Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
So much bitching about Igor's save % and you got a team like the Avs with Georgiev out here with a .898 as the Avs continue climb the standings.

You know, it must be nice for Geo to know that he doesn't have to steal or be the difference maker every.. single.. game.. because the rest of the team contributes to putting the puck in the net to take some of that weight off so he can still give them a chance at winning.

This fanbase does this year after year, with every goalie that's between the pipes when they have a hard time of carrying the whole team on their back, when every year we have a defense made of pylons. We can also add how insanely trash we are at scoring in 5v5 and the lack of line depth.
He hasn't been good. That's a fact. He had a .936 save % 2 years ago and a .916 last year behind a similar or even worse defense. The defense and puck handling on this team the last few weeks has left a lot to be desired but he needs to make some tough saves for this team to win. 3 straight games that the other guy has been the better goalie.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
He has the attention span of a gnat; looks surprised whenever he lets in a goal; doesn’t realize when opposing players breathe down his neck while he handles the puck. We will inevitably trade him, and he will find his game with someone else, which will frustrate us. Then the same thing will happen at that team, etc.

Of a gnat. Lol. I sure hope he goes! Because we don't deserve even half-decent goalies on this team the way I've seen this fanbase treat Hank, Geo, and now Shesty. Maybe he can find success in a team that realizes that the way a team plays in front of a goalie is just as important as needing your goalie to save a game, every game, as it seems quite a few people are asking for here.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
1st goal: East to west pass, three rangers covering two blues players, no one picks up the trailer, and Kyrou shoots while Igor is still moving to deal with the unimpeded pass.

2nd goal: 6 uninterrupted passes that start from behind the blues goal line. Three of those passes were in our D-zone on the rush with no setup time needed. Our D doesn't get a stick on the puck or any of the four blues players on the rush.

3rd goal: Besides the fact that we take three penalties in five minutes, all four PKers are on one side of the ice and leave a blues player alone right in the slot in front of Igor. This is probably an easy goal anyway if the blues player didn't have to jump and catch the pass mid-air. The dude still has time to jump, catch, settle, and shoot. Igor still has to make a point blank save right in front of him and Rangers are scrambling, can't get one stick on a free puck, and leave Kyrou open by himself in the circle for the goal.

4th goal: Zach Jones and that entire line giving Kyrou a breakaway from his own D-zone. Igor gives up the breakaway goal and STILL has to make another breakaway save a few moments after.

I think these losses are something much more than pinning it black and white on goaltending.

When you outshoot the opponent like we did during this streak and lose it'd a big part of it.

Of a gnat. Lol. I sure hope he goes! Because we don't deserve even half-decent goalies on this team the way I've seen this fanbase treat Hank, Geo, and now Shesty. Maybe he can find success in a team that realizes that the way a team plays in front of a goalie is just as important as needing your goalie to save a game, every game, as it seems quite a few people are asking for here.

Did you seriously include Geo on that list?

Reactions: CasusBelli

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Igor needs to step up ...............big problemas

Attachments

• scoring.jpg
    scoring.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
It is ok to say he hasn’t been good this year. He is still a great goalie but we definitely need him to get better by playoff time.

Other people we need to be better:
Zbads- great player but not a great #1 center. He only brings it 30% of the time. Looks completely aloof 5v5 and newsflash… his one timer is NOT that great

Miller- hasnt progressed physically or defensively. He personally gives up more high danger chances per game than he is worth imo. Honeymoon is over.

Fox- getting better each game!

Kakko/chytil- please heal… our bottom six is trash without you

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He's a great goalie but his brain isn't wired like Hank. To me it seems like when things are going well for him he can beat anyone but when things slip a bit he doesn't have Hanks mental make up to come back the next game and post a shut out. Imo it's all between the ears, and that can be fixed if it's addressed.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I guess a silver lining here is that his pedestrian play isn’t likely to warrant an 8 figure contract. I’m fine paying him his current salary but it’s a very easy to decision to move on if he’s demanding close to or over 8 figures.

We have the “best goalie in the league” and we consistently get goalied by other teams. That’s not how it’s supposed to work.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I guess a silver lining here is that his pedestrian play isn’t likely to warrant an 8 figure contract. I’m fine paying him his current salary but it’s a very easy to decision to move on if he’s demanding close to or over 8 figures.

We have the “best goalie in the league” and we consistently get goalied by other teams. That’s not how it’s supposed to work.
That’s because having the best goalie rarely matters in hockey; especially in the postseason; especially in the cap era

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Considering the Rangers luck with goalies with the success Rangers have had, it would not shock me if they had a goalie that had his best years early, and turn into a struggling goalie as the years went on.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think it’s mental. Igor appears to be more focused when he’s facing a lot of shots, under pressure. With the team playing better defense this season Igor isn’t getting constantly combatted and he just loses his edge. He is reacting, playing small rather than jumping the play, attacking shooters, deflecting passes. It’s like the difficulty young goalies face when they enter the league as a backup. They’re boy getting their reps, they stagnate. goaltending on a good defensive team is different from goaltending on a bad defensive team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Seems to me Igor's been struggling with his confidence all year and lately it's as bad as it's been this year. The Rangers as a whole have kind of lost it too though if your goalie is letting in easier ones team confidence is going to dive. Personally I think all of Igor, Mika and Adam (to a smaller degree) are not having great years......despite the standings. K'Andre has also been up and down and Schneider shaky at times and Jones when he's got into the lineup atrocious. Not enough bottom 6 scoring. Cuylle and Vesey have been alright there. Wheeler's been a waste. The injuries to Kakko and Chytil have taken a bite out of our depth scoring.

For the last few weeks I haven't found the team very watchable. Quite often I've found myself turning off the television before the game is even half over. I've skipped a couple games altogether and I'm thinking about skipping today's. Truth is it helps me not to be not all that aggravated and I have other things I can do. I read 108 books last year. I'm on my 11th and 12th already this year.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's playing like a 6'5 goalie. Pad/base is too wide. Limits his lateral movement.

Drops way too fast. Shrinks and makes himself small. Glove hand drops way too low. Not reading the play well.

Nothing he is doing right now is Shesty. He looks like a completely different player.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
He's had good games and even stretches this season. Two games ago he was great in a shutout then shit the bed against the Islanders. But today he was otherworldly I will say that.

Even if Igor shit this the bed tonight I still would've blamed him less than the team in front of him giving up nearly 50 shots to a team that played back to backs that consisted of regulation, OT, and a shootout.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even if Igor shit this the bed tonight I still would've blamed him less than the team in front of him giving up nearly 50 shots to a team that played back to backs that consisted of regulation, OT, and a shootout.

The team played even for two periods and went into a shell in the third period with a lead happens all the time. You literally always blame the team around the goalie. You have very low standards for a former Vezina winner. Literally any goalie can play well only when a team plays a perfect game around him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The team played even for two periods and went into a shell in the third period with a lead happens all the time. You literally always blame the team around the goalie. You have very low standards for a former Vezina winner. Literally any goalie can play well only when a team plays a perfect game around him.

I was there tonight and the 3rd wasn’t the rangers going into a shell. Dallas turned the heat up, they are a scary good team. Experienced and a ton of skill. Wedgewood made 3-4 A+ glove saves that would’ve changed the dynamic. A Final between us and them would be an instant classic

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was there tonight and the 3rd wasn’t the rangers going into a shell. Dallas turned the heat up, they are a scary good team. Experienced and a ton of skill. Wedgewood made 3-4 A+ glove saves that would’ve changed the dynamic. A Final between us and them would be an instant classic

Fine Dallas is a good team. That still kind of goes against the garbage narrative that the Rangers played poorly and poor Shestetkin had to deal with this shitty ass team that's been by the way carrying his 0.900 save percentage ass all season.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad