If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's plain to see that he has more to offer. He flashed it in the 2nd half of the 18-19 season and when he was healthy in the 19-20 season.

If he were scoring at a 30+ goal clip for us he wouldn't be discussed as potential trade bait.
True statements, but maybe he should be traded as soon he starts producing well again & raises his value to '19-'20 levels. He's way too inconsistent, which is now way worse considering $5.7/4yrs. I bet SY trades him within 1 year from now.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I won't be mad if we draft 2nd overall in 2022 or even as far back as 4th in 2021. I think this year's draft the value of #1 to #5 are very close to equivalent.

That said, I think at this point I'm for trading Mantha for a pick and a player coming back that's a pending UFA.

I can see teams in the North division looking to add a player like Mantha. Montreal and Edmonton would be good fits.
What could each team offer?

We'd have to take Loui Ericksson back from Vancouver to make any moves. I also don't think that Mantha moves the needle for that team much but they do need another legit top 6 winger.
What could we get from Vancouver?
From VAN I'd want Boeser, but they'd likely decline. Though I've read he or JTM may be lost in ED, so who knows. They wouldn't trade us Bo-rvat, though he'd be my 1st ask. If Loui was included, we should be able to get Boeser+1st?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
From VAN I'd want Boeser, but they'd likely decline. Though I've read he or JTM may be lost in ED, so who knows. They wouldn't trade us Bo-rvat, though he'd be my 1st ask. If Loui was included, we should be able to get Boeser+1st?

I don't think Van gives us a top 6 player for one of ours, but who knows? They may be so elated to get rid of Ericksson's contract they'll give him to us.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If you trade Mantha it must only be for a younger
- top 6 center
- top 3 LHD
- 1st rd pick

Anything else is just a waste
I agree w/Top6 C & Top3 LHD. The 1st is a sweetener to me, unless it's a top 3-ish pick. If over the next 1yr (hopefully a lot sooner though) Mantha asserts himself & raises his value back up to '19-'20 levels, I wouldn't wanna wait on that perfect scenario to play out for the (2C/Top3LD). That's why I'm in favor of Boeser+1st+Loui for Mantha. Brock is very consistent, though also injured frequently. He's one of a few exceptions to that scenario I'd consider.

I'm heavily in favor of Hanifin+Monahan for Mantha+ '21 1st (1OA protected). I see that to be very fair for both teams. @Zetterberg4Captain What's your feedback on these trades? Any other trades in mind?

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Mantha does need a change of scenery. The problem with being on a loser team is that you feel you're working hard and losing anyways. It's understandably demoralizing, and he doesn't appear to have the mental fortitude to cope with it like Larkin and Bert.

I would put the BLM line back together to increase his trade value then ship him to a playoff team. Whatever reasonable return Stevie can get.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think Mantha does need a change of scenery. The problem with being on a loser team is that you feel you're working hard and losing anyways. It's understandably demoralizing, and he doesn't appear to have the mental fortitude to cope with it like Larkin and Bert.

I would put the BLM line back together to increase his trade value then ship him to a playoff team. Whatever reasonable return Stevie can get.
Maybe Mantha said all the right things before & after signing his contract about wanting to be a RW long-term, but his on ice play/stats/eyeball test don't match it. Guess he couldn't say anything else though at the time, as he wanted to get paid fairly. No excuse for his current play though. I'd ask him if he wants to get traded.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wouldn’t mind us finding a way to get Virtanen if he’s available for like a 5th. His hockey sense and head may not be enough to be anything but a bottom 6er but he did have a decent season last year and hits anything that moves

Reactions: LazyT

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Hypothetical but what would you be willing to give up for Nolan Patrick?
injuries and concussions have slowed his progress and likely stunted his top end potential but for a team desperate for young center depth, I could see him being a mid risk potentially high reward move.

Reactions: LazyT

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Unsure of what Vegas is looking for so could be totally off base but I wouldn’t hate a deal similar to

to Vegas: Mantha

to Wings: 1 of Cody Glass/Krebs and a 2nd
This is an idea I’d be all over. Glass and Krebs are both highly regarded prospects, both play a position of need and both are much better age aligned with the Zadina/ Seider/ Beggeren/ Raymond core that are likely going to be the drivers of the wings next competitive window

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Without getting too into the weeds with paywall stuff, the Athletic trade board mentions that there is a belief Yzerman might deal one of Bertuzzi or Mantha

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Without getting too into the weeds with paywall stuff, the Athletic trade board mentions that there is a belief Yzerman might deal one of Bertuzzi or Mantha

I just don’t see it. Bert has missed so much time and Mantha’s value is low right now.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I just don’t see it. Bert has missed so much time and Mantha’s value is low right now.

I would agree that Yzerman won’t sell low on either. My sense is he’s open to a deal for just about anyone, but he has a price it would take and he won’t be compelled to go lower than that price since he doesn’t have to.

Reactions: MVPete96

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Here's the quote from The Athletic:
Luke Glendening, Red Wings: He’s just about the perfect depth add for a team hoping to make a long playoff run. For a team high on skill but looking for an edge on their fourth line, Glendening might be the best option. He wins a ton of faceoffs and is miserable to play against. He’s also a pure rental. The more interesting speculation surrounds the younger Detroit forwards up the lineup. There’s also a belief that Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman would consider trading one of his younger forwards like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha in the right deal. “I wouldn’t be shocked if (Yzerman) moved one of his top young forwards,” said one exec. “I think he’s listening on a lot of things.”

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Here's the quote from The Athletic:

I mean it does make sense. If he doesn't feel Bert/Mantha are top line players, then that sets back the Wings window. If the window is set back a couple of years, then it doesn't make sense to hold on to guys that probably will be at the tail end of their prime when we contend. I'd rather move Mantha than Bert as I think Bert fits in cap wise and compete wise better than Mantha does long term, and Bert has the type of game that normally elevates in the playoffs. I'd trade either for the right young center or D, because ultimately both are wingers.

My only untouchables remain Seider and Larkin. Hronek would require us to get a better dman coming back or it doesn't make sense from a depth perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad