If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This will be a conversation worth having if Meruelo does all of the things he told Gambo he was going to do.
Fair enough. Not really all that optimistic considering we've heard from the guy exactly twice in the whole time he's been the owner and his track record sucks a giant bag of armadillo phalluses, but maybe he'll surprise us.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Only an idiot would give Alex Meruelo the benefit of the doubt at this point.

But I still have some hope that he’ll deliver on some of those promises. At least bringing the roadrunners to Tempe and continuing to finance youth programs.

I am not sanguine about the youth programs. Lyndsey Fry is helping spearhead that Coyotes Alumni foundation idea to try to make things self sustaining, and that's probably the best case scenario.

Meruelo has absolutely no direct relationships with local businesses, governments, charities, grassroots hockey entities, etc. He would have to basically have a total Saul-in-the-desert conversion moment and change his entire personality and approach 180 degrees.

It's not impossible. But it's so close to it that the margin is practically invisible.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Only an idiot would give Alex Meruelo the benefit of the doubt at this point.

But I still have some hope that he’ll deliver on some of those promises. At least bringing the roadrunners to Tempe and continuing to finance youth programs.
Do we have an alternative for local NHL hockey?

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Meruelo has absolutely no direct relationships with local businesses, governments, charities, grassroots hockey entities, etc. He would have to basically have a total Saul-in-the-desert conversion moment and change his entire personality and approach 180 degrees.

It's not impossible. But it's so close to it that the margin is practically invisible.

:laugh: I sure as shit can't argue with that!

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Am I the only one who thinks this is all quite plausible? What evidence does everyone have that AM is some sort of degenerate other than late hotel payments (agree that’s a bad look but not the worst thing).

Dude is trying to make most of a terrible situation. What were his other options along the way?

Maybe I’m disillusioned completely but I’m buying in.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks this is all quite plausible? What evidence does everyone have that AM is some sort of degenerate other than late hotel payments (agree that’s a bad look but not the worst thing).

Dude is trying to make most of a terrible situation. What were his other options along the way?

I think those of us who have been collecting evidence about how Meruelo ran the team are the ones who are disillusioned. The ones who aren't are the folks who believe him when he says things like he and Alex Jr. crafted the Coyotes roster at Bill Armstrong's house.

You, therefore, will have to see where on the spectrum you fall... 😂

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Still curious what he has to say tomorrow.
Looking forward to that presser as well and seeing the report between the two.

When Arizona gets a new NHL team, it needs to be with an owner that respects the fans, the community, employees, players and commercial partners and who can build goodwill that lead to a team with a strong long-term fan base. Having a grifter who is only concerned with real estate deals and the prestige of being a sports team owner, and who is willing to destroy goodwill and relationships to pinch pennies, will cripple the next NHL team before opening night.

I hope he loses the auction in June. Don't need this ghoul hovering over the hockey community in Arizona for the next 5 years, pouring acid in an open wound.
I believe he still has five years, auction won, or lost.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

I'm with you in it's plausibility. I don't like the way he goes about many things and have been quite vocal against him and his group of "asshats." I do believe he can learn from mistakes (aka, not an idiot), but he's not overly personable and has little time to be hands on and that seems to bother many.

Most importantly folks are pissed right now, even though they should have seen the writing on the wall some time ago and the lynch mob mentality is prevalent..... folks love a scapegoat, when they're frustrated.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm with you in it's plausibility. I don't like the way he goes about many things and have been quite vocal against him and his group of "asshats." I do believe he can learn from mistakes (aka, not an idiot), but he's not overly personable and has little time to be hands on and that seems to bother many.

Most importantly folks are pissed right now, even though they should have seen the writing on the wall some time ago and the lynch mob mentality is prevalent..... folks love a scapegoat, when they're frustrated.
Folks also don't like a liar, especially when he does it to your face.

And the way this all shook out did not help his credibility one iota in that department.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I hope you’re right!!!

Suns Basketball
Basketball sucks! Hockey only!!

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I wouldn't trust Meruelo to pick out a fart machine, let alone draft NHL players. And I wouldn't trust his kid to be smart enough to put the right batteries in that fart machine.

Guaranteed, Junior put a fork in a light socket at least once by age 5 and probably twice after that.

Unless you count the (current)Roadrunners, Meruelo will never own a hockey team in the Valley again. He doesn't even want to. All this bullshit he's spewing today is exactly that. Bullshit. If you really believe anything he said today, I've got some prime swampland to sell you. I'll even throw in a bridge.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not a political statement in any way, but I couldn’t help think I was watching a combination of Donald Trump and Vince McMahon speaking to Burns & Gambo.

It's not political at all. Meruelo is closer to CLASSIC Trump, the one from the 90s who was grifting on the strength of a coke habit that convinced him that people wanted branded steaks and fraudulent educational opportunities, back when he was still voting for the Clintons... :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just read the transcript of Meruelo's interview with Arizona Sports and I can't believe what this guy is expecting us to swallow. It's like listening to a guy who heard about what happened to the team on a podcast somewhere and is trying to recreate it from his memory of the show.

Shame on Arizona Sports for consenting to be a spin factory instead of a journalistic outlet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad