Speculation: IF the flames…

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I know this post is going out on a limb to say the least but I thought it would be a fun topic to discuss, with all the hot coaching canadates out there, if shanahan were to come in and asoom the role of president and gm(say weisbrod stays as Agm and feaster moves to an advisor role) and he decided that he wanted to clean house and fired Hartley, who would be your choice to replace him???

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Shanahan would not be the GM, just Head of Hockey Operations. He will be like John Davidson or Cam Neely.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
A younger, likely first time coach, whether it's Ward or someone else. I just don't see a veteran coach as being the total fit for this team, with all th newer players going to be coming in for the next couple of seasons. Getting a coach who could almost grow with the players would be nice.

Though if we were to hire a more experienced coach, Tippett, no question. Defensivly responsible, in a good way, and he's done wonders with the Coyotes roster the last few seasons, way moe than what they should have accomplished

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know this post is going out on a limb to say the least but I thought it would be a fun topic to discuss, with all the hot coaching canadates out there, if shanahan were to come in and asoom the role of president and gm(say weisbrod stays as Agm and feaster moves to an advisor role) and he decided that he wanted to clean house and fired Hartley, who would be your choice to replace him???

I don't think Hartley goes unless Feaster does. Either way, if Tippet was available we'd be stupid not to hire him in the event Hartley was gone. That said, coaching hasn't been our issue with the exception of Keenan. Everyone else was at least adequate.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think Feaster just needs to go its going to happen next year why wait? Get it over with please.

Debatable. He's made some stupid moves, but I actually like some of his philosophies. I just want him to do what he says, not what he does if that makes sense. The intellectual honesty thing he talked about last year didn't jive with the Wideman, Tanguay and Hudler signings. He finally got it right this TDL, other than not forcing Iginla to go to Boston.

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta

Wasnt it if Flames don't make Playoffs in 13-14 season then Feaster will be fired? But lets be realistic are we really going to be a playoff team next year? It's possible if we make good moves in the off season but its also Very Unlikley. There obviously not going to fire Feaster now that we are so close to the draft.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wasnt it if Flames don't make Playoffs in 13-14 season then Feaster will be fired? But lets be realistic are we really going to be a playoff team next year? It's possible if we make good moves in the off season but its also Very Unlikley. There obviously not going to fire Feaster now that we are so close to the draft.

I don't think that it's really a hard ultimatum at this point. Feaster (and thus I presume all of management) has accepted that we're in a retool, and despite Murray Edwards' will to win, I don't think that anyone is relying on a playoff spot next season.

I've been a fan of Feaster since his first season in charge. I loved the direction he moved in, and I've always sympathized with the position he was in at the beginning (which many posters seem to have forgotten), and the position he's probably been put in by ownership since he took the job.

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
I don't think that it's really a hard ultimatum at this point. Feaster (and thus I presume all of management) has accepted that we're in a retool, and despite Murray Edwards' will to win, I don't think that anyone is relying on a playoff spot next season.

I've been a fan of Feaster since his first season in charge. I loved the direction he moved in, and I've always sympathized with the position he was in at the beginning (which many posters seem to have forgotten), and the position he's probably been put in by ownership since he took the job.

Feasters future with the Flames will be determined by the draft if he plays it smart and makes the right moves then I think he can lead the Flames through the rebuild but if he Screws this up than he's done. Though the Flames should have started this 2 years ago we may have actually been a contender by now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Feasters future with the Flames will be determined by the draft if he plays it smart and makes the right moves then I think he can lead the Flames through the rebuild but if he Screws this up than he's done. Though the Flames should have started this 2 years ago we may have actually been a contender by now.

Sure, but that's not necessarily on him. If he'd tried two years ago, who knows if he would have been allowed to remain GM? Besides, given the number of NTCs he inherited, he would essentially have needed to convince the Flames that they weren't capable of winning and that they should all waive their NTCs and be dealt. For the last few seasons, we always had a roster capable of making the playoffs, and the guys seemed legitimately interested in achieving that goal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would agree he's on a short leash. I thought so given that he sat as an interm GM for so long
He sat as interim GM until the season was finished. That's pretty standard practice for a mid season replacement.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That was never once said.

Feaster said the mandate was to make the playoffs and then when fans (like yourself) took it wrong he reiterated that what they meant is that they will not be a franchise that just rolls over and accepts losing. The will always be to win.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Feaster has two years left on his five year contract. Next summer, if he's still here, he'll either be fired, or given an extension because keeping a lame duck GM is never a good idea.

Gary83*

Chances are Shanahan will want his on "guys" if he's taking King's current position.

That probably means Weisbrod will be gone too, along with Feaster and Hartley, that's not a slight against any of them, just generally the norm when someone new takes over.

Just don't want Ward or Tortorella to be the coach.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Even if they put in their own guys, they might keep Weisbrod around, just because of his knowledge scouting the college ranks, not s easy to replace.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He sat as interim GM until the season was finished. That's pretty standard practice for a mid season replacement.

I don't recall a lot of candidates with commendable credentials available at the time. I bet if King was interviewing Burke or Nieuwendyk at the time, Feaster wouldn't be here

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't recall a lot of candidates with commendable credentials available at the time. I bet if King was interviewing Burke or Nieuwendyk at the time, Feaster wouldn't be here

You don't know that and neither do I.

You seriously want Nieuwendyk and complain about Feasters trades?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think he was solid in Dallas. Its not his fault the owners were cheap and the players under performed.

He got a solid deal for Roberio, Ott, Grossman, Fistric, Morrow, Roy, Jagr, and Goligoski

He won the Lehtonen, and Nystrom trades

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

If/when Feaster is gone you also fire everyone else right down to the beer vendors and who ever wants too stay with the Flames can interview to get their job back.

I'm tired of the Flames always adding incompetent people to the group of clowns they have already. It's time to clean house.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I think he was solid in Dallas. Its not his fault the owners were cheap and the players under performed.

He got a solid deal for Roberio, Ott, Grossman, Fistric, Morrow, Roy, Jagr, and Goligoski

He won the Lehtonen, and Nystrom trades

Only thing there I disagree with is goligoski, no way he even came close to winning that trade. Niskanen has been solid for pitsburgh and Neal has been amazing, goligoski has played just above average at best in Dallas, he is solid but he's nothing special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad