Value of: Ilya Sorokin

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Greiss will be 34 in January and is on the last the last year of his contract. Why the hell would the Islanders be stupid enough to consider moving Sorokin at this point?

Sorokin can back Greiss up for a year if the Islanders re-sign him. In two years, Greiss will be 35 going on 36 and will likely begin falling victim to father time like most athletes. Sorokin and Greiss split time for a year. By 2023, Sorokin can be the starting with Greiss or someone else backing him up.

You don't trade a prospect like Sorokin because your 33 going on 34 netminder is playing great.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Greiss will be 34 in January and is on the last the last year of his contract. Why the hell would the Islanders be stupid enough to consider moving Sorokin at this point?

Sorokin can back Greiss up for a year if the Islanders re-sign him. In two years, Greiss will be 35 going on 36 and will likely begin falling victim to father time like most athletes. Sorokin and Greiss split time for a year. By 2023, Sorokin can be the starting with Greiss or someone else backing him up.

You don't trade a prospect like Sorokin because your 33 going on 34 netminder is playing great.
You’re forgetting that the Isles signed Varly to a 5 year deal in the summer.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If for some reason he was available (and he wouldn't be), Edmonton should be very interested. Start with Yamamoto or Puljujarvi and see where it goes.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
You have Piero Greco (great goalie coach for those that don't know).. Keep the younger guy and let him work his magic..

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You have Piero Greco (great goalie coach for those that don't know).. Keep the younger guy and let him work his magic..

I’m glad you said this. Everyone talks about Korn and rightly so but Greco is huge. Robin Lehner recently mentioned Greco from his time with the isles and had high praise for him.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I’m glad you said this. Everyone talks about Korn and rightly so but Greco is huge. Robin Lehner recently mentioned Greco from his time with the isles and had high praise for him.
Greco hasn't had a team with a SV% under .900 since his first year as a goalie coach in 02/03 with Owen Sound.

There are maybe on 4 or 5 years when the team SV% hasn't been between .915 and .930.

He is an outstanding goalie coach who I think can make anybody better. Great goaltenders have been good obviously (Had John Gibson in Kitchener) but he also has a longgg history of even making average guys look great.

Reactions: Rengi and SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Under Lou, Trotz, The Isles D, and the goalie whisperers Greco and Korn. A toaster could have a low GAA playing on the Island. I doubt the Isles will be shopping Sorokin around barring a big return. He is their goalie of the future, and by all reports is one of the top 1 or 2 goaltending prospects not in the NHL. The succession plan has been laid out for him to come over next year to split games with Varly.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
1. As much as I love Greiss he's the odd man out.
2. Varlamov is here to help Sorokin transition to the NHL life
3. Sorokin is the future and is going nowhere.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't see it. I think getting him to come over was a big reason why they even got Varlamov in the first place.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Sorokin isn't going anywhere. Lou would be insane too trade him at this point. And while Lou's sanity has been questioned by some ( myself included ), I don't think he's that senile just yet.
Unfortunately, that means Greiss is history no matter how well he plays. He could play every minute of every remaining game AND go 16-0 in the playoffs without ever giving up a goal.....and come July 1st he would just be a fond memory.
Lou has committed himself and the team to a varlamov/sorokin tandem starting next season.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Greiss is gone after this year. He's been a commendable goalie for us and will be cheered upon his return. But it's obvious that the LT plan is the Russian duo. As it should be.

Reactions: davinhimself

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
1. Lou being old school...as long as we are in the hunt for the cup, there is no way Greiss will get traded
2. Islanders have ZERO problem letting players walk...we've done it before and we'll do it again and I'm not referring to JT
3. Varly signed 4 years, not 5
4. Greiss will make a fantastic goalie for whichever team signs him
5. Even though Greiss will not have access to Korn or Greco, it's not like he will forget what he learned. Lehner is still kicking ass in ChiTown.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The window to trade Sorokin closed the second you let a 26-year old Vezina Finalist Lehner walk and replace him with an older goalie on a 4 year contract with the sole purpose being to lure Sorokin over

Reactions: davinhimself
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Youre not getting anything substantial for an unproven goalie that may or may not come over here.
I kind of agree. Sorokin is an excellent prospect. And while he's not NHL proven, there is a body of work that is very promising. I think the bigger issue is goalies just don't seem to have the trade value that make it worthwhile to trade one.

Reactions: Accelleratii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad