If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
No, it's nearly three decades of no one in the Valley giving a rat's tail if they were here or not.
I mean, yeah. I wish that weren’t right, but yeah. This is as fair weather a sports town as it gets, so put a team that’s had 1 playoff run in 27 years and 70%+ of people just aren’t gonna give a f***, especially when the suns are getting ready to start the playoffs.

Speaking of the suns, couldn’t even bother to put out a statement about the coyotes like the dbacks and cardinals did. I will NEVER be a suns fan for as long as I live.

Last edited:

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I mean, yeah. I wish that weren’t right, but yeah. This is as fair weather a sports town as it gets, so put a team that’s had 1 playoff run in 27 years and 70%+ of people just aren’t gonna give a f***, especially when the suns are getting ready to start the playoffs.

Speaking of the suns, couldn’t even bother to put out a statement about the coyotes like the dbacks did. I will NEVER be a suns fan for as long as I live.
Not to mention 15+ years straight of ownership and arena drama. Hard to convince people to make emotional and financial investments in a team that has no certain future.

Hell, I became a fan of this team because I hate myself and following this team has been a great source of self-abuse. 🤣

Reactions: Summer Rose

KibbleandBlitz

Apr 5, 2024
We do not know if there were other options because the NHL did not explore any of them. Houston, QBC, moving Phoneix back to Glendale, who knows? It honestly does not matter whether or not SLC is a good or the best option, the fact they did not explore any other buyers after forcing AM to sell is the issue.

This whole situation is bizarre and highly atypical. As someone that worked in mergers and acquisitions for 12 years, including forced sale processes as a part of bankruptcy, I have never seen deals conducted like this where a seller is forced to sell to one party without exploring other potential options - it is always a broad sales process run by a reputable investment bank to prove objectively it was the best outcome for the seller. Its possible the NHL has great lawyers and they have iron clad legal agreements giving them the power to do whatever they want, but given the ineptitude I have seen I highly doubt it. I do think the option could be a key to getting it done legally, but if the NHL does sabotage that, then the legal situation gets very hairy.

Additionally, it is also not a good look for the NHL how it was done secretly with a friend of the chairman. If this went to a jury trial, a good attorney for AM could have a field day on this one depending on what comes up in discovery.
what friend of chairman?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Doesn't Meruelo need to own sports to be allowed to do sports-gambling or something? So I have a tiny feeling the things he got with a five-years right to bring the team (or a team) back, is something he asked for to get it to show to Arizona, as in "look, I do still own a sports-team. Kind of".

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
No, it's nearly three decades of no one in the Valley giving a rat's tail if they were here or not.
No, Coyotes have had zero success save for 2012 season...look at Chicago an original 6 franchise and they didn't draw dick for number of years because the team was awful. Was Chicago then a 'bad market'? Nope, just a market w/a bad team and the fans didn't show up.

Same goes for the Coyotes...put a successful team on the ice and people will come out in droves to watch them play. Everyone likes to be a part of a winner

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Doesn't Meruelo need to own sports to be allowed to do sports-gambling or something? So I have a tiny feeling the things he got with a five-years right to bring the team (or a team) back, is something he asked for to get it to show to Arizona, as in "look, I do still own a sports-team. Kind of".
He’s allowed to keep his gaming license by keeping the Roadrunners.

No, Coyotes have had zero success save for 2012 season...look at Chicago an original 6 franchise and they didn't draw dick for number of years because the team was awful. Was Chicago then a 'bad market'? Nope, just a market w/a bad team and the fans didn't show up.

Same goes for the Coyotes...put a successful team on the ice and people will come out in droves to watch them play. Everyone likes to be a part of a winner

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong
Pittsburgh is a better example. Every time that team doesn’t have generational talent on it, the fans disappear and the team goes to the brink of relocation.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do you think she just wandered on stage? She was up there to speak. That’s the point of the press conference. The owners of the team were addressing the media. What did you think was happening?
I know
All the pieces I love about this team just moved to Utah. If the NHL comes back to Arizona they're going to have to do something to steal me back. It's not a given that they just show up and I'm on board again. No faith in Meruelo or the NHL being back any time soon anyways.
It's probably how most of us feel, but step back and take a deep breath. Meruelo was losing a ton of money every year, the NHL came to him, and he still didn't want to sell even then. We are just being greedy from our end. Look at the players and their families. When Bettman spelled it out, and whether you like it or not he was correct. It hurts, it really hurts, but that is life.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m not associated with the pod in any way and I’m not a fanboy of The show, but PHNX podcast breaking down the presser is a great listen. I encourage you to give it a go.

It’s scathing but a very good listen. The analogy that Gary and Alex at the presser was like a father and his 12 year old son who got hold of the microphone at the event, made me absolutely howl.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’m not associated with the pod in any way and I’m not a fanboy of The show, but PHNX podcast breaking down the presser is a great listen. I encourage you to give it a go.

It’s scathing but a very good listen. The analogy that Gary and Alex at the presser was like a father and his 12 year old son who got hold of the microphone at the event, made me absolutely howl.

I’m not on team Meruelo by any means. But PHNX comes off as pretty unprofessional in this video. Petey especially. Leah as well. Alex is clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera, and they just make fun of him the entire time for it. This comes after countless times where they blast him for NOT hearing from him. I guess for some people it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m not on team Meruelo by any means. But PHNX comes off as pretty unprofessional in this video. Petey especially. Leah as well. Alex is clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera, and they just make fun of him the entire time for it. This comes after countless times where they blast him for NOT hearing from him. I guess for some people it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Being uncomfortable in front of the camera and shoving your foot in your mouth multiple times in the same presser because you aren’t thinking that words matter are very different things. AM showed that he acts before he thinks which is probably the cause of a lot of the issues that have occurred and subsequent failures, during his tenure as AZ owner.

PHNX personalities simply stated what many people are thinking based on the evidence provided.

AM just didn’t avoid talking to PHNX during his ownership tenure, he did the same to the voting public during the Tempe referendum, he did the same to his team staff in the dwindling days of the franchise over the past two weeks when careers, livelihoods and residency were in question.

He has a significant lack of awareness that is startling for a guy that appears to have had previous business success.

I doubt he gets this to the next finish line. That’s a good/bad thing.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I have loved following the PHNX group up until the last few podcasts because of the exact reasons you mentioned..

However I need to cut them some slack as well as they may be unemployed soon . So this could be a part of the stress and uncertain future for them

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Not to mention 15+ years straight of ownership and arena drama. Hard to convince people to make emotional and financial investments in a team that has no certain future.

Hell, I became a fan of this team because I hate myself and following this team has been a great source of self-abuse. 🤣
I blame Tkachuck and Roenick.

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Meruelo using a canned line a couple times now about it being impossible to remain in business for 40 years while not paying bills.

1) You can stiff vendors, contractors, etc. for a bit and still remain in business, although it makes things harder down the line,

2) The rumor seems persistent. If it's true I'd really be suspicious of this guy, and it adds to his previous failure.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Being uncomfortable in front of the camera and shoving your foot in your mouth multiple times in the same presser because you aren’t thinking that words matter are very different things. AM showed that he acts before he thinks which is probably the cause of a lot of the issues that have occurred and subsequent failures, during his tenure as AZ owner.

PHNX personalities simply stated what many people are thinking based on the evidence provided.

AM just didn’t avoid talking to PHNX during his ownership tenure, he did the same to the voting public during the Tempe referendum, he did the same to his team staff in the dwindling days of the franchise over the past two weeks when careers, livelihoods and residency were in question.

He has a significant lack of awareness that is startling for a guy that appears to have had previous business success.

I doubt he gets this to the next finish line. That’s a good/bad thing.
And none of this means a god damn thing to me when it comes to PHNX’s lack of professionalism. I’m fully aware of all of Meruelo’s missteps.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
And none of this means a god damn thing to me when it comes to PHNX’s lack of professionalism. I’m fully aware of all of Meruelo’s missteps.

Respectfully disagree here -- but it depends on what you think PHNX is supposed to be.

To me, the PHNX pod is closer to an opinion podcast than an actual news show. And if that's the case then who cares if they're not professional (esp Petey, he hasn't been professional this entire time). And this Meruelo guy is arguably the primary reason they'll be losing their jobs, if they want to unload on him so be it.

Craig's in a weird spot because he's the closest thing we have (had?) to an actual journalist. But I don't consider the PHNX pod an actual journalism show. If you consider them to be actual journalists, then sure I see what you're saying and mostly agree, journalists should be more professional about the news they cover. But to me, they're somewhere between journalists and opinion, closer to opinion. Put a different way no one cares about Dangle pretending to get mad about everything and he's an actual journalist now I guess? Different standards but it really depends on what you think the specific pod is or what it should be.

Anyway imo if they want to vent about a story / saga they've followed for multiple years and has ended like this, then I feel like why not. What they're going through is much harder / more traumatic than what any of us are going through, this guy completely derailed their career and it's only a matter of months before they're unable to pay their rent / mortgage. If they feel the need to use their platform to cuss him out then so be it

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Yeah, what a great pod.... if you enjoy 2/3's of the members acting childish and pandering to the lynch mob mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00