Game Analysis: IIHF World Championship talk

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
that term needs to be changed...generational means once a generation, not 1-2 players every draft. eichel is a stud, i just feel that term gets used way too often

I agree completely. As I see it a generational talent must be a player who can be a dominating player in his rookie season (as a youngster, not like Panarin), not only on his team but also in the league.

99 did it
Ovechkin did it
Crosby did it
McDavid did it, altho he was injured, and didnt play a full season. But what he did was impressive.

Eichel didnt. I would "only" put him as elite talent.

If you have a generational talent much more often than above mentioned, then find a new term for it. In my opinion it should only be used for a talent that is very very very rare in a draft pool. Like MacDavid or Crosby

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree completely. As I see it a generational talent must be a player who can be a dominating player in his rookie season (as a youngster, not like Panarin), not only on his team but also in the league.

99 did it
Ovechkin did it
Crosby did it
McDavid did it, altho he was injured, and didnt play a full season. But what he did was impressive.

If you have a generational talent much more often than above mentioned, then find a new term for it. In my opinion it should only be used for a talent that is very very very rare in a draft pool. Like MacDavid or Crosby

I think generational talent is more than just a good first year. Malkin's rookie season was better than McDavid's, does he also get that tag? Saying that, I don't really like the term generational, even though I tend to use it sometimes. :laugh:

Generational by the literal definition should be a talent that comes along once every generation. How can you even decide who was the generational talent for the previous generation? There isn't someone that was so much better than the rest. Some will say Crosby was the best, others will say Ovechkin, I'd say Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin, but if I had to pick, I think Malkin's best was better than the best of any of the three.

I like to consider the best of the generation into tiers, if there's no clear best talent. I have Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin in one tier with every other forward at least one tier below.

If McDavid doesn't run away with the title of best player of the upcoming generation, which he very well might, Eichel should have a chance to be in that same tier. I think McDavid will have a better career, but I think it'll be close.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Generational talents (Gretzky, Lemieux)
Franchise players (Ovi, Cid, Shrekin, Stammer, **** like that)

Where to set the bar? Maybe Sid and Ovi are both the generational talents of our time.

I see it this way. The more people in general inhabit earth, the bigger the chance of expectional athletes emerging. It's no question that there is the possibility of multiple generational talents.

Anyhow the Rangers ain't got any. Which sucks.

Ps.: Let's go Germany! :handclap: :handclap:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Sidney Crosby currently has the 5th highest ppg average all time. He will likely end his career with 500+ goals and 1500+ points.

AO will likely end his career with 700+ goals and 1500+ career points.

When it's all said and done I think they are borderline generational talents when compared to Gretzsky and Mario, but when looking at this current generation of NHL players Crosby and AO are the best, so that could make them generational talents.

Jagr is another one to be considered a potential generational talent.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think Laine's full game gets underrated. He's more than just a sniper, and his shot is the best since Ovechkin anyway, so its not like that one tool can't carry him. Laine has great puck control, puck protection, passing, hockey IQ, hands. He could improve defensively and he's not fast, but his skating isn't really a problem, he's just doesn't have a lot of speed in his skating.

I don't agree that Matthews is generational. I have Eichel as a better prospect in his draft than Matthews. Unless people want to change the definition around where any player who is deserving of being #1 in a draft is generational, I don't think you can say Eichel or Matthews is generational. McDavid is generational, I don't think you could say any of the rest likely will be generational, although they'll all have the chance to prove that they are or aren't.

I agree what people might think of 1st/2nd overall players being tagged as generational. I personally don't tag many as generational, just look at the likes of Landeskog and Yakupov. Good players, but not necessarily elite or exceptional. IMO, Auston Matthews will be a generational talent as a two-way forward, just like Toews is. Laine I feel is more of an elite sniper, just like Corey Perry is.

The way I see the term "generational" as something like being amazing at your position/style of play/how you are remembered/leadership. A generational talent in the term currently can be Lundqvist, Crosby, Ovechkin, Bergeron, Toews, Patty Kane, Doughty, Karlsson. McDavid most definitely will be in that category soon, but I agree that Eichel, although very good, will be elite. He could also very well be generational, but I don't see him obtaining the four key traits. I think Matthews will be an exceptional pro.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I agree what people might think of 1st/2nd overall players being tagged as generational. I personally don't tag many as generational, just look at the likes of Landeskog and Yakupov. Good players, but not necessarily elite or exceptional. IMO, Auston Matthews will be a generational talent as a two-way forward, just like Toews is. Laine I feel is more of an elite sniper, just like Corey Perry is.

The way I see the term "generational" as something like being amazing at your position/style of play/how you are remembered/leadership. A generational talent in the term currently can be Lundqvist, Crosby, Ovechkin, Bergeron, Toews, Patty Kane, Doughty, Karlsson. McDavid most definitely will be in that category soon, but I agree that Eichel, although very good, will be elite. He could also very well be generational, but I don't see him obtaining the four key traits. I think Matthews will be an exceptional pro.

Nice to have two potential U.S. born generational talents going forward if the NHL participates in the 2018 Olympics.

Nice core of Matthews, Eichel and Kane. Add in Kessel, McD, Pavelski, Max Pac, Larkin, and Jones to name a few. Should have a strong roster.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Sidney Crosby currently has the 5th highest ppg average all time. He will likely end his career with 500+ goals and 1500+ points.

AO will likely end his career with 700+ goals and 1500+ career points.

When it's all said and done I think they are borderline generational talents when compared to Gretzsky and Mario, but when looking at this current generation of NHL players Crosby and AO are the best, so that could make them generational talents.

Jagr is another one to be considered a potential generational talent.

Besides Gotdie Howe, Jagr is the only multi-generational player

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Lidstrom

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
USA vs Czech Republic and Denmark vs Finland are up first today for the QF. 9:15 ET.

Debating which massacre to watch...

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I think generational talent is more than just a good first year. Malkin's rookie season was better than McDavid's, does he also get that tag? Saying that, I don't really like the term generational, even though I tend to use it sometimes. :laugh:

Generational by the literal definition should be a talent that comes along once every generation. How can you even decide who was the generational talent for the previous generation? There isn't someone that was so much better than the rest. Some will say Crosby was the best, others will say Ovechkin, I'd say Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin, but if I had to pick, I think Malkin's best was better than the best of any of the three.

I like to consider the best of the generation into tiers, if there's no clear best talent. I have Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin in one tier with every other forward at least one tier below.

If McDavid doesn't run away with the title of best player of the upcoming generation, which he very well might, Eichel should have a chance to be in that same tier. I think McDavid will have a better career, but I think it'll be close.

You are talking about a generational player not a talent, as I see it.

A generational talent is from my perspective a player who is expected to be dominant in the league from day 1 more or less. Not many of those every decade. That player - like McDavid - can turn out to be "just elite" or worse as time goes by. Not every generational talent will become a generational player, thats why he is just a talent.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Finland up 3-1 on Denmark in the 2nd intermission right now, and Czech Repub tied with the USA 1-1 at the end of the 2nd.

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Sweden with a real stinker. Terrible defense, puck movement and confidence/willpower all tourney long. They will however ice an entirely different squad in the world cup this fall with an excellent defense but an aging offense. Will be fun to watch. Canada played very efficient Canada hockey

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

99 did it
Ovechkin did it
Crosby did it

Amazed that no one has included Orr, the best to ever play, in my mind.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Agree about Orr, at 20 i'd take him frst for my team. But for this discussion, then was a universe far far away.
Most posters never saw him, didnt live through that '72 Cup Final.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Fantastic player and person
Unfortunately he was done when he came to Chicago - but had the honor to meet him a lot and skate with him a bit as well when he lived there.
My brothers team had a tournament where Perry Sound participated and he was there with them. My Dad (who arranged it in Evanston) and him hit it off real well and we got to go to all his summer camps and drills for free. He had a helluva shot is for sure. Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were both there at times too. Dennis Hull ripped the hardest shot I would ever face. Terry Gregssons power skating camps were pure torture I remember (Gregsson lived with us then). Those were certainly different and fantastic times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad