Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
OK, I'm getting sucked into projected lines... nooooo

But I think what you'd want is Ritchie on the Seguin line as the boards presence/puck retrieval/net crashing guy. Move either Val or Chiasson to their off wing and play them together with Thornton on a slower paced 2nd line. Chiasson board work/puck retrieval, Val locked and loaded and getting open.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
With Daleys recent performance and salary it may just be the time to trade him

I just don't understand this kind of thinking.

Just when Daley has hit his prime and playing great for us there is no sense in trading him (+ he is one of the big leaders in the lockerroom and off the ice).

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014

But I think what you'd want is Ritchie on the Seguin line as the boards presence/puck retrieval/net crashing guy. Move either Val or Chiasson to their off wing and play them together with Thornton on a slower paced 2nd line. Chiasson board work/puck retrieval, Val locked and loaded and getting open.

Yeah I suppose he would fit on both I just believe Chiasson is the only way we acquire a solid defender.

Just when Daley has hit his prime and playing great for us there is no sense in trading him (+ he is one of the big leaders in the lockerroom and off the ice).

Its not that I want or think he needs to be traded but if gmjn has the chance to upgrade our Dcore I think Daley would be an attractive and valuable piece. As with Chiasson you have to give value to get value

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
You're not going to want to move Chiasson if you get Thornton without him being part of the package; he'd be the perfect guy to center him.

Thornton is the most likely to make Chiasson a good top six winger but if Chaisson is needed to bring in a better defender, Gardner, Larsson, Merrill, Myers, Ehrhoff, Gudbranson, whomever then I think the next best solution for wingers for Joe is McKenzie. A true garbage guy who can dig out the puck, go to the front of the net and be rewarded by Thornton's vision.

I don't know that McKenzie would otherwise have top six upside but if you put him and Nichushkin alongside Thornton he could make both players better faster than just about anyone else in the league.

I'd give up Daley to make that happen.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

Just when Daley has hit his prime and playing great for us there is no sense in trading him (+ he is one of the big leaders in the locker room and off the ice).

Daley's prime has been the same as his present for 3+ years. He's a 20ish point, excellent skating tweener defender with arguably one of the worst shots in the league from beyond 10 feet in front of goal. Yeah he had a great stretch run and playoffs but he's not going to score 3 breakaway goals in 10 games again and if he's necessary to bring in a clear upgrade elsewhere you do it. It's Loui Eriksson 2.0. Good player, can certainly be part of your team for the next 3 years but whose value has never been higher and can be used to upgrade the roster as a whole.

Dallas is better with Thornton + Fayne or Stralman than it would be with Daley + Grabovski.

MetalGodAOD*

If the price for Thornton is that low, I'm all aboard that train. Get it done Jim.

Would rather do Kconn + Strats/Guptill + 2nd over Daley + 3rd, hell I'd even go up to Kconn + 1st to keep Daley. Having Seguin/Thornton down the middle would be insane.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

What other second line centre options can we get for free that won't cost us an arm and leg in salary and term? I don't want to pay what we would need to for Spezza. Some team is going to give Statsny over seven million a season, other second line centres have just as much baggage as Richards, and the prospects others are advocating simply aren't solutions to make us better for next year.

leinoroster.png
:sarcasm:

Val really wouldn't be moving to his off wing, since he plays both wings. And IIRC he played LW for the most part in KHL.

It would be beyond awesome if Daley/Kconn/Goose - Guptill - 2nd could land us Jumbo Joe. That would make us leaps and bounds better.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Daley's prime has been the same as his present for 3+ years. He's a 20ish point, excellent skating tweener defender with arguably one of the worst shots in the league from beyond 10 feet in front of goal. Yeah he had a great stretch run and playoffs but he's not going to score 3 breakaway goals in 10 games again and if he's necessary to bring in a clear upgrade elsewhere you do it. It's Loui Eriksson 2.0. Good player, can certainly be part of your team for the next 3 years but whose value has never been higher and can be used to upgrade the roster as a whole.

Yes. 110%.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't understand how trading a defender (Goose or Daley) who played huge minutes in the playoffs for a 2C will make us a better team.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't understand how trading a defender (Goose or Daley) who played huge minutes in the playoffs for a 2C will make us a better team.

Because everyone has also signed Stralman to replace him.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

A ) neither will play the whole 82 games like they played at the end of the year. It's probably going to be the same facepalm-fest it was the first half of the season.

B ) We played fine without Robi&Dales for a stretch. Bringing in Jumbo f***ing Joe to that definitely makes the team better.

C ) They aren't part of the core going forward and aren't really first pairing material, truth be told...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Because everyone has also signed Stralman to replace him.

Oh yeah I forgot we're in La La Fantasy Land here.

If you trade Goose or Daley, get ready to facepalm a ton with whatever rookie or semi-ready defenseman that's chosen to bear the load.

You don't get anywhere icing an inexperienced D corps in the playoffs.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Oh yeah I forgot we're in La La Fantasy Land here.

If you trade Goose or Daley, get ready to facepalm a ton with whatever rookie or semi-ready defenseman that's chosen to bear the load.

You don't get anywhere icing an inexperienced D corps in the playoffs.

No doubt. Given the supply and demand in the defense market, I am going to be surprised if Nill is able to get much done to improve the blue line. I'd like a righty or two, but Stralman is out of the question.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Imagine a defense of one of Goose/Daley, Dillon, Gonchar, Nemeth, Jordie Benn and Connauton.

Shaking my head.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Maybe I missed the context of the Daley bit. I was more thinking of moving him for a better dman. Or trading him for a 2c only if you've got a better dman first to free up cap space. Daley's best asset is his speed. He's going to slow down at some point. Better to trade him when he's still got legs...assuming you don't weaken our defense from where it is right now.

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014
I said priority was to get a RHD big minute defenseman and if the price for Thornton is that low I feel we can acquire both. In no way should we move Daaley without bringing in a D unless management truly believes some kids are ready

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I said priority was to get a RHD big minute defenseman and if the price for Thornton is that low I feel we can acquire both. In no way should we move Daaley without bringing in a D unless management truly believes some kids are ready

If Nill can move Daley for Thornton and replace Daley with a Righty Dman that is comparable or better, I think we'd all be pretty happy. Thorton is a better forward than Daley is a Dman. We have no Dman that is irreplaceable right now on the team.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

If Nill can move Daley for Thornton and replace Daley with a Righty Dman that is comparable or better, I think we'd all be pretty happy. Thorton is a better forward than Daley is a Dman. We have no Dman that is irreplaceable right now on the team.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

If you move Daley, Chiasson or something else is probably used to grab another defender. Or you sign Fayne/Stralman to replace him. Moving Daley without another corresponding move doesn't make sense unless the return is so spectacular that you just put up with subpar defense for another year till Klingberg, Oleksiak, Jokipakka are ready.

To me Thornton for Daley + a prospect winger is such a spectacular trade for Dallas that I pull the trigger and hope I get my guy via FA or find someone's cap dump to replace Daley.

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014

I completely agree, just believe we should secure a D first then worry about 2C and maybe Im sipping the kool aid a bit too much but I think Goligoski (cant believe Im saying this) is irreplaceable. i believe he will keep his end of season pace up. Ruffs system is the perfect fit for him and it really started to click down the stretch a 50 point season isnt a stretch in my mind

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don't think you will need to trade either of those guys.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thread is almost done. hopefully my intel is correct and I am not cranking up the crew for no reason.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If you can't see how we'd be a stronger team with 6 forwards rather than a defense and goaltender I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad