Pre-Game Talk: If Toews can't go?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I know it's early but this it. One game away and we don't want it to go to a seventh game. Obviously, a big concern is Jonny's health and especially if he has another concussion.

If he can't go, how does Q adjust? I don't want to see 16 playing in his spot. Would Pirri be considered? Sharp at center? Shaw in the top 6 at center? Our weakness up the middle is once again magnified.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I know it's early but this it. One game away and we don't want it to go to a seventh game. Obviously, a big concern is Jonny's health and especially if he has another concussion.

If he can't go, how does Q adjust? I don't want to see 16 playing in his spot. Would Pirri be considered? Sharp at center? Shaw in the top 6 at center? Our weakness up the middle is once again magnified.

I'm pretty sure that Toews will be playing. They kept him on the bench, and he skated out after we won and celebrated with the team. Even though we might not agree with it, I think he might have just had some minor concussion symptoms after that big hit he took in front of the Bruins net, and they decided to just try to nurse their 2-goal lead without him. If he was going to be out for sure, they would have left him in the locker room. He'll be in tomorrow more than likely. If he's not, I'd expect to see something like this:

Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Saad-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg
Smith-Kruger-Frolik

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
I agree.

The fact they kept him on the bench shows that if they really needed him he could have played.

I think Q just sat him as a precaution, the Hawks never lost the lead so he was really never needed.

If the Bruins tie that game, Toews is taking the next faceoff with Kane and Bickell.

He's playing Monday.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
Our weakness up the middle is once again magnified.

I'm not arguing that we aren't weak up the middle, but this is way different than losing Shaw or heck even Handzus. You're asking about replacing a top 5 center in the league arguably. About replacing the top forward from the Vancouver Olympics.

I don't think you can blame someone for not having another number one center on the team. We've actually got a lot of third and fourth line centers on the roster right now. The discussion has been had before in this forum this year- there aren't a lot of teams in the NHL that have more than one first line center...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure who I'd like to see called up, but do know that I do NOT want to see Bollig or Mayers called up if Toews can't suit up. I guess I'd probably prefer Smith to be called up, as at least he has some playoff experience and came up big, although that seems like forever ago and meaningless at this point. Not sure I'd want a guy like Morin just because of his lack of experience in general, and zero playoff action.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm not arguing that we aren't weak up the middle, but this is way different than losing Shaw or heck even Handzus. You're asking about replacing a top 5 center in the league arguably. About replacing the top forward from the Vancouver Olympics.

I don't think you can blame someone for not having another number one center on the team. We've actually got a lot of third and fourth line centers on the roster right now. The discussion has been had before in this forum this year- there aren't a lot of teams in the NHL that have more than one first line center...

No, the salary capped NHL makes it next to impossible, but 1 legit 2nd center would be huge.

He took more than one head shot in the game, and "slight" concussion symptoms can get worse after the adrenaline rush is over - but I think Toews will play regardless, a la old school thinking, and will hide it, if he is feeling affects The Hawks org must talk sense into him about long term health vs a SC. There's no contest about which is more important. Fingers are crossed for him.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
No, the salary capped NHL makes it next to impossible, but 1 legit 2nd center would be huge.

He took more than one head shot in the game, and "slight" concussion symptoms can get worse after the adrenaline rush is over - but I think Toews will play regardless, a la old school thinking, and will hide it, if he is feeling affects The Hawks org must talk sense into him about long term health vs a SC. There's no contest about which is more important. Fingers are crossed for him.

Agree. Heck if Bergeron is out then Toews being out isn't as big of an issue...

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA

The 8 teams to win at least 1 play-off series this year #2 C.

BOS- Bergeron
CHI- Handzus
DET- Zetterberg
LAK- Richards
NYR- Brassard
OTT- Turris
PIT- Malkin
SJ- Couture

What one of these is not like the others.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
We absolutely need to keep Bickell and Kane going, and Sharp is overwhelmingly the best option to achieve that. It is obvious from his play that Sharp wants it big time. Put it on his shoulders if we have to.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
If Toews can't go I think there is a distinct possibility you see Sharp at 1C.

Bickell/Sharp/Kane
Saad/Handzus/Hossa
Stalberg/Shaw/Smith??
Frolik/Bolland/Kruger

I think that could work.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
When Toews went out last year Sharp didn't play C. Sharp despite all the clamoring for it hasn't played C since 2010. If you think he'll suddenly play C on Monday if Toews can't go. I just want to know what rock you've been living under.

InTOEWSweTrust

Free Morin
May 7, 2011
No Hearing For Boychuk.... personally think its garbage, especially when lesser hits have been suspended...

They were targeting Toews's head all night...weather your believe it was a dirty hit or not it was Still an intent to hurt him on that play...

Toews probably doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for going in 1v3

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
Easy thing to do is put Sharp at #1C

Bickell Sharp Kane
Saad Handzus Hossa
Stalberg Bolland Shaw
Frolik Kruger Smith

Agree 100%. Sharp is the next hottest skater next to Kane on the team, so he should play with him IMO. Typically Kane is the one carrying the puck anyway so he kind of assumes a pseudo "c" role anyway.....

Could see Shaw getting a look too though. He can skate with those guys and is an underrated playmaker. Him and Bickell together would give Chara fits, and probably open up a lot of space for Kane.
They were targeting Toews's head all night...weather your believe it was a dirty hit or not it was Still an intent to hurt him on that play...
Absolutely. They've been trying to knock him out of the game for a number of games now, and you can easily put a highlight reel together of a ton of borderline hits that hes been on the receiving end of. It's good evidence for all those thinking that the NHL is somehow overprotective of their star players.....

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Bickell-Shaw-Kane didn't look to bad last night

They looked brutal in their own zone, especially when Boston turned up the pressure. Kane and Bickell were just floating around and Shaw had a bad game so that magnified the problem a little bit. Handzus is okay defensively when he doesn't have the burden of covering other people's mistakes, but he's too slow to cover up any Kane or Bickell miscue. I think there was a shift were Bickell - Zus - Kane and Oduya were on the ice at the same time and I thought we were going to give up the equalizer. They were getting utterly abused until someone corralled it and made a clear.

IMO you don't Keep Kane and Bickell together unless Sharp is moved to 1C. Zus and Shaw aren't good enough defensively to stop that line from getting *****, while I doubt Kruger or Bolland would be good enough offensively to waste those kinds of minutes. Toews is the player that makes that line go as he's able to free up Kane, fight for the puck along the boards to prolong possessions, and more importantly is the defensive cog that keeps that line from giving up goals. Without Toews the Bickell Kane combination doesn't work with anyone except maybe Sharp. And that's not even a given.

Hawksforthewin

Jun 23, 2013
Edmonton AB
Shaw or Sharp

If Sharp is comfortable there I could see them trying him, but I think the extra responsibility would hinder him somewhat. I would actually like to see What Shaw could do from the start of them game.

That being said fingers and toes crossed that Toews is well enough to go without putting his future in jeopardy.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sharp wont flip back to C ,, He hasn't with injuries before and so I doubt Q does it now

Need to keep these lines intact as much as possible IMO especially the Sharp/Handzus/Hossa line which IMO has been solid together all playoffs when put together

I think it is either Kruger or Bolland who would slot into Toews role IMO

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
If Toews can't go I think there is a distinct possibility you see Sharp at 1C.

Bickell/Sharp/Kane
Saad/Handzus/Hossa
Stalberg/Shaw/Smith??
Frolik/Bolland/Kruger

I think that could work.

Would love it if that was the case.

eta:

Good news.

James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 3m

Toews likely to play tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events