ilitch announces plans to build new arena

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
saw this come across my twitter feed

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer
Ilitch org. announce plans to explore viability of developing Detroit’s downtown, anchored by state-of-the-art, multi-purpose events center.

Bill Shea ‏@Bill_Shea19
Ilitch family, owners of the Detroit Red #Wings, say they're planning a $650 million arena and mixed-use project for downtown.

more info

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/12/04/ilitch-proposes-new-home-for-wings-in-downtown-detroit/

another article

No time frame was given, and the proposed arena location wasn't disclosed, but longtime speculation has centered on the area near the Fox Theatre, between Grand River and Cass avenues south of I-75 or west of Woodward Avenue north of I-75.

The Ilitches addressed the location this way: "While the exact location of the district has not been determined, it will be strategically located to serve some of the most underutilized areas in Detroit's downtown core, strengthening the link between Detroit's existing assets through a continuous, walkable environment connecting one district to the next and serving to improve the quality of life for residents and visitors alike."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...wn-development-that-includes-new-hockey-arena

Potential sites for new arena

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...06282&spn=0.022207,0.036478&z=14&source=embed

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
They deserve their own arena but this confirms that they'll be sharing it with the Pistons. Not sure how that would work though, seeing as it's two different owners.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They deserve their own arena but this confirms that they'll be sharing it with the Pistons. Not sure how that would work though, seeing as it's two different owners.

This is pretty common. It's been the case in Dallas for some time, for example (Mavs and Stars). They'd just split revenues of the arena 50/50 in that case.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Pistons will be renting and Wings (Ilitch) will own the building. Good way to make extra money. I would prefer those awful Pistons stay away from the Wings, but sadly money is money.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Scheduling shouldn't be an issue because if Allen Iverson has taught me anything about practice and basketball it's...

RedWingsNow*

I want to see how much city of Detroit money goes to this arena.
If Detroit's DDA TIF funding works like all the other DDA TIFs I've seen, the arena will be funded with tax dollars that would otherwise go to the schools, fire department, police department etc.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I want to see how much city of Detroit money goes to this arena.
If Detroit's DDA TIF funding works like all the other DDA TIFs I've seen, the arena will be funded with tax dollars that would otherwise go to the schools, fire department, police department etc.

The children would rather see their parents tax money spent on more important things like sports stadiums instead of schools and other trivial matters.

It really is sickening that cities agree to shell out money to BILLIONAIRES so they can have the privilege of paying for their stadium which will make them even more ridiculously wealthy. Ilitch at least gives back to the city, but i still dont think he should see a dime from Detroit.

The NHL should set aside a certain amount of their profits so that they can be used toward building new arenas. All the owners contribute so that when the arena is built, it will be the property of the owner. Make it so only one new arena can be built every 5-10 years. That number can increase if it is feasible. That sounds like more than enough time to build up the capital necessary and it's highly unlikely more than one new arena will need to be built every 5-10 years.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

I would prefer a new tax over taking money from the existing tax base.

A new tax is clear and honest.

TIF funding diverts existing tax money that would otherwise go to schools, FD, PD etc.
These institutions were already facing nearly impossible financial situations.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The children would rather see their parents tax money spent on more important things like sports stadiums instead of schools and other trivial matters. Does Detroit really need

It really is sickening that cities agree to shell out money to BILLIONAIRES so they can have the privilege of paying for their stadium which will make them even more ridiculously wealthy. Ilitch at least gives back to the city, but i still dont think he should see a dime from Detroit.

The NHL should set aside a certain amount of their profits so that they can be used toward building new arenas. All the owners contribute so that when the arena is built, it will be the property of the owner. Make it so only one new arena can be built every 5-10 years. That number can increase if it is feasible. That sounds like more than enough time to build up the capital necessary and it's highly unlikely more than one new arena will need to be built every 5-10 years.

There is fairness to having the city pay for some of it though. It creates a bunch of jobs, strengthens the areas restaurants/bars and willl ikely bring more tourists. He also plans to keep it downtown and help the city where he could just as easily stick it a suburb.

I'm really glad they plan on it being down town, makes it so much easier for me coming across the border for games

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Deserves to be called "Ilitch Arena" as well. Screw the corporate naming rights.

RedWingsNow*

There is fairness to having the city pay for some of it though. It creates a bunch of jobs, strengthens the areas restaurants/bars and willl ikely bring more tourists. He also plans to keep it downtown and help the city where he could just as easily stick it a suburb.

I'm really glad they plan on it being down town, makes it so much easier for me coming across the border for games

The economic impact of sports stadiums on a city economy is debatable.

Ilitch could stick it in a suburb, but he has so many Detroit officials in his backpocket that it would be silly to move it to a suburb.

Given the existing conditions of Detroit, I can't see how anyone can justify diverting scarce resources away from core city services.

Let's cut back some more on police and fire and schools and social services so that a bunch of rich, suburban white guys can drive to Detroit and watch hockey.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Awesome!

Another feather in the cap of Mr. I...can't wait to see the actual plans.

I like the Ilitch Arena idea. He's given so much to the city of Detroit, it's the least they could do.

I wasn't a fan of the earlier plans that were shown (with the prism shaped building and sports complex around it). I wouldn't want them to revert to the old Olympia either.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Given the existing conditions of Detroit, I can't see how anyone can justify diverting scarce resources away from core city services.

In your very same post, you seem to be contradicting yourself, which is it?

We know pro sports pump millions into an economy they have done studies on it. As long as Ilitch covers the majority of this it will be huge for the city of Detroit. I am not for a huge tax, but he should get some help, this is big for the entire community.

Also this is reaching Lidstrom (Lindstrom) status.

Mike Ilitch Sr., just one l in the name. With all he has done for the city I hope they name the arena after him and people learn how to spell his name.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Ilitch could stick it in a suburb, but he has so many Detroit officials in his backpocket that it would be silly to move it to a suburb.

Let's cut back some more on police and fire and schools and social services so that a bunch of rich, suburban white guys can drive to Detroit and watch hockey.

DDA money is not available to the city as general funds, so it won't go to PD, FD or schools anyway.

Add that to the fact that the people who run the city and distribute general funds are more dishonest/inept/corrupt than anyone involved with this new development, I say keep the money as far away from them as possible.

There are a lot of great things going on in the city, I hope and pull for its continued revival. But, every tangible amount of progress is happening due to people like Ilitch, Gilbert, Penske and the like (private sector business). The people who run the city do nothing but obstruct. EX: Belle Isle Lease situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad