If your canadian, have you ever rooted against Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geese_Howard*

i hate sens, habs, nucks, and probabley the other canadian teams fans as well,but you can bet 1 thing when it comes to canada 99.9% of us are on the same page and rooting for Canada and no one else. Sens & Leafs best player plays for Sweden but I bet you one thing, if its a Canada vs Sweden final, for that night alone, leafs and sens fans will be on the same page. Just like Flames and Oilers fans.

PavelBure

Jan 5, 2003
edmonton
i lived in canada my whole life and i have never once cheered for canada. i always want them to lose. i always have and will cheer for russia!!!

1datsyuk3*

Air said:
I would never root against my country or for another country, for that matter, but I don't look down at those who do it. No matter the size or importance of the tournament, no matter who's playing, it's never even occured to me to root for anyone else.

I think I would be seriously ***** slapped if I was to root for any other team other than Canada while my family and friends sit around the TV....and i would deserve it too....

I may not like all the players, but it's whats on the front not the back of the jersey that matters....

Rover*

Wow we have a bunch of brett hull's here. :eek: It's understandable though for those that were born in canada, but grew up in another country, since you wouldn't really have any attachment to canada if you don't even remember it and left as a kid. For the record, I would rather be shot than root against canada.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Of course not. I like the idea of hockey being an important cultural institution in Canada, and I think being able to say we're the best in the world at the game is a matter of pride, and it plays a role in maintaining that cultural significance.

I have a soft spot for the Finns for that reason as well, because hockey sounds like the most popular sport over there and so many people play it. Plus I like their style of play.

I also have trouble "hating" players on other NHL teams, it just seems really immature. So disliking other Canadian players doesn't bother me, because I don't really dislike any NHL players, besides maybe Sean Avery.

But really, I don't care how favoured Canada is or that they're never the underdogs. It's always Go Canada Go.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
If you are a true Canadian hockey fan, cheering against Canada is just not done. I personally think this talk of 'I'll cheer for whoever is most entertaining..' is just a silly way of trying to rationalize bandwagon jumping.

Mike Works*

I'm cheering for Italy in this upcoming game, but that'll be the only time ever (and it's more of a comedy cheer, but WHO KNOWS)

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Westlander said:
If you are a true Canadian hockey fan, cheering against Canada is just not done. I personally think this talk of 'I'll cheer for whoever is most entertaining..' is just a silly way of trying to rationalize bandwagon jumping.

I supose I'm not a "true" Canadian hockey fan if I don't cheer for the Leafs either. Get real. I was born in Canada, I've never set foot outside of Canada my entire life. I live in Canada, I work in Canada, I pay taxes in Canada, and I can cheer for whoever I damn well please. I have that right as a Canadian citizen.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, but I'm seriously rooting for Slovakia this year due to this completely bungled player selection.

Lunatik*

missinthejets said:
absolutely. The north american media tries hard to fabricate a Canada/USA rivalry but everyone in Canada knows deep down that facing Russia in the final is the way it should be.
to me there is no satisfaction in beating the Russians... they never have their best team because of the politics involved... and i won't dotn see the satisfaction in beating the US this time... I'm looking forward to facing the Czechs and getting vengance for '98... to me i get the most satisfaction out of beating the best team... and this year it's not the US or Russia

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
Either you're with us, or you're against us.

Where have I heard that before? :eek:

Seriously, Canada is a multi-cultural society and some "Canadians" still have emotional ties to their mother country, even though some were born in Canada. I can understand their loyalty.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
Shane said:
I supose I'm not a "true" Canadian hockey fan if I don't cheer for the Leafs either. Get real. I was born in Canada, I've never set foot outside of Canada my entire life. I live in Canada, I work in Canada, I pay taxes in Canada, and I can cheer for whoever I damn well please. I have that right as a Canadian citizen.

It is damn right. Sports is just sports, not war. You can choose any team you want. It's a same thing when you support professional team. You don't have to support Leafs just because you were born and raised in Toronto. ;)

Of course, I don't deny rooting for your own country is most usual.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Backin72 said:
Either you're with us, or you're against us.

Where have I heard that before? :eek:

Seriously, Canada is a multi-cultural society and some "Canadians" still have emotional ties to their mother country, even though some were born in Canada. I can understand their loyalty.

source : The Holy Bible

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
missinthejets said:
absolutely. The north american media tries hard to fabricate a Canada/USA rivalry but everyone in Canada knows deep down that facing Russia in the final is the way it should be.

Yeah, I must admit also that I'd much rather see the Swedes, Czechs or Russians in the finals than the Americans.

The argument can and should be made, however, that Canada-USA might just be the rivalry of the future. The US is starting to put half-decent crops of kids together, whether that translates to the NHL remains to be seen, but it is a possibility.

Either way, I just hope Canada goes all the way. It doesn't matter who we play, but I'd like to beat all the big 7. Leave no one standing, and win the honourable way - no ducking a powerhouse on a redline floater! :teach:

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Shane said:

What do the Leafs have to do with anything? It would stand to reason that anyone who considers themselves a true Canadian hockey fan would support Team Canada. You have the right to cheer for who you want, and I have the right to my opinion. When did this become a discussion of civil liberties?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I will always cheer for Canada.

I like competition as well. I was cheering for Sweden to beat Belarus, and was very disappointed when Sweden in 2002, because I wanted Canada to play the best competiton. It gives me more reason to cheer even louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad