it was in part at least, a server hardware issue. Especially so since the problems have sky-rocketed since the migration.

I don't know the typical volume of users, but I have seen issues here on
regular days at irregular hours. I'm assuming that the bulk of the work is DB read/write and RAM and cache hungry.

I do know that Client side RAM usage appears higher than typical sites, and I'm speculating that is in large part to the advertising element, possibly the server is also burdened.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad