GDT: IIHF U18 WC Bronze Medal game • RUS 1 vs. FIN 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
All in all this was a fair result. Despite generating a few good chances in the 3rd, Russia showed that it was no better than the 4th or 5th best team in the tournament. They had 4 or 5 good players, but they mostly played by themselves. Its up to the coach to find a way to generate a coordinated attack and play team defense, and Kravchuk came up miserably short. Tretyak looked visibly angry at the performance. Congratulations to Finland and especially their coaching staff, who did a fantastic job throughout the tournament.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russia without medal in both Ivan Hlinka and U18's. Wasnt this -95 class one of the strongest in a while?

A few good individuals, but no real depth or quality. This group looked very weak on defense, and if you can't play defense, you're going to lose, no matter how good your forwards are.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Kapanen looks like a gem, shades of Selanne when he's flying down the wing! First leading his team to Youth Olympic Gold, now leading them to Bronze here, kid's building a pedigree. Wonder how high he's ranked for next year's draft.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Russia without medal in both Ivan Hlinka and U18's. Wasnt this -95 class one of the strongest in a while?

The difference between winning a medal and not is often quite arbitrary in these these tournaments with the temperaments of kids, surrender a late goal in a 1/2 final game + perhaps an inexperienced coach that is unable to prepare the kids emotionally for a bronze medal game...and within a flash you go from this close to contending for a gold medal to not winning anything.... **** happens.

Congrats to the Finns though, they played well.. very deserving of a medal.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Congrats to our boys! :handclap: I can't help but wonder what this team could've been with Barkov and Saarela, but this was still a great performance. Lehkonen, Kapanen and Saros of course did great.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Kapanen looks like a gem, shades of Selanne when he's flying down the wing! First leading his team to Youth Olympic Gold, now leading them to Bronze here, kid's building a pedigree. Wonder how high he's ranked for next year's draft.

It's pretty early to say but some NHL scouts has him on top-10. Next season is going to be a big direction provider for him. Can't wait to see how he handles a big role in SM-liiga next season.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
All in all this was a fair result. Despite generating a few good chances in the 3rd, Russia showed that it was no better than the 4th or 5th best team in the tournament. They had 4 or 5 good players, but they mostly played by themselves. Its up to the coach to find a way to generate a coordinated attack and play team defense, and Kravchuk came up miserably short.
I think you're being too harsh, often happens out of anger.
It's not Kravchuk's fault if Zadorov and i think someone else i'm missing now, were not available. Glukhov was also missing the last 2 decisive games.
Finland G also outplayed Russian G, that's the difference. And actually Russia tied the game if not for that quick whistle.

I don't think Russia played bad and even less so against USA in the semis.
If this Russian team was bad, one has to wonder what terms should be used to describe this year Swedish team's play.

Congrats to Finland for a hard fought and earned bronze medal.
I have to wonder what are the real measures for Ilvonen: he is listed only a few cms shorter than others on team Finland, but he looked like a child out there, way smaller than anyone else.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I think you're being too harsh, often happens out of anger.
It's not Kravchuk's fault if Zadorov and i think someone else i'm missing now, were not available. Glukhov was also missing the last 2 decisive games.
Finland G also outplayed Russian G, that's the difference. And actually Russia tied the game if not for that quick whistle.

I don't think Russia played bad and even less so against USA in the semis.
If this Russian team was bad, one has to wonder what terms should be used to describe this year Swedish team's play.

Congrats to Finland for a hard fought and earned bronze medal.
I have to wonder what are the real measures for Ilvonen: he is listed only a few cms shorter than others on team Finland, but he looked like a child out there, way smaller than anyone else.

I can always be guilty of misinterpreting a result, but it looked to me as if the addition of 1 or 2 players wouldn't have made much difference. Other teams were even more adversely affected by missing players in the CHL playoffs.

In fairness, Russian youth teams, especially the ones below U20, have rarely been strong contenders for championships. I think this has to do with the absence of competitive hockey experiences for kids until they reach age 16 or 17. Many other countries have highly organized competitive structures for young kids, so that by the time they reach U18, they have nearly 10 years of competitive experience. The creation of the MHL and lower level leagues in Russia should begin to remedy that in the not too distant future. Russian kids usually start to catch up by U20, and by the time they reach senior level they are as good as anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad