Proposal: If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner?

someonestolemyname

Jun 15, 2013
Toronto
Everyone keeps saying Rielly has so much more upside that Gardiner, just because he was picked at number 5. Everybody thought Schenn was going to be a big part of our core, didn't come close. All im saying is why not keep Gardiner until we are positive that Rielly will be as good or better. Gardiner is still getting better too. Be patient leaf fans we could eventually have an amazing 1-2 punch with these two guys.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The return would have to be an measurable overpayment.

Was there a more dominant looking player in the series? I don't recall if there was. The ease with which he seemed to dictate the tempo of the game was startling at times. Gardiner looked like the best OD in the playoffs...Could care less if that comes across as hyperbole -- I saw what I saw.

At some point, an organization for the greater good has to establish a culture that cultivates and retains it's young, home grown talent.

I would rather see Gardiner post playoff performance with momentum and a full year behind him to see just exactly what we might have here.

If I'm the only one who thought Gardiner looked like a superstar I'd be shocked. Best part? He's here and doesn't require giving up anything to get.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Welcome to Toronto "fandom" where we sometimes don't realize we have a talented player til he is traded and does well elsewhere.Some fans think we are close to contending now and are willing to give up picks and prospects while others realize we have a ways to go, we have started the rebuild and we are still 2-3 years away "if" we stay the course, draft and develop, make smart trades when the time is right and manage the cap properly. I'd like to be a perennial contender. We are getting there but we aren't there yet. Yes, some of us don't understand the Bernier trade and would rather see us use assets (if we have to) to address areas of need.Welcome aboard.Take your sea sickness meds...it isn't smooth sailing...lol

Thanks, I was wondering if I had just missed something along the way. I've got the gravol ready! :) Gonna be some really tough games for me when the Leafs/Wings play.

Also, I was gonna buy a #34 Jersey, then they made that trade so I'm like "Okay, maybe number 51 instead" and I read this title and just about lost it lol :)

Thanks for answering, it's confusing because there's actually SO much media coverage of the Leafs here in Toronto it's hard for someone who isn't a die hard to get a good sense of what's going on. Like I said, the Wings are my team but I live here, I root for the Leafs and my attitude has always been "If it isn't us, I hope it's Toronto" because all the people I work/live with care so much.

Gonna be a bumpy ride indeed. Thanks again :)

FarOut

Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
I honestly think it's too soon to trade him. Dude has shown some serious skills under playoff pressure.. this is the type of player I'm always hoping somehow finds his way on the leafs..and we could potentially have him throughout his prime..he could be our Niedermayer for years to come. I will be seriously disappointed if he gets dealt at this stage, at least give him a full season under Carlyle. Be patient, grow our own talent. Find other ways to acquire assets to fill our holes. This is a special player.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
I sincerely hope hes not traded, unless of course its an overpayment.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Gagner or Stats for Gardiner is a joke for us.

Couts and ROR is close to fair value for both parties.

RNH has a more value than Gards and we'd have to add.

Thornton would work, albeit he is 33 years old.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
No I wouldn't. It's a joy watching him skate past and around opposing players, and effortlessly. Obviously if you can make the team better you do it, but I wouldn't trade him for another prospect. I'd only consider trading him in a package for someone already established.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
No I wouldn't. It's a joy watching him skate past and around opposing players, and effortlessly. Obviously if you can make the team better you do it, but I wouldn't trade him for another prospect. I'd only consider trading him in a package for someone already established.

Exactly.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I was pissed when the Leafs traded Carlyle before they found out what they really had in a player...I said the day of the trade that he will win the Norris, and yep he did of course...do not want to see another really good young defensemen traded before they know what they really have. I really do not think that Nonis will trade this guy unless a knock your socks off deal is offered that he just can not refuse.

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
Id trade him tbh. Hes another one of those overrated players on here who hasnt really proved anything.

Gardiner + 1st + kadri for RNH. Do it up nonis

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Id trade him tbh. Hes another one of those overrated players on here who hasnt really proved anything.

This is awful.

Gardiner gave us a glimpse of what he can do in the series against Boston. It would be foolish to trade him right now as his stock isn't overly high but he has also shown signs of improvement. He's got the potential to be an elite PMD in the show and if he continues next season like he finished this one, he's not far off from stardom.

Mar 26, 2010
NO. Sure trade Gardiner when he's past him prime or in his 30s but now? HELL NO!

Gardiner was the best D man on the ice for BOTH teams in our first round against Boston. Hands down.

He was owning Boston breaking their neutral zone trap. He did it with ease, not even breaking a sweat.

No question this guy is the real deal. IMO he has more potential than Reilly (and I like Reilly).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would move anyone on the club for the right value. There are a bunch of players I would keep ahead of Gardiner. He has a very nice upside, but so would any player they dealt him for. Three possibilities exist with a deal. They get boned, they get equal value, or they do the boning. So getting boning Nonis!

Mar 26, 2010

Say what? No offence but that is delusional. Are you sure your not an Oilers fan? This might be the very worst trade proposal I have seen.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Plus that doesn't solve our center situation because you're giving up Kadri as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad