Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I don't know why you sound so confident. This is the exact type of contract the Rangers should be avoiding. They're going to be stuck in NHL purgatory for another couple of years. Either try to contend or tear it down and rebuild, anywhere in the middle just sets the organization back years.

Leaving your team bereft of any talent isn't the blueprint for success. You need to be very lucky for that to work, like Pittsburgh and Chicago were. Otherwise you end up in a perpetual rebuild like Edmonton and Buffalo.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know why you sound so confident. This is the exact type of contract the Rangers should be avoiding. They're going to be stuck in NHL purgatory for another couple of years. Either try to contend or tear it down and rebuild, anywhere in the middle just sets the organization back years.
There's no such thing as NHL purgatory. Reason from the middle all he time. Bottoming out fails more often than it works.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As I predicted Kovalchuk dismisses Eronko's speculations.

Илья Ковальчук: «У меня переговоров ни с кем в НХЛ еще не было»

"I had no negotiations with anybody."

He named sports(i.e. winning tge Cup), and family as major factors for his ultimate decision..

Because he legally can't. As of right now he can only discuss a contract with the Devils and whoever they grant permission. I would doubt they would give the Rangers that chance before other teams.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Because he legally can't. As of right now he can only discuss a contract with the Devils and whoever they grant permission. I would doubt they would give the Rangers that chance before other teams.
That is one of the reasons why I thought right away Eronko is assuming a lot talking about term, money and team like it's all done.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Leaving your team bereft of any talent isn't the blueprint for success. You need to be very lucky for that to work, like Pittsburgh and Chicago were. Otherwise you end up in a perpetual rebuild like Edmonton and Buffalo.
Let's be honest, Pittsburgh didn't do that either. Recchi, LeClair, Palffy, Roberts...these were guys on those teams when Crosby & Malkin were young. Past their prime, but they brought a veteran element and leadership to guide the younger group.

Reactions: Machinehead

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't see the fit, obviously from a competitive standpoint they don't seem ideal. Also this is the same guy that openly whined about the tax laws in the US on his way out. So he signs into one of the worst possible tax situations in the league outside of Canada?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't see the fit, obviously from a competitive standpoint they don't seem ideal. Also this is the same guy that openly whined about the tax laws in the US on his way out. So he signs into one of the worst possible tax situations in the league outside of Canada?

There's a huge Russian contingent in NY. Brighton Beach is one of the largest Russian populated areas in all of the US. It would be the closest thing he'd have to being in Russia.

I don't necessarily want him here, I'm torn on it, but I can see why he'd want to be here. If he doesn't care about winning a cup, the Rangers make perfect sense.

Reactions: haveandare

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There's a huge Russian contingent in NY. Brighton Beach is one of the largest Russian populated areas in all of the US. It would be the closest thing he'd have to being in Russia.

I don't necessarily want him here, I'm torn on it, but I can see why he'd want to be here. If he doesn't care about winning a cup, the Rangers make perfect sense.

He was close enough to there the last time he was complaining about how much he was being taxed...

I actually think the Florida Panthers would be a great fit if they want to pony up the cash.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
If Kovy had any contact with a team besides New Jersey that would be tampering. The Devils lose his rights the day of his 35th birthday which ironically is tomorrow.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Doesn't make sense for either side. NYR wants to rebuild, Kovy would ideally want to play for a contender? He's 35.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Dallas. With nichushkin potentially coming back and radulov already there. And Dallas badly needs more top 9 help

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Personally If the Rangers are going to throw big bucks at a UFA I would much prefer they kick the tires on J.Tavares

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He was close enough to there the last time he was complaining about how much he was being taxed...

I actually think the Florida Panthers would be a great fit if they want to pony up the cash.
Florida was in on him last year and needs a top 6 wing. Family here and Tallon does like KHLers (Dadonov, Belov PTO). If these rumors are not true I definitely see Florida in on him again.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

He has a giant house in Alpine, New Jersey, which is where a lot of the Yankees end up living. That's really his only financial reason he might want to play for a team in the NYC metro area, whether it's the Devils, Rangers or Islanders (apart from how much any of those teams might pay him).

Someone brought up Brighton Beach. I can 100 percent assure everyone that no Russian hockey player wants to play in NY because of it. There's nothing wrong with it, and it is heavily Russian, but it's still pretty much a working class kind of place. Multi-millionaires -- Russian or otherwise -- don't hang out there all that often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad