If the Pens get the #1.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
They finished the season on a tear, and if they're still around in a few years, they could be a force. One question though, will they even be able to pay Ovechkin. Are they still in financial trouble after dumping all their big name players? They couldn't even pay Fleury.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
adurn said:
They finished the season on a tear, and if they're still around in a few years, they could be a force. One question though, will they even be able to pay Ovechkin. Are they still in financial trouble after dumping all their big name players? They couldn't even pay Fleury.

Misconception.

They could trade Fleury, they chose not to though. Chances were he wouldn't have gotten his bonuses regardless, at the time that he was sent down he only had one of four needed insentives to trigger the bonuses. He was getting shelled despite playing absolutely amazing.

Financially I won't go as far as to say set, but Patrick himself has said we won't be trading any more players because of finances. Things are looking up for a new arena and the team's payroll is about as low as it can get. We may lose a couple million because of this, but we'll still be able to pay them.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
adurn said:

I think the thing with Fleury was that this team was not going to win this year and he was going to be shelled. While I am sure finances played a part, i think it was beneficial from all sides for him to go down to CB.

Most likely some form of salary cap will be put in place next year and it most likely will be in the $35-45 million range. That puts the pens approx 10-20 million under and that counting the whole contract, unlike in the NFL were bonus are spread out over the contract. There will also be some form of money sharing most likely. Under this conditions, the pens will be able to compete.

However, that is a big if since the NHLPA has said a complete "no" to some sort of cap. Hopefully the owners stay strong, and get through it with some sort of cap.

Im still waiting to see if the NHL will bring in replacement players and actually try to play some sort of season. I think that would put some pressure on the NHLPA.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Good luck to the Penguins....I'm impressed by the way the organization has handled themselves and i'm impressed with the Coaching staff, and players, and all around the organization you have there. Please let the Penguins win the lottery! :handclap: :lol: :jump:

errrr, they finished last didn't they? :p

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
The Ping Pong balls have been mixed and one has been picked. It is currently being verified by Ernst & Young. :speechles

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
rtafts said:
That doesn't automatically guarantee them the 1st pick.

nah, I was making a joke on the glowing comments of the organization. One would think after reading that that they won the presidents trophy. ;-)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Chicago
4. Columbus
5. Phoenix
6. NYRangers
7. Florida
8. Carolina
9. Mighty Ducks