I'm starting to think Shattenkirk is a lot better than most people realize

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
For quite a while now, when the Blues need a goal late, in OT, or when their momentum is slipping, I find myself saying, "Please get the puck to Shatty." Especially when they're in the offensive zone and setting up a shot.

It's not just his offensive game. He has weird defensive mistakes every once in a while - who doesn't? But the guy is reliable and makes really good defensive plays. He doesn't cover the same ice that Bouwmeester and Pietro do, of course. But he's really good along the boards (especially for his size) and, very much like Pietro, magically swoops in to pick up loose change around the net and carry it right up the ice.

The rubric around HF is that he's "sheltered" behind Pietro. Even if there's truth to that, there's a lot more to it. Consider the way that people analyze high scoring forwards. Nobody ever says, "Yea, he's top 10 in scoring, but that's only because he plays against second-rate competition." Perfect example, compare the quality of competition stats for Steen-Backes-Oshie with Penner-Getzlaf-Perry, especially relative to their teammates. Nobody cares about that because POINTS.
The only time you ever hear that is when a rookie is having a good year and people want to defend their bet-hedging prediction that he'll have a sophomore slump, so, obviously, he's going to have a harder time when the league catches on and he gets worse match-ups.

I'm not saying hey, let's denigrate top scorers if they aren't also used as shutdown players. But to me, you can't say a defenseman gets sheltered defensive minutes unless you turn the same microscope on the scoring of forwards.

I have a feeling that Armstrong and Hitch think the same thing about getting the puck to Shattenkirk when the Blues need to score. Bouwmeester only has five fewer points, but in recent games, Shatty-Pietro hit the ice when things are dire. And if that's your opinion of a player, why wouldn't you want to use him surgically? To me, it seems that's exactly what Chicago does with Keith and he's the apparent Norris favorite.

Check out Shatty's even-strength points. He has only two points on plays with Steen and one each with Backes and Oshie. He spends very little ES time with those terrific two-way players. The dude is basically the designated quarterback for their secondary scoring, which is among the best in the league for that very reason.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
The sheltered minutes malarkey that is thrown out there by fans of other teams can always be solved by applying some common sense when looking at the situation. The Blues RHD has a top 10 dman in Pietrangelo and 2nd pairing quality defensive d-man in Polak. It shouldn't take any sort of advanced stats to see the difference in the three and think like a coach and how to play to each's strengths. There are no RHD men around Shattenkirk's level who wouldn't get the same so called sheltered treatment between those two.

The only real complaint that I have about Shattenkirk is his poor play when the post season rolls around. He was better last year than the first go around so I hope it's just an adjustment period for him over the next season or two. He doesn't have to play so well that he's up for a Conn Smythe, but at the bare minimum he needs to be able to transition the puck as effectively as he does in the regular season. If he can do that this year then I will be more than happy with him.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The sheltered minutes malarkey that is thrown out there by fans of other teams can always be solved by applying some common sense when looking at the situation. The Blues RHD has a top 10 dman in Pietrangelo and 2nd pairing quality defensive d-man in Polak. It shouldn't take any sort of advanced stats to see the difference in the three and think like a coach and how to play to each's strengths. There are no RHD men around Shattenkirk's level who wouldn't get the same so called sheltered treatment between those two.

The only real complaint that I have about Shattenkirk is his poor play when the post season rolls around. He was better last year than the first go around so I hope it's just an adjustment period for him over the next season or two. He doesn't have to play so well that he's up for a Conn Smythe, but at the bare minimum he needs to be able to transition the puck as effectively as he does in the regular season. If he can do that this year then I will be more than happy with him.

I think the idea of evaluating the competition a player faces isn't bad. But the reality is that player roles and situations differ. The way that Oshie and Tarasenko are used is very different. Despite the fact that Oshie gets more minutes, more responsibility, and produces more, you won't get universal agreement that Tarasenko is a lot worse or sheltered. Probably not the best analog to Pietro/Shatty, but it gets the point across.
You can usually tell how good a player really is by watching him play and many fans defer to stats when they don't want to admit that they have already made up their minds despite not seeing the guy play enough.

As for Shatty's post-season performance, that's true, but with a couple notes. First is that the Blues finally have a clear first line that produces like a first line AND impact secondary players. Before, it was just kind of a morass of guys revolving around Backes-Oshie (usually Perron on that line), a line/pair that was not nearly as offensively effective as it is now. Their top guys were easier to shut down and performance (as well as scoring) of secondary lines suffered. I think if the Blues can continue to get enough good play from the pile of Schwartz, Tarasenko, Berglund, Sobotka, Roy, Stewart, and Paajarvi, you'll see Shattenkirk have a bigger impact, too.

Second, the Blues in general need to figure out how to handle big teams that forecheck hard. I think it's at least as much about coaching as it is about personnel. When the Blues can get good shifts early and hem top line opposition in their own zone, they create a lot of puck-control momentum. It tires out the other team and as the game goes on, the opposition has to take more risks to get something going up ice. Then the Blues can just pick them apart as they take risks.
I'm mostly reaching, but I kind of actually think against teams like LA, San Jose, and Anaheim, the Blues should play more of a trap early on so that their defense is less likely to get pressured. They should be comfortable with a neutral zone game and crank up the forechecking once they're able to counterattack.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Shatty has been noticeable more physical in the defensive zone which I think is a huge difference for his leap in play. He's not big by any means, but as long as he knows how to use his body to knock opposing forwards off pucks then he'll be very successful in the league for a long time.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
To me where Shattenkirk gets underrated, and any player that you don't have eyes on. Is that he's a catalyst. Just like Oshie, he's already figured out that if he hogs the puck it'll backfire, but he has the vision and quick instinctive play to adapt to who's on the ice at the time. He doesn't look for a lane and just dump passes into open ice hoping for serendipity to give his players the puck. (Stewart and Berglund I'm lookin at you!)

He changes his pace and position with and without the puck to suit his forwards and tries to switch between playing through the slot and around the perimeter depending on if his forwards drive the net or cycle the boards most effectively. When he's trying to get the puck out of his own zone, he's patient and looks for the furthest man up and waits for his stretch pass. He'd rather play possession than position, so he'll attack the puck and control the play instead of get boxed in and become a passive defender.

I think the theme of it, is that he's just that confident with being a part of the play. He's not intimidated by being a QB or battling a top line forward for control of the play. He's not expecting anyone else on the ice to make his job easy. He's not waiting for the play to come to him, and most of all he doesn't force anything.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
He has looked good this season. However, like most of the core players, he needs to find a way to elevate his game in the playoffs. He has not looked particularly strong the past two years in the postseason, but again, most of the key players have suffered in that department. I'm optimistic this year will be different (luck has to change sometime right...?)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Finally someone starts a thread about this!!!!hahah...Ive always loved Shattenkirk. Pietrangelo is a great dman but I ALWAYS bring up Shattenkirks name when people rant and rave about Petro. I have always thought Shattenkirk is has always been under the radar but the Blues are extremely lucky to have him. Their NHL stats are pretty similar. God Blues have some great young players hahah....

Shat - 53gp 8g. 28a. 36pts. +10 18pims. 123shots. 4gwg. 47hits. 69blocks. 20:09TOI
Petro- 54gp 6g. 32a. 38pts. +15 14pims. 104shots. 0gwg. 14hits. 118blocks 25:22TOI

Last edited:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Finally someone starts a thread about this!!!!hahah...Ive always loved Shattenkirk. Pietrangelo is a great dman but I ALWAYS bring up Shattenkirks name when people rant and rave about Petro. I have always thought Shattenkirk is has always been under the radar but the Blues are extremely lucky to have him. Their NHL stats are pretty similar. God Blues have some great young players hahah....

Shat - 53gp 8g. 28a. 36pts. +10 18pims. 123shots. 4gwg. 47hits. 69blocks. 20:09TOI
Petro- 54gp 6g. 32a. 38pts. +15 14pims. 104shots. 0gwg. 14hits. 118blocks 25:22TOI

The main difference is that Shattenkirk plays 2nd and 3rd lines while Petro plays first lines. If you switched them Shattenkirk would be a lot worse off. I do believe Shattenkirk is one of if not the best second pairing PMD out there though, behind Keith but no one else definitively. I think he has surpassed Yandle.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The main difference is that Shattenkirk plays 2nd and 3rd lines while Petro plays first lines. If you switched them Shattenkirk would be a lot worse off. I do believe Shattenkirk is one of if not the best second pairing PMD out there though, behind Keith but no one else definitively. I think he has surpassed Yandle.

Completely agree. St. Louis has built such a good team. Their stats show that having a top player on the top pairing and another top player on the second pairing is working great for the team. The management has built an unbelievable team and have unreal prospects. I honestly think St. Louis has the best combo of coach/skill players/role players/goalies/prospect pool in the NHL. You really need to play your a*# off for Hitch and work hard in the role he assigns each player or you won't play. Case in point, I am totally impressed with the 2 way game Terasenko is playing this season, and on the flip side, Chris Stewart is a high salary player on the team and is playing lazy and Hitch sits him and makes him realize he is playing like garbage.....I am really growing into a HUGE Blues fan the past few years and I think it will continue for many more years

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Shattenkirk IS very sheltered though. Petro and Boumeester do an absolutely ridiculous amount of heavy lifting for this team. They eat huge minutes, and the minutes they play are among the toughest that any defensive pairing plays against in the western conference.

Shattenkirk gets a huge bump in offensive zone starts (he's in the top 10% in the NHL for who I'd consider 2nd pairing defensemen), and his quality of competition is significantly below average. A good illustrator here is that the Blues have the second biggest disparity in qualcomp between 1st and 2nd defensive pairings (the Bruins are the biggest).

I'm not trying to rip on Shatty by any means. He's a fantastic player to have, very valuable at his cap hit. He's one of the best 2nd pairing/PP QBs guys in the NHL. He might, if given the chance, prove to be a quality 1/2 defenseman in the NHL (his corsi numbers when not adjusted for QoC are extremely impressive to be sure). It is, however, very correct to say that he plays sheltered minutes. He's not yet taken on the league's best every night. That isn't denigrating him, it is just a statement of fact.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I dont think he is underrated by those inside hockey. He made the US team over guys like Yandle, EJ, JMFJ, and Bfugly.

While his defensive minutes are somewhat sheltered, his offensive production is still fantastic and he is an ace in transition. He only is playing 20 minutes a game, but is top 10 in defenseman scoring.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

25 minutes of ice 54 games and 14 hits? I guess at the Olympics Petro won't get winded in the long program, if he's used to skating 25 minutes a game....:amazed: I played defense for a long time. Something has to be wrong with that stat. There is no way I can see going an entire game on defense without hitting somebody. What truly constitutes a hit? That can't be possible...

I agree with rumrokh on this. Big Shatty fan. This is an excellent point! "Check out Shatty's even-strength points. He has only two points on plays with Steen and one each with Backes and Oshie. He spends very little ES time with those terrific two-way players. The dude is basically the designated quarterback for their secondary scoring, which is among the best in the league for that very reason."

Last edited:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
25 minutes of ice 54 games and 14 hits? I guess at the Olympics Petro won't get winded in the long program, if he's used to skating 25 minutes a game....:amazed: I played defense for a long time. Something has to be wrong with that stat. There is no way I can see going an entire game on defense without hitting somebody. What truly constitutes a hit? That can't be possible...

I agree with rumrokh on this. Big Shatty fan. This is an excellent point! "Check out Shatty's even-strength points. He has only two points on plays with Steen and one each with Backes and Oshie. He spends very little ES time with those terrific two-way players. The dude is basically the designated quarterback for their secondary scoring, which is among the best in the league for that very reason."
It's real. A lot of Good defensemen won't hit a lot because they a) have possession or b) because it takes you out of the play. Petro very rarely puts the team shorthanded also because of it

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm not surprised that Petro hasn't thrown a lot of hits. He's not a "physical" defensemen. He's a lot like Lidstrom in the way he plays. He gets in the zone, gets the puck, and gets it out in a hurry. If you notice, Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo don't usually play a lot of time in our end because they get the puck out pretty quick. That's a recipe for low hit totals. And I'm totally ok with it. Shatty is similar to Petro, but he does seem to play a bit more physical. Overall, I've been very happy with Shatty's play this year. Obviously the real test is the playoffs, but he seems to have improved his overall play quite a bit so far.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Shatty's physical play has definitely picked up, highlighted by that step up last night on Michalek.

Did not realize Pietrangelo was averaging 25 a night. Wow

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
can we change the title? Switch word better to worse

He has weird defensive mistakes every once in a while - who doesn't? But the guy is reliable and makes really good defensive plays. He doesn't cover the same ice that Bouwmeester and Pietro do, of course. But he's really good along the boards (especially for his size) and, very much like Pietro, magically swoops in to pick up loose change around the net and carry it right up the ice.

Can I disagree? Maybe on powerplay Shattery can carry the puck on the redline before he turnover the puck.

Can we say Shattenkirk has regressed on defensively?

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The thread is 2 years old, opinions change.

There are other threads to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad