If there was a 48 Game Season, where do you see us finishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
With this draft, hopefully last. Only have to endure suckiness for 50ish games and get a top prospect.

As long as the Oilers play in the NHL, that will never happen.

It wouldn't feel right if we won the cup with a 48 game season. I would actually hate that.

I would. Its not like we are playing fewer games than any other team. It is a level playing field from a scheduling perspective for all teams, so a championship is a championship. That said, we're not winning the Cup this year. Interesting question though, I was thinking of posting a thread on it. I wonder how everyone else (Sens fans and otherwise) feels about this.

Also, if Cowen doesn't play a game this season, does the 2nd year of his ELC still burn off? (aside from any changes in the new CBA when it is signed, likely around the summer of 4065)

Reactions: sonofadolphin

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I have no idea. But one guy i haven't seen mentioned here yet is coach Maclean.

He will be more comfortable in his 2nd year as a head coach and more comfortable with the team. He'll work on fixing mistakes he made last yr and continue to get better.
That should have a positive effect on the whole team.

Methot replaces Cowen. Latendresse or silfverberg replaces foligno. Regin will be back and hopefully healthy. Kuba's spot can be filled by Lundin or one of the bingo guys (wiercioch or benoit)

I don't see any reason to think the team will not be better than last year. ok, we might have to get another d. have to wait and see how it works out first.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I would. Its not like we are playing fewer games than any other team. It is a level playing field from a scheduling perspective for all teams, so a championship is a championship. That said, we're not winning the Cup this year. Interesting question though, I was thinking of posting a thread on it. I wonder how everyone else (Sens fans and otherwise) feels about this.

To be honest I don't think I would really care. You still have to win 16 games in the post season against four different teams to win the Cup. Every single year there are teams that do better or worse than they should have in the regular season yet still make the playoffs. Not sure that shortening the year really makes a difference in regards to the quality of competition in the playoffs. Really I would think the playoffs would be even harder to win in because everyone is better rested/less injured.

I would just feel that a shortened season with a cup win would not mean as much as a full regular season with a cup win.

The amount of time you and players invest into an NHL season over the course of an 82 game schedule + playoffs would be much more satisfying than that of half the schedule.

I don't know maybe its just me but the value of fighting and clawing your way through a long journey to reach the cup is much more gratifying and rewarding.

The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win for a reason which makes winning it under regular circumstances much more meaningful. Of course this is IMO.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
agree a 48 game cup is not as impressive or legitimate as an 82 game cup, but it is better than nothing AND you can always win the cup in 2013-14. It's not like everyone gives up after a shortened season.

John Holmes*

agree a 48 game cup is not as impressive or legitimate as an 82 game cup, but it is better than nothing AND you can always win the cup in 2013-14. It's not like everyone gives up after a shortened season.

I'm sure the Devils fans in 95 would disagree with you.

They always say that at playoff time everyone starts at 0.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Doesn't matter where one stands in the regular season, as one doesn't get awarded a Stanley Cup in April. Winning 16 games in the playoffs are all that matter and teams should be "fresher" as a result of a shortened season. Of course, injury is a separate issue, as a player on any given team can get hurt without even setting foot on the ice (in Cowen's case, without playing an NHL game this season).

That said, I don't even see how this team will even get a sniff at winning rounds in the playoffs, but making it to the post season in a shortened season is a possibility if the following success factors at least remain status quo.

- Coaching (techniques, tactics, etc.) under Maclean
- Forward depth
- Goaltending depth (knock on wood)

It would be interesting to see how the team adjusts with the new faces on defence (Methot, Lundin, Wiercioch/Boro/Benoit), while missing a significant piece in Cowen.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would just feel that a shortened season with a cup win would not mean as much as a full regular season with a cup win.

The amount of time you and players invest into an NHL season over the course of an 82 game schedule + playoffs would be much more satisfying than that of half the schedule.

I don't know maybe its just me but the value of fighting and clawing your way through a long journey to reach the cup is much more gratifying and rewarding.

The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win for a reason which makes winning it under regular circumstances much more meaningful. Of course this is IMO.

I think the fighting and clawing doesn't start for real until the playoffs. If anything, a shorter season will mean each regular season game will be that much more important, were you can't afford to take games off.

Having said that, I am willing to bet that come June, Ottawa will be tied for first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad