If TBL loses in playoffs, after 60 win season, is it equivalent to the warriors losing in 2016?

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
The Warriors had a 39-2 record at home during the regular season and when they were up 3-1, they lost games 5 and 7 at home which made it even more shocking. They also dominated the Cavs in the first 4 games and had already won a championship after being incredibly dominant the year before, unlike Tampa who hasn’t won yet.

Not a good comparison at all. Golden State won 67 games, won a championship, won 73 games, was up 3-1 and dominating the finals.

If Tampa wins it all and dominates next season and is up 3-1 in the 2020 finals, it’s a much better comparison, but still not quite the same because top teams in the NBA win more often.

Last edited:

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Why people on this boards are so obsessed with NBA??? I swear, like every weak there is a thread about "Is XXX equivalent of (something from NBA)"??? Do you hate this league so bad that you want to turn it into NBA??? Do you enjoy NBA bandwagon culture and its "stars" who thinks they are bigger than teams they play for??? Is this the reason why people complain about NHL players "lack of personality"- they want them to act like NBA stars, right???

Now, I don't know much about "16 Warriors", last time I watched NBA was in 90s... As I know it was some historicaly great team that failed to win it all... If that so, the answer for OP question is NO... Because hockey doesn't work that way... Because, while Tampa might be main favourite to win the title, its still more likely that they won't win... And it doesn't mean they're "chokers" or sth... Simply there are too many factors beyond your control, luck being one of them. If they won't win next five years, that's the other story...

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
No. Maybe if they lose in the first round.

Anything after that and the parity of the NHL prevents most series from being a catastrophic upset.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
on a side note, what is the obsession with comparing hockey with basketball on this site?

Because it's the most comparable sport of the big 4? Football doesn't do playoff series, baseball plays like a million games in a season and is not continuous play.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Why people on this boards are so obsessed with NBA??? I swear, like every weak there is a thread about "Is XXX equivalent of (something from NBA)"??? Do you hate this league so bad that you want to turn it into NBA??? Do you enjoy NBA bandwagon culture and its "stars" who thinks they are bigger than teams they play for??? Is this the reason why people complain about NHL players "lack of personality"- they want them to act like NBA stars, right???

Now, I don't know much about "16 Warriors", last time I watched NBA was in 90s... As I know it was some historicaly great team that failed to win it all... If that so, the answer for OP question is NO... Because hockey doesn't work that way... Because, while Tampa might be main favourite to win the title, its still more likely that they won't win... And it doesn't mean they're "chokers" or sth... Simply there are too many factors beyond your control, luck being one of them. If they won't win next five years, that's the other story...

NBA is the most influential game in the world right now, stop crying

Reactions: cheechoo

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
As for the original question. The answer is no. Not unless they lose in the first round. Or choke a 3-1 lead like they did last year again. They've proven nothing in the playoffs, therefore it can't be a choke.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Would it be considered the same kind of astronomical failure? The golden state warriors went 73-9 in 82 games, and had the unanimous MVP. There’s a good chance Kucherov will win the nhl equivalent, the hart. Would Tampa losing in the playoffs be as disappointing?
Only if the officals/league gift it like the NBA did with the Cavs

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not even close. No hockey team could replicate that choke, ever. Hockey is too random for the comparison to be even close to plausible.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Anything less than a finals appearance is a post season fail. They spent the money, traded the picks and players. They need to win.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It'd be considered a disappointment for sure. It'd be similar to Detroit's 62 win season in 1995-1996 if the Lightning don't win the Cup.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Because it's the most comparable sport of the big 4? Football doesn't do playoff series, baseball plays like a million games in a season and is not continuous play.

Baseball might actually be a better sport to compare it to. The best regular season teams often don’t win (just ask the Atlanta Braves teams that won 14 division titles in a row), star players have less of an impact than they do in basketball, and postseason results are more random.

Baseball is still very different, but basketball is nothing like hockey and comparing it to hockey makes even less sense IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad