If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
He said:
"BA, me and my son picked the personell for this team".
And something about putting the right guys on the ice.

He definitely said this, in the context of declaring "I've done what I've said I'd do, we picked a team that could win on the ice" therefore implying / trying to demonstrate he was a successful owner and also trustworthy. But like... what about the more important things (arena in Tempe??) that obviously didn't come through.

To me he seems as delusional as a Steve Jobs / Elizabeth Holmes type but without the ability to back it up. We're inarguably better off without him, hopefully at some point we'll get a team again (but without a legitimate arena my guess is this may take quite a while)

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I'm a total Arizona homer when it comes to sports.

But if Meruelo owns Coyotes 2.0, I think that will change. I can't cheer for a younger, Hispanic Donald Trump piece of shit gaslighting narcissistic fail bitch serial exploiter like this asswipe.
I did not want to say it. But yes he reminds me of DT.
Not paying his bills and all that.

But i did not want to say it .....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

If you take him at his word, it all makes sense. Of course, it’s impossible to take him at his word.

If he buys this land on June 27th, it will be interesting to re-watch this video and see if any of the current skepticism turns into hope.

If he buys the land, and construction begins and if the Runners move to Mullett and if he continues to invest in youth hockey, and he makes good on all the promises he made in that video, that goes a long way to hope and then to possible forgiveness.

That’s a lot of ifs.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Morgan said (from what he knows) the Coyotes had over $60M in operating losses just this season. All that "we're doing better than ever at Mullett" talk was smoke and mirrors.
How is operating loss calculated in the NHL? Is that before revenue sharing (I would expect so)?

A sizable number regardless how the beans are counted.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Meruelo is currently on Burns and Gambo -- haven't heard him talk for a very long time.

He starts with "I didn't sell out the team" ok then.

He should have said "franchise." The franchise is basically "the team."

What is this supposed to mean?
AM isn't as well spoken as some. The ball is in his court, and like he said, action not words is all that matters, or something like that.

RedBeard

Aug 16, 2005
Phoenix
I was looking for him to just say we failed the fans. We didn't accomplish what we all planned and hoped to do. As a result, we paid a handsome price losing the guts of our team.

If a franchise in AZ is dependent on Meruelo and we don't have an alternative, my only solace may be that he did hire a damn good GM and coach after Chayka and let them do their job. If he can build the new arena, convince Doan to be involved and get out of the way...that may be our best hope.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He definitely said this, in the context of declaring "I've done what I've said I'd do, we picked a team that could win on the ice" therefore implying / trying to demonstrate he was a successful owner and also trustworthy. But like... what about the more important things (arena in Tempe??) that obviously didn't come through.

To me he seems as delusional as a Steve Jobs / Elizabeth Holmes type but without the ability to back it up. We're inarguably better off without him, hopefully at some point we'll get a team again (but without a legitimate arena my guess is this may take quite a while)
Whether you like him or not, and the way it sounds most don't, AM is our best bet to get a NHL team back within five years. If AM backs away, we won't get a team for the next decade.

Reactions: Prarievarg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Whether you like him or not, and the way it sounds most don't, AM is our best bet to get a NHL team back within five years. If AM backs away, we won't get a team for the next decade.
Fine by me.

If it's not going to be done right, it's not worth doing. We already know how it goes when we inherit a team with bad ownership and franchise turmoil. Only the unwise are okay with repeating bad decisions.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was looking for him to just say we failed the fans. We didn't accomplish what we all planned and hoped to do. As a result, we paid a handsome price losing the guts of our team.

If a franchise in AZ is dependent on Meruelo and we don't have an alternative, my only solace may be that he did hire a damn good GM and coach after Chayka and let them do their job. If he can build the new arena, convince Doan to be involved and get out of the way...that may be our best hope.
I bet the NHL would suggest Doan as President. He will have four more years to learn that position.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fine by me.

If it's not going to be done right, it's not worth doing. We already know how it goes when we inherit a team with bad ownership and franchise turmoil. Only the unwise are okay with repeating bad decisions.
You have been bitching and complaining since this all went down. It's done, get over it, look ahead. Sure it sucks, and it hurts, we all feel it, but I want a team back as soon as possible. I also want to hear what Bettman says as well.

I'm a total Arizona homer when it comes to sports.

But if Meruelo owns Coyotes 2.0, I think that will change. I can't cheer for a younger, Hispanic Donald Trump piece of shit gaslighting narcissistic fail bitch serial exploiter like this asswipe.
What a childish post.

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
When Arizona gets a new NHL team, it needs to be with an owner that respects the fans, the community, employees, players and commercial partners and who can build goodwill that lead to a team with a strong long-term fan base. Having a grifter who is only concerned with real estate deals and the prestige of being a sports team owner, and who is willing to destroy goodwill and relationships to pinch pennies, will cripple the next NHL team before opening night.

I hope he loses the auction in June. Don't need this ghoul hovering over the hockey community in Arizona for the next 5 years, pouring acid in an open wound.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You have been bitching and complaining since this all went down. It's done, get over it, look ahead. Sure it sucks, and it hurts, we all feel it, but I want a team back as soon as possible. I also want to hear what Bettman says as well.

And you don't care about the quality of ownership? You've learned absolutely nothing from the past 25 years? Bill Wirtz would have loved you.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Be thankful we’re getting this chance. If AM fails. I still think we are 5-10 years out. I want to know if the dormant franchise is portable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Be thankful we’re getting this chance. If AM fails. I still think we are 5-10 years out. I want to know if the dormant franchise is portable.
It’s not. Bettman’s final answer in the above tweet.

And you don't care about the quality of ownership? You've learned absolutely nothing from the past 25 years? Bill Wirtz would have loved you.
This will be a conversation worth having if Meruelo does all of the things he told Gambo he was going to do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If AM fails we are looking at 5yrs. after AM's 5 yrs. run out, minimum.

It’s not. Bettman’s final answer in the above tweet.

This will be a conversation worth having if Meruelo does all of the things he told Gambo he was going to do.
AM stuck his neck out. It's all him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad