Iginla, Morrow and the chance they've been waiting for

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
“Brenden and I know that, however we got here, we're here now for one reason,†Iginla said. “We're here to win the Cup.â€

“There's just so much talent here, chemistry … everything,†Iginla said. “What I wanted was to play for the Cup, and I can't think of a better place to be. It's got such a great feel to it.â€

Meaning?

“You know, what's maybe made the biggest impression on me is how no one talks about the next game being big. The way I'm used to, we'd circle the next opponent and talk about why it's important. Here … you prepare, obviously, but the mentality is that it's just another game you're supposed to win. That's neat.â€

“It's just … it's about winning, man,†Morrow said. “There's the talent to win, the expectation … just the whole feel.â€

That feeling for Morrow came another way.

“One thing you won't see is a practice and then guys just get up and go right after. That's true a lot of places, but here … these guys will hang around all day. They'll talk, play games, whatever, but they want to be here. It's like a bunch of kids. Makes it fun, really does.â€

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3846563-74/iginla-morrow-cup

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How does Morrow know that everyone just up and leaves after practise? he's only played on 1 team. Sounds like that's what Dallas did, but Pens never do that. They always hang out and do stuff, which should be normal for any team IMO.

Good article anyway.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
How does Morrow know that everyone just up and leaves after practise? he's only played on 1 team. Sounds like that's what Dallas did, but Pens never do that. They always hang out and do stuff, which should be normal for any team IMO.

Good article anyway.

I remember years ago I think it was Therrien that said he needed to go tell the guys to leave the rink :laugh:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
it's a shame that Neal suffered a concussion. i was looking forward to see what impact Morrow's presence would have on his play. we'd been complaining all season that he needed a shot in the arm (beyond Geno being healthy).

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
The last part of what Morrow said has a lot to do with Bylsma, I think. He really is a players's coach.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Good article anyway.

I can completely believe that most team's players leave directly after practice, because a lot of teams aren't playing in facilities that accommodate players staying there all day, or the teams just aren't that close. If you're playing for any team in the bottom half of the league, the odds of any of those guys sticking around after practice for anybody is not good, I'd imagine.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Good article anyway.

Weird. It's almost like he knows people on other teams and that they talk about their respective teams.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Starts with Shero. People complain about him passing on guys like Semin or Jagr but maybe they aren't the kind of player that will stick around after practice? This "Penguins hockey" thing isn't a bunch of crap. Shero has a very strict idea of what Penguins hockey is and sticks to it. Even if it means passing on a more talented player.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Think about Jagr and Semin and compare them to Morrow and Iginla.

The contrast between the set of players is striking.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Pens supposedly have gained a rep as a franchise that takes care of its players off the ice and since Therrien is gone, has a pretty good rep as far as Bylsma being a players coach... maybe not so much among the younger guys, but i think the vets in the NHL voted him as the coach they most wanted to play for. I think as this becomes more widespread knowledge, you may see more free agents opt to come here.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The rep with younger players, I can sort of agree with. What he does with Beau will be very telling because nothing at all suggests the kid should sit for any length of time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The rep with younger players, I can sort of agree with. What he does with Beau will be very telling because nothing at all suggests the kid should sit for any length of time.

ya, this will be very telling. He's never given a young forward this kind of shot, but he's also never had a young forward who deserved it nearly as much as Bennett.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Good article anyway.

I bet Giguere will confirm that Colorado players don't stick around after practice. They're too busy with appointments with their travel agents for their trip to Las Vegas.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I bet Giguere will confirm that Colorado players don't stick around after practice. They're too busy with appointments with their travel agents for their trip to Las Vegas.

Or Flyers, they are too busy picking out golf clubs.

Giroux: Practise over yet? i have a sick golf club on hold, but they can't hold it forever.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Just read that by happenstance. An OK article but some of the side commentary was just stupid (i.e. "don't you dare call them rentals" and "commitment of a lifetime"). GMAFB. Do you know what the word commitment means? Iggy and Morrow may stay for another season or more, and they may not. Let's just let things happen and see, OK snapper? You're a reporter, not a fortune teller or cheerleader.

This is why people look at Pens writers as being just as much PR copywriters, as they are reporters. It's one thing to be in touch with fan sentiments and yinzer-style thinking, but it's another to start integrating it into your stories.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Just read that by happenstance. An OK article but some of the side commentary was just stupid (i.e. "don't you dare call them rentals" and "commitment of a lifetime"). GMAFB. Do you know what the word commitment means? Iggy and Morrow may stay for another season or more, and they may not. Let's just let things happen and see, OK snapper? You're a reporter, not a fortune teller or cheerleader.

This is why people look at Pens writers as being just as much PR copywriters, as they are reporters. It's one thing to be in touch with fan sentiments and yinzer-style thinking, but it's another to start integrating it into your stories.
I think you're way too harsh in this particular instance. It's a column (albeit a longer one than usual). He's supposed to give some side commentary in it.

I read the "don't call them rentals" angle as him saying the term is degrading for these two guys in particular, not that he thinks they'll be around long-term. That was just my take on it, though.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
These guys are rentals to push the team over the hump, nothing wrong with that, but lets not pretend Iginla would have left Calgary if they were a contender. He just wants a shot at the cup before he retires, he's a class act and a great person to have on a squad. Him and Morrow are gone after the season though, unless someone else with high salary gets traded.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
These guys are rentals to push the team over the hump, nothing wrong with that, but lets not pretend Iginla would have left Calgary if they were a contender. He just wants a shot at the cup before he retires, he's a class act and a great person to have on a squad. Him and Morrow are gone after the season though, unless someone else with high salary gets traded.

Definitely don't think that's a given, especially given that neither will cost as much going forward as in the past and Iginla stated before the deadline he was hoping ot find a longer-term home. It could def go either way but I think it's def incorrect to assume either or both are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad