• Fire Adams, keep Granato

• Fire Granato, keep Adams

• Keep both Adams and Granato

Results are only viewable after voting.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Granato and his entire staff is definitely gone if I'm in charge. I think they are a big problem with this team. I think proper coaching sets them straight and can probably at least make the playoffs. I'm on the fence with Adams. I don't completely hate everything he is done, but he makes passive Darcy Regier look like a wheeling and dealing mad man in comparison.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I fire Granato and staff immediately. I immediately hire like 5 more scouts.

I then have an intense, detailed discussion with Adams. I want his vision/plan. If, as I think, he doesn't really have a plan....he's gone.

That about sums it up

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What absolutely HAS TO be done is the hiring of a legitimate hockey man to run the organization, tell him he has the control to do whatever he wants to do, and the owner step the hell out of the way.

Now, if I was that hockey guy running the show, Granato and Adams would be shown the door by the time the ink dried on my contract.

I would then hire a GM that has been there and done that for multiple years with success and let that GM immediately hire his own head coach and let him sculpt the roster the way he wished.

Would we win a championship?

Who knows.

Would it work and would we become relevant again?

Yes. Yes we would. As long as the idiot owner stayed the hell out of the way.

Reactions: jd1970 and kirby11

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The team is devoid of disciplined players with the intestinal fortitude to overcome adversity and awash in low iq players. That’s on Adams. That hose same players are not prepared to play when the opening puck drops is on Granato. You may find someone to get them to be ready from the get go but what happens when they face adversity? I voted both.

Reactions: rogking65

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Beware the disaster scenario like in the USA State of the Union Address where both houses of Congress are assembled, the cabinet, the Judiciary, etc., they keep 1 or 2 members of the cabinet in a locked room in case something tragic happens so there is continuity in the government...

Matt Ellis, GM
Marty Wilford, Head coach.

• Haha
Reactions: BuffaloMango

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Beware the disaster scenario like in the USA State of the Union Address where both houses of Congress are assembled, the cabinet, the Judiciary, etc., they keep 1 or 2 members of the cabinet in a locked room in case something tragic happens so there is continuity in the government...

Matt Ellis, GM
Marty Wilford, Head coach.
Continuity, as in keep things nosediving in a rapid descent? Talking about both government and Sabres here :laugh:

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I've liked Adams, but hated Granato and his staff. I'd fire Granato and all of the coaches and restock, hire a coach who can instill a proper winning culture and a functional system that works. Hire Quenneville for all I care. Somebody that can discipline this roster and bring out the best in them. Probably hire more scouts and development and support staff as well. It's what this team needs more and this team has too much individual talent and potential for it to be squandered by the current coaches who do not push them and give them no confidence.

Adams on the other hand is a passive GM but I think he has overall drafted well, and the few trades he has made have been largely positive. I think he is trying to build long-term and has placed misguided faith in Granato to coach the team he is drafting and signing. I'd keep him with a short-leash as long as he can show what his plan actually is for turning this team around. If someone fired him alongside Granato, I wouldn't grumble too loudly, but I'm willing to give him another year to see what he can cook up as pressure mounts, as long as he reinvents this coaching and development staff.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I fire Granato and staff immediately. I immediately hire like 5 more scouts.

I then have an intense, detailed discussion with Adams. I want his vision/plan. If, as I think, he doesn't really have a plan....he's gone.
This is the way.
I'm on the fence and would hear Adams out. But we don't know what we don't know. Does he have full reigns and can wheel n deal? Would the next person if Adams was fired?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Fire Granato, Keep Adams.

Don't go another GM yet. The vision has been volatile enough. 100% a new coach though, not even a question.

Adams has esembled the most talent theyve had since the 05-07 days. He needs a coach to get more out of them.
His plan was flawed from the outset. You cannot draft your way to the playoffs. You need to parlay draft capital to acquire pieces. His inexperience will prevent any coach worth their salt to steer clear. Nobody is going to want to work for him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
NHL coaches have shelf-lives, and Granato has definitely past his in terms of effectiveness with this team.

Adams ain't great, but I am weary to fire yet one more GM and bring in another front office wanting to start another rebuild of this team for the fourth time of this draught.

Fire the coach, give the GM a chance to work with a more proven coach to see if he can communicate and address the roster issues the new coach requests.

I'd definitely have him on a short leash, but I'd keep Adams for now for stability

(This is all on the premise that Adam's replacement will be hand picked by Terry Pegula. If I could hand pick Adam's replacement, I would relieve Adams as well, but that is not realistic, so I am avoiding a potentially worse decision befalling the organization by limiting Terry's ability to f@k thinks up even more.)

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The problem I see here is if you keep Adams, what if he needs to be fired within a year? What GM is going to want to come in and keep the existing HC on? Would Pegula be wiling to pay Granato, next years coach and a coach after that all at once?

I think it would be much cleaner to cut them both loose.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is the way:
20240127_215316.jpg

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The problem I see here is if you keep Adams, what if he needs to be fired within a year? What GM is going to want to come in and keep the existing HC on? Would Pegula be wiling to pay Granato, next years coach and a coach after that all at once?

I think it would be much cleaner to cut them both loose.

I thought about that. If you have a discussion with Adams and keep him......you tell the next HC and the GM is on a short rope, but that you're committed to him as the HC for x years. And then you ensure that you get a new GM that the HC is willing to work with.

Kind of forces the hand on getting an older, more experienced HC.....one that's worked with a lot of older, more experienced GMs.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
His plan was flawed from the outset. You cannot draft your way to the playoffs. You need to parlay draft capital to acquire pieces. His inexperience will prevent any coach worth their salt to steer clear. Nobody is going to want to work for him.
I'm not defending Adam's last 2 summers. Both were failures to me.

If you want a President of Hockey Ops, I'm all for it.

I think firing Adams right now is a mistake. A massive one. Adams built this pipeline. It's still strong. I want him to be accountable for it. Not for another jack-off to come in and tell us he's on a 5-year plan to get the Sabres back to the playoffs.

Adams has this summer and next season for me. After that will depend on 24-25's result. His 5-year plan will be at year 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad