"I'll be judged on that decision." - MacT after hiring Eakins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MacT in essence trashed this team for 2 seasons, removing any shot that we had to be a competitive club because he needed a MacT clone behind the bench. He needs to be turfed period.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We would be light years ahead if Kreuger and nelson were on the same staff. 18 months wasted.

Southampton F.C. wouldn't be though :) They just beat Man United to get back in 3rd in EPL.

Little video about Southampton that has some interviews with Krueger if anyone is interested:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/pl-download-the-southampton-way/

Honestly, Lowe and MacT were right to be scared of Krueger staying in the org. If he stayed, he might be working with Nicholson right now figuring out how to fix this org from top to bottom which might mean Lowe and MacT are gone, or at least have very reduced roles. He's the ultimate professional and is extremely intelligent.

Such a waste to cast him off like we did, but again, it makes perfect sense considering Lowe and Friends only goal in their jobs are to keep them by avoiding any situations where they would be held accountable. If Krueger got enough face time with Katz, he likely would have started moving up the ladder to do that to Lowe and gang. I honestly feel kinda sick watching that video and listening to Krueger. This Lowe and Friends empire has hurt the teams future in so many ways and casting off Krueger like a piece of trash might have been one of the worst moves they've made.

Based on his EPL work, Krueger would probably be an excellent POHO. He's basically the opposite of Lowe in every way, smart, has integrity, ability to have a very forward looking vision, is all about positivity and learning from mistakes, he can handle himself in front of a camera, etc... Probably would have suited him even better than coaching. Again, opposite of Lowe, Lowe should have never moved above the HC level in the NHL, lol.

Last edited:

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
If we were to judge him on that decision he gets an F, and that's just on his day 1:
-the way he did it was utterly classless, just what we have come to expect from MacT,
-the lack of planning for such an important decision was shocking,
-his inability to appreciate all the positive things that were happening in the organization was laughable,
-the decision smacks of arrogance - he just assumed that even though things were going well he could make them better. He had no clue that there was any risk involved.

Even worse than making the initial mistake was his complete inability to learn from it. Now compound this new level of stupidity with the arrogance to blame this failure on the players and sell them off at fire sale prices. No sooner did he sell them off than he was dancing on the grave of DD in typical MacT fashion, pumping up his chest and acting like the "goaltending problem" that never even existed was solved when he had actually just made the situation worse.

MacT is still a classless idiot. It was a terrible decision compounded by other factors that are unacceptable in a position such as his.

F minus, fire him already. Lmao.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In fairness this org isn't very used to judging anything on performance..

Like I said many times here MacT hired himself for this job. He saw some of himself in Eakins and being a legend in his own mind handed him the job. To anybody that has performed interviewing and assessment in their job (and I have for years) smelled the danger signs in this one as soon as MacT's eyes got glazed over and starting talking in waxing terms about this coach. **** I thought he was in love. It was textbook case of losing objectivity. There wasn't a single thing in relation to the hire that was stated was valid. There wasn't a single valid reason ever stated for the need to replace the incumbent.

Its not only that this hire was bad. Its that MacT went out looking for an assistant coach and instead hired Mr. Bean as the headcoach. When an event like that occurs you pick your ears up and start to wonder what the hells going on. From the word go.

lets be clear here. Not only did MacT hire the biggest fail of a coach we've ever had here and keep him here for 1.5 seasons he fired a guy that's owning in the most competitive league of any kind in the world, a guy who learned how to manage in a completely different sport and is now a manager known around the world for some pretty incredible success and that has written a book and toured lecture circuits on exactly how he instills that success.

instead of this direction of hiring idiot could you imagine where we would be at if the club just made the simple decision and retained Krueger and had promoted Nelson to assistant coach here? With a view to taking over?
You know as well as I do that Krueger was fired because the idiots were terrified of having an intelligent man in the organization. His dismissal had nothing to do with his performance in any way, shape or form.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
You know as well as I do that Krueger was fired because the idiots were terrified of having an intelligent man in the organization. His dismissal had nothing to do with his performance in any way, shape or form.

See also, Huddy. OBC member who seemingly excelled at his job, way too much of a threat

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Tambo's head coach of the Oilers was better than MacTs by a country mile, but whats even funnier is that even Tambo's hiree as an AHL coach is a better coach than MacTs was.

Turns out the smartest thing MacT has done in his whole 18 months here is fire his guy and promote Tambo's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Bingo.

I think Todd Nelson has figured out he has to tone down his Hockey IQ in present company. He'll probably adopt an "Aw Shucks" Grant Fuhr type persona while putting together some great play and winning streaks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
See also, Huddy. OBC member who seemingly excelled at his job, way too much of a threat

did they fire Huddy or did he just leave? In any event, they let a good one get away, again.

Makes you wonder, eh.

I don't think they consciously think guys like Krueger or Renney are threats. I think its more of a case where they think: 'this guy will get in the way of us reaching our goal'

they've convinced themselves that only their way is right, (even if that person is very intelligent and may think differently than you for a reason). ergo, it's their way or the highway.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

That's such BS, you can argue their isn't enough intelligent people in the organization, you can argue that their is too much groupthink and cronyism, but afraid of having someone cause they are smart is utter nonsense. I could see someone who is smart and doesn't tow the company line getting fired, but just off the basis that they are smart and thereby imposing is ridiculous.

Summary said:
Rumor was that Huddy had 0 interest in returning if MacT wasn't behind the bench. He did do an interview for the Toronto Sun and he said the decision to fire him was Tambellini's call, but obviously the person everyone thinks is the power behind the throne in Lowe, would of very much liked to of kept his buddy Huddy. Huddy was here as a coach for 9 years, do you think it took them that long to realize he was either too smart or too good at his job and that they had to fire him. These comments are clearly wrapped in emotion from butt hurt fans who are sick and tired of losing and the general incompetence of the organization, but the actual reasoning given has no basis in reality.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe it's a bit too much tinfoil in the hat to think MacT/Lowe had enough brains between them to think that far ahead. I'll give you that one. :)

Krueger was certainly a better HC than the inept Eakins he was replaced with and no one can argue that. That team was at worst holding it's own against the West and under Eakins were horrific.

MacT made a bold move and stuck by it and wasted 2 years since this season is over even if Nelson has a Jack Adams second half.

I was mixed on Ralph as a coach but everyone knew he had brains and the players generally liked him... he would have been an asset worth keeping around especially if a decent co-coach/vet assistant coach was being brought in which is what MacT was supposed to have done.

MacT/Lowe have egos not much smaller than Eakins though which is why we are where we are.
For those that think it's a tin foil hat suggestion, I ask, why was Krueger fired and immediately removed from the organization when others are fired from their positions and reassigned to another job?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
For those that think it's a tin foil hat suggestion, I ask, why was Krueger fired and immediately removed from the organization when others are fired from their positions and reassigned to another job?

his wife wasn't a workout/hot yoga pal with Bucky and KLowe's wives? no seriously, but, he wasn't in the OBC loop.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
No idea but as already stated it is nothing more than baseless speculation unless you back it with something a little more tangible.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Meh, judge or don't judge, really doesn't matter. What matters now is going forward. Was Eakins a bad choice for HC? Sure looks like it but at the time lots of people on here were excited about getting him. Partly I think because we got him and Van/NYR didn't.

I liked Krueger as much as the rest but I'm not sure he was the guy to lead the team out of this mess either. This has been a terrible year for the organization from top to bottom and maybe, just maybe, they've finally turned a corner. There has been a ton of changes in both players and coaches, I want to see how things go from now until the season end. Remember the Jets turned it on last year after a coach change for a while, then slipped back.

People on here always want someone fired but in my experience it's often better to keep someone that learns from their mistakes. When I have a lot of time and money invested in someone I'm not going to toss that asset away out of spite. I actually think MacT can become a pretty good GM with Nicholson guiding from above (lets face it K Lowe is out of the picture)

This summer is what I'll grade MacT on now, weather or not he keeps Nelson as HC, or who replaces him as well as the roster moves he makes. This will be his biggest off season, and if he screws it up, his last.
Overall I understand what you're saying. What troubles me is the last paragraph. Lots of people were conceding last January that Mactavish's first season was a disaster and they were going to judge him on the off season. He screwed up that off season. He left Eakins in charge, left the center position in tatters, didn't bring in a number 1 goalie and spent to the cap on a bunch of fringe players. That was his chance wasn't it?

Just because he may have had his coaching problem solved for him doesn't mean other problems won't pop up. I haven't seen anything from him that has convinced me he's capable of quickly identifying and solving problems. He's not at the level he needs to be at to compete with other GM's and its wishful thinking that a guy who stubbornly believes he doesn't make mistakes is going to change his thinking at his age.

We've already seen what Mactavish has to offer as GM. It isn't going to get any better. Pull the plug on him already.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

it just seems incredibly overboard and unnecessary to suggest that people were fired just because they were too good. There are many reasons why Krueger was gone for good, and for all we know he was offered a position elsewhere in the org but didn't want it. We can't know. It doesn't help your anti-MacT stance to step into these fantasies when there are plenty of solid pieces of evidence that he should be fired.

I don't get the Krueger love either. That was a bizarre partial season with some horrifically bad lows. We were only 4 wins better than last place. If we're going by hindsight revision here, the correct move would have been to fire Krueger and promote Nelson.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
it just seems incredibly overboard and unnecessary to suggest that people were fired just because they were too good. There are many reasons why Krueger was gone for good, and for all we know he was offered a position elsewhere in the org but didn't want it. We can't know. It doesn't help your anti-MacT stance to step into these fantasies when there are plenty of solid pieces of evidence that he should be fired.

I don't get the Krueger love either. That was a bizarre partial season with some horrifically bad lows. We were only 4 wins better than last place. If we're going by hindsight revision here, the correct move would have been to fire Krueger and promote Nelson.
Comments like this ignore the fact that Krueger only played vs the west. Being just under .500 vs the west seems like a pipe dream right now but it was reality under Krueger.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Krueger should have been able to hire his own assistants and given half a season at least. Oh well.

I don't believe Krueger and Renney were let go because Lowe and MacT felt their jobs were threatened. I just think they're such dolts that they didn't see them as good coaches. Maybe because of their egos they felt threatened on a different level by intelligent men but I really don't think they were worried about their jobs.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
“What I think I have now is a group that’s capable of growth,” MacTavish said. “What I inherited was a group that was on the demise.”

Before MacT arrived we were 30th, 30th, 29th, 23rd place. After MacT hired Eakins and sabotoged the team we have been 28th and now 30th. How does MacT possibly say this with a clear conscience? Of course you have a team capable of growth you idiot there is no place but up if your team is the worst F#$king team in the NHL.

We're getting worse and that started with the Eakins hire. MacT trying to look smart by putting in his own guy when there was no need. Eakins trying to look smart by becoming the "money ball" of the NHL with his stupid Corsi.

MacT and Lowe have been damaging this franchise for 20 years now GTFO.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Southampton F.C. wouldn't be though :) They just beat Man United to get back in 3rd in EPL.

Little video about Southampton that has some interviews with Krueger if anyone is interested:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/pl-download-the-southampton-way/

Honestly, Lowe and MacT were right to be scared of Krueger staying in the org. If he stayed, he might be working with Nicholson right now figuring out how to fix this org from top to bottom which might mean Lowe and MacT are gone, or at least have very reduced roles. He's the ultimate professional and is extremely intelligent.

Such a waste to cast him off like we did, but again, it makes perfect sense considering Lowe and Friends only goal in their jobs are to keep them by avoiding any situations where they would be held accountable. If Krueger got enough face time with Katz, he likely would have started moving up the ladder to do that to Lowe and gang. I honestly feel kinda sick watching that video and listening to Krueger. This Lowe and Friends empire has hurt the teams future in so many ways and casting off Krueger like a piece of trash might have been one of the worst moves they've made.

Based on his EPL work, Krueger would probably be an excellent POHO. He's basically the opposite of Lowe in every way, smart, has integrity, ability to have a very forward looking vision, is all about positivity and learning from mistakes, he can handle himself in front of a camera, etc... Probably would have suited him even better than coaching. Again, opposite of Lowe, Lowe should have never moved above the HC level in the NHL, lol.

I cant disagree with your post.

Truth be told, Krueger was a good rookie coach that got the very best out of a poor team. In fact, he's excelled everywhere he's gone.

I honestly wish he could be swayed to come back here in a managerial role. I always liked his positivity, it was contagious.

Thanks for linking that vid!

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
did they fire Huddy or did he just leave? In any event, they let a good one get away, again.

Makes you wonder, eh.

I don't think they consciously think guys like Krueger or Renney are threats. I think its more of a case where they think: 'this guy will get in the way of us reaching our goal'

they've convinced themselves that only their way is right, (even if that person is very intelligent and may think differently than you for a reason). ergo, it's their way or the highway.

Which is amazing because if you look at the best CEO's and presidents of companies they almost unanimously say there looking for people who have strengths that they don't have (Jobs/Wozniak; classic example) and they also credit those people because they know it takes rational thought and people who are critical thinkers to challenge them, and them to challenge you. Eakins is a professional bull s h i t t e r but so are MacT and Lowe.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Krueger should have been able to hire his own assistants and given half a season at least. Oh well.

I don't believe Krueger and Renney were let go because Lowe and MacT felt their jobs were threatened. I just think they're such dolts that they didn't see them as good coaches. Maybe because of their egos they felt threatened on a different level by intelligent men but I really don't think they were worried about their jobs.

I honestly think Lowe pressured Tambo to make the decision to outs Renney and limited his trade options. I wish I was a fly on the wall. Seeing how everything conveyed via the MacT limited role of being rehired and then handed the GM position... it certainly looks sinister.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
When I read the title of this thread, I can't help but think

27748752.jpg

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
MacT's choice of Eakins was only one part of his horrible tenure here and should not over shadow the litany of other terrible, rookie like moves he has made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad