Speculation: If the cap drops...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Sorry if this shouldn't be its own thread. Didn't know where else to put it. As a fan of another team, the Hawks situation intrigues me. If the cap does drop, I'm assuming you guys would have to move a big contract. If that is the case who would be the most realistic option? I don't think Hossa or Keith's contracts could be moved, at least not for the return you guys would want. I don't see either of Toews, Kane or Seabrook being moved since I see those guys as the core of your team.

IMO that leaves a guy like Sharp. Who is primarily a winger, on a team that has 2 other elite wingers and a couple of top-notch prospect wingers. Would it be accurate to assume he'd be the guy to go? Or would the Hawks attempt to move a few other lower level pieces so they can keep the top guys together?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sorry if this shouldn't be its own thread. Didn't know where else to put it. As a fan of another team, the Hawks situation intrigues me. If the cap does drop, I'm assuming you guys would have to move a big contract. If that is the case who would be the most realistic option? I don't think Hossa or Keith's contracts could be moved, at least not for the return you guys would want. I don't see either of Toews, Kane or Seabrook being moved since I see those guys as the core of your team.

IMO that leaves a guy like Sharp. Who is primarily a winger, on a team that has 2 other elite wingers and a couple of top-notch prospect wingers. Would it be accurate to assume he'd be the guy to go? Or would the Hawks attempt to move a few other lower level pieces so they can keep the top guys together?

I sure as hell hope moving a top guy is not even a consideration. If we need to cut cap, it starts with Montador and Frolik, that's over 5M right there. Also consider that we have rookies coming up at all positions. Crawford could be moved too. There are plenty of options.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

If the cap drops they won't have to move any contracts. They'll be at $57 mil (assuming a $60.5 mil cap) with 17 players signed. They'll probably move Hjalmersson or Montador.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We need to move Montador and Frolik to free cap for an ACQUISTION, no more subtracting good players needed.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Montador would be tough to move because of his injury history. If we could get him for anything more than some breadcrumbs in a burlap sack I'd be ecstatic. Hjalmarsson has that contract and a history of underachieving. Frolik needs to go, shows great effort but just isn't talented enough to warrant a return more than a mere bag of shells. Who moves? I think Frolik is the only one they move right away in this situation, not saying they're gonna get a huge return, but I'd be happy with a late pick.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Doesn't the cap going down result in players salaries/cap hits going down too?

Ex: cap goes down 17% then salaries/cap hits go down 17% too

???

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Montador and Frolik will be gone. They will have to do something with Olesz too.

Hammer and Bolland will only be dealt to improve the team.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The thing that gets me is that if the cap drops, nobody is going to help the Hawks, Flyers, Canucks, etc. out. No one is going to help a team out by taking their cap dumps so they can keep their guys signed to 13-year deals and all that jazz. The only way these teams with the space to accept a cap dump would be to kick in a nice pick or prospect for doing a favor.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
other teams would gladly take Frolik, Oduya or Montador for free... those guys aren't that bad and better than what those bottom feeders ice - especially Hjammer would garner some interest

and OP, no chance that your team will get Sharp

SugarKane88

Non-Registered User
Jun 23, 2010
Montador's cap hit is more than his salary so he could be moved to a cap floor team.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Right, but there's no guarantee that the cap hit and actual salary for a given year will still differ as they did in the old CBA.

They can't change that rule. Teams would be $20, $30 mil over the cap. Heatly and Parise wouldn't account for over 33% of the Wild's cap. They may change the rule going forward but they aren't going to do it retroactively.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I doubt we see a 60mil cap for 2013-14 anyway. I imagine it will be closer to 62 than 60, which could make a big difference.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Any way to get Frolik out of Chicago is fine with me :)

Frolik might not be worth his contract, but I like having him in Chicago.

Even though he's snakebitten like he sleeps with Medusa, I can't hate a guy that gives his 100% all over the ice.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Why is the cap lowering again?

It's what the lockout is all about. The owners want the players to have a lesser share than the last contract and should that happen (and it will), that invariably leads to a lower cap.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Frolik might not be worth his contract, but I like having him in Chicago.

Even though he's snakebitten like he sleeps with Medusa, I can't hate a guy that gives his 100% all over the ice.

If the cap wasn't a concern, he'd be great to have as a 13th forward who is in and out of the lineup as an injury fill in (unless he improves his offense). However, in a numbers game, Frolik and Stalberg should have similar contracts and the choice between the two is an easy one IMO, Stalberg stays, Frolik goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad