Post-Game Talk: IIHF World Championships 2023 (Myers, Bear win Gold with CAN. Silovs wins Bronze with LAT. Silovs named Tourn. MVP)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every once and awhile a story comes along like Latvia in these world championships that warms the heart. Doesn't happen very often in any sport, particularly hockey.

The population of Latvia is listed at 1.884 million--not even as big as Metro Vancouver. And what a year for Silovs! MVP in Abbotsfrod; five NHL games to his credit; and now the IIHF World Tournament MVP.

And just turned 22 in March.......if he hasn't propelled himself to the top of the Canucks prospect pool, he has to be close.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get that Myers is defensive about the pundits' assessment of this Team Canada roster.

But let's face it....across the board, this might have been one of the weakest IIHF World Tournaments on record. No Russia, and just about every decent player in the NHL decided to skip the tournament and stay home.

All the Finns playing for Carolina weren't there.... no Draisaitl and no Stutzle for Germany...and the list of absentees goes on and on.

Most clubs sent a team comprised mostly of 'the willing'. But take nothing away from Latvia. They were the story of the tournament.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anaheim getting an absurdly good "consolation prize" at #2 this year.
I know that every report under the sun has the Hawks drafting a 'generational talent' in Bedard. And that Fantilli likely goes second.

But if you break down the two players strictly on the basis of the leagues they played in last year, Fantilli had a far better year.

I mean 65 points in 36 games at the NCAA level for an 18-year kid is absolutely insane. And winning the Hobey Baker is just icing on the cake. And Michigan plays in a far higher caliber league than the WHL.

Fantilli is listed on Hockey DB as already being 6'2" and 195.....which means that he'll probably play in the NHL at 6'3" and 215 or so, once he matures and gains muscle mass. But of course he looked completely comfortable playing against men in the IIHF World Tournament.

He's a heck of a 'consolation prize' indeed. Too bad he'll be long gone before the Canucks ever get a shot at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad