Iggy's Hunt for the Cup part two

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
If Iggy had re-signed, he'd still be captain instead of Gio and this would be a different kind of a team I think. And probably not for the better.

I mean if he were to sign for a year or two with the Flames towards the end of his career. Everybody including Iggy knows this is Gio's team now; I just think it would be kinda neat not to mention ironic if Iggy's best shot to win the cup before retiring was actually in Calgary. It would definitely be a story book ending to that career..

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Yeah, I guess that is pretty much what I'm saying.

I can't imagine many would agree with that statement.

I get it that Calgary is currently hanging on to a wild card spot, but they are light year's from being a consistent contending Stanley Cup team.

The rebuild is going quite nicely to be sure, but it's still a rebuild.

You really think they have a better chance to win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years than Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota and many other teams?

Those teams already have a consistent core capable of getting deep into the playoffs. Calgary's core required to be a serious contender is pretty much unestablished right now.

I like your optimism, but winning the Stanley Cup is really hard.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I get it that Calgary is currently hanging on to a wild card spot, but they are light year's from being a consistent contending Stanley Cup team.

You really think they have a better chance to win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years than Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota and many other teams?

Those teams already have a consistent core capable of getting deep into the playoffs. Calgary's core required to be a serious contender is pretty much unestablished right now.

Maybe it's optimism, but just look at how well our prospects are doing. Look at how well everyone is playing under Hartley. I am saying we are not too far off. 2-4 years is my guess.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ye of little faith. I am pretty sure we are in a playoff position at this very moment!

:sarcasm:

I know you're joking, but to address the point in general it's going to take Monahan at least another 1-2 years to be a significant impact player in the NHL. Bennett is probably 3-4 years away from getting to a similar level. I think Gaudreau could realistically score 65pts next year, if not more. But Sven, Poirier, and Klimchuk are still no where near being impact players and also probably need a few years. Then once these guys get to that level, they are going to need learn how to win in the playoffs, which is the next step, once you do that then you are a contender IMO.

I think Granlund and Ferland are going to both be good NHL'ers, but probably more support players. We have had lots of good encouraging signs, but we are still in the beginning stages of this things and I think we are a long ways off.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I know you're joking, but to address the point in general it's going to take Monahan at least another 1-2 years to be a significant impact player in the NHL. Bennett is probably 3-4 years away from getting to a similar level. I think Gaudreau could realistically score 65pts next year, if not more. But Sven, Poirier, and Klimchuk are still no where near being impact players and also probably need a few years. Then once these guys get to that level, they are going to need learn how to win in the playoffs, which is the next step, once you do that then you are a contender IMO.

I think Granlund and Ferland are going to both be good NHL'ers, but probably more support players. We have had lots of good encouraging signs, but we are still in the beginning stages of this things and I think we are a long ways off.

Many prospects wash out and never hit their ceiling.

Calgary has many decent prospects, but there are lots of teams with just as many. And many of those teams have established cores already.

I think many are jumping the gun here. It's not just a question of when Calagry will be a contender, the term "if" is still very much in play.

if we get one decent NHL'er from Sven, Klimchuck and Poirier, it would not be an unusual result.

I think it's safe to asume that Monahan will be a decent enough player, but we don't now if he'll be an impact player of all star quality.

Until Calgary has an established core of players who are young and look ready to be above average players for 5 years or more, talk about being a sure fire contender is premature.

Let's let Calgary make the playoffs first. That's tough enough right now.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd rather have Iggy here on the RW than Seto right now.

Just don't know if the team's styple of play suits his... experience level.

Would be kinda cool to pick him up at trade deadline in 2 years when we're looking like a legit playoff team. He'd still probably be a servicable 3rd line RW.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Id probably rather have jooris as a 3rd line rw in 2 years than iggy, especially if hartley is still the coach.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

I implore you to take another look at the 2004 Flames roster and tell me with a straight face that prior to the playoffs, you viewed that group as being one capable to make the kind of run they did. I am curious to know how many "light years" away you really think our group is from being one who competes as hard as they did. You said it yourself, this teams core is pretty much unestablished right now in terms of whether or not they are capable of contending, but what we do know is that they're capable of competing. Prior to the '04 run, the Flames hadn't even been to playoffs in like 8 seasons, so if you ask me, I would've told anyone who considered that roster even remotely competitive in comparison to the Wings, Sharks, Bruins, Flyers, or even Tampa Bay (and many other teams) they were downright insane, never mind optimistic.

I'm not saying we're ready to contend. I'm saying we might be by the time Iggy were to re-sign here for a season or two to end his career -- which might be as good an option for him to consider, if any (perhaps, as I previously mentioned, besides powerhouses like Anaheim and LA) and I mean it. I for one, would love to see it happen.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If by some means we make the playoffs as early as next season, I could see the following year it would make sense to acquire a vet like Iginla. I don't think we'll make it this year, but I actually think next season we will be in serious contention for a playoff spot. In saying that though, I personally have a much different definition of a playoff team and a contender.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
If by some means we make the playoffs as early as next season, I could see the following year it would make sense to acquire a vet like Iginla. I don't think we'll make it this year, but I actually think next season we will be in serious contention for a playoff spot. In saying that though, I personally have a much different definition of a playoff team and a contender.

I agree with this for the most part. A playoff team doesn't necessarily constitute a contender, and although there is a generally agreed upon formula for how to build a winning team, there are intangibles that keep it from being black or white. For example, you have a San Jose where it feels like they should have cruised their way to at least one cup by now, but whereas now I always expect them to make the playoffs, I never expect them to win.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Quite possible the team takes a step back next year because of a very inexperienced lineup.

Baertschi, Ferland, Reinhart and Ortio are all waiver eligible and will be looking for spots. Right behind them and ahead in some cases, there's Bennett, Poirier and Wotherspoon. Add in the Flames 2015 first rounder and any possible surprises like Jooris this year and next years lineup could be really, really young (not to mention Granlund, Jooris, Gaudreau and even Monahan are regulars).

So, in a lot of ways, the injuries to Stajan, Colborne and even Backlund are quite fortunate. Gives guys like Granlund and Jooris NHL experience while putting Monahan on an accelerated learning curve.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Granlund-Bennett
Baertschi-Backlund-Iggy*
Byron-Bouma-Jooris

(Ferland/Reinhart/BVB/Poirier)

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wotherspoon
Smid-Wideman
Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

*re-acquired at the trade deadline in a deal around Glencross

As inexperienced as that lineup looks, I would be totally comfortable sending that group into the playoffs and dare them to surprise me.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I'm not saying we're ready to contend. I'm saying we might be by the time Iggy were to re-sign here for a season or two to end his career -- which might be as good an option for him to consider, if any (perhaps, as I previously mentioned, besides powerhouses like Anaheim and LA) and I mean it. I for one, would love to see it happen.

I think saying that "they might be ready to contend by the time that Iggy could sign with them" is lights years away from saying that "Iggy has a better chance of winning a Cup with Calgary than any other team, except perhaps Anaheim and LA".

It's hard to argue with the first statement, as it might happen. It's within the realm of possibility.

The second statement is simply impossible to even debate.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

THis is a reasonable position to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad