Player Discussion Ilya Samsonov [#35] discussion

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He needs to have a strong game against Detroit tomorrow otherwise he may collapse in on himself with a seed of doubt.
sadly, I'm predicting him giving up a 7 spot 1sts round and unraveling.

Woll hasn't looked great since returning from injury.

Hope I'm wrong with Sammy. But I don't think he'll handle the playoff heat here well.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Samsonov has had two brief stretches where he looked good, the latest being when he came back from his longer injury. Since re-returning from the leg pull or whatever it was he's been trash again. Can't track the puck, reacts the wrong way to unscreened shots, pushes off way too hard and goes sailing out of the crease. I don't know how anyone has confidence in his game. The win-loss record is just Andrew Raycroft 2.0.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Jones?

Is he even going to play on Saturday? I would think they will give that game to Woll.
IMG_8160.jpeg

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Doesn't seem like much of a riddle. Sammy is tremendously talented but his style in today's game lends to inconsistency, as seen through his career.

Ten bell save then too small in the net a moment later - some games just wont go his way, and if its a stretch it can spiral mentally.

The playoffs likely look similar to last year as this is sort of what we got right now. Going to need some puck luck or Woll to step in again.

Reactions: Al14 and authentic

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So this game is the one that is indicitive of the Leafs and Sammy's play?

Not the previous 30?
Did Samsonov just play 1 bad game after a great string. Yes, he did, however before that great string he was pure garbage and was even waived by our Leafs.

Past and current behavior is often an indicator of future behavior. Samsonov has proven that he can be weak of mind when things go bad for him. He needs to be strong, competitive, and a brick wall for our Leafs to have playoff success.

Any indication that his play is regressing is bad news when our Leafs are on the precipice of the playoffs. We need Samsonov to be a WALL and not a SIEVE.

Our Leafs signed Samsonov only because his former team DID NOT qualify to keep him. Washington let him go for a reason. Our Leafs are seeing the reason now too.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
This is ridiculous.

He’s playing himself out of the starting role. At this point I give Woll the net the rest of the way and hope he puts together some good games. If he looks decent then he’d be my playoff starter.

Fukks sake Sammy. You seem like a nice guy, but you blew it bud.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
This is not great timing on his part. Someone get the guy a glass of vodka, it's the only way Russians can calm their nerves

Reactions: Gilmour1996

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
4 goals .692 save% in the first period vs. Detroit.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I assume Keefe thinks the only path to redemption is a comeback now with Samsonov . really we should have been getting behind Woll to see if he could get on a run.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
NJ was a bad game in front a team who play a good defensive game overal

detroit is was a bad goal with a team who let him completly alone in 1st period

im more concerning about the D tonight because honestly i dont see anything at all wr can reproach on Samsonov on any of 3 1st goal

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
...Our Leafs signed Samsonov only because his former team DID NOT qualify to keep him. Washington let him go for a reason. Our Leafs are seeing the reason now too.
Might be a different reason than what you think.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's a battler and has his moments but can be super unreliable as in the first period tonight vs Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad