If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
If Meruelo builds an arena and buys back into the NHL, then I think he'll be deserving of forgiveness. There aren't many (any?) sports owners building arenas without help from taxpayers.

I don't think he'll do it. Even if he does it, I'll be an Utah fan, not a Coyotes fan. But if he does it, I can't imagine there being any legitimate complaints about what he did for hockey in the desert.
It’s absolutely insane that you’d be an Utah fan if the coyotes relaunch in AZ. I don’t get that at all

Reactions: Nowotny

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s absolutely insane that you’d be an Utah fan if the coyotes relaunch in AZ. I don’t get that at all

Moved from MI to AZ in '94. Dropped the Red Wings to support the Coyotes from the beginning in '96. I was a lot younger then.

Probably going to follow the team I've invested 28 years in and will probably stay even if an expansion team is brought to AZ. Arizona is losing my favorite hockey team, but I don't have to. I've invested too much into THIS team to just let it go. It's about more than just the state attached to them. It's more about the players, the memories, etc. for me this time.

And although I love the Coyotes brand, one of the best in sports, I also think it's irreparably damaged. Why resurrect it and bring back all the negativity associated with it rather than just start over fresh without it? I'd rather they let it die and rest in peace.

Last edited:

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Moved from MI to AZ in '94. Dropped the Red Wings to support the Coyotes from the beginning in '96. I was a lot younger then.

Probably going to follow the team I've invested 28 years in and will probably stay even if an expansion team is brought to AZ. Arizona is losing my favorite hockey team, but I don't have to. I've invested too much into THIS team to just let it go. It's about more than just the state attached to them. It's more about the players, the memories, etc. for me this time.

And although I love the Coyotes brand, one of the best in sports, I also think it's irreparably damaged. Why resurrect it and bring back all the negativity associated with it rather than just start over fresh without it? I'd rather they let it die and rest in peace.
I’d probably prefer a rebrand myself too. A true expansion and fresh start

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The coyotes are gone. I’m thrilled at the idea of at least having the roadrunners back. I was a roadrunners fan first.

I’m not going to turn down a severance package after a layoff out of spite.
Bring The Roadrunners to the NHL. Buy that name and use it for an NHL expansion team.

Forget the "Arizona" crap as well. It's the Phoenix Roadrunners, just like it's the Phoenix Suns.

phoenix-roadrunners-salt-lake-golden-eagles-april-6-1974.jpg
phoenix-roadrunners-t-shirt-framed-prints.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I am sticking with Phoenix Firebirds, both because of the phoenix imagery and myth and also because I know Meruelo is nowhere near smart or tuned in enough to even consider it.

Like, if he expended even five brain cells on the hockey team, he'd see how tone deaf he's being and been. But he doesn't. He sees an asset and a toy for his kids, and that's it.

Prick.

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I am sticking with Phoenix Firebirds, both because of the phoenix imagery and myth and also because I know Meruelo is nowhere near smart or tuned in enough to even consider it.

Like, if he expended even five brain cells on the hockey team, he'd see how tone deaf he's being and been. But he doesn't. He sees an asset and a toy for his kids, and that's it.

Prick.
As said before. There is already the Coachella Valley Firebirds

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’ll never understand people’s strong need to always “bring it back”. No Coyotes, no f***ing Roadrunners again. It’s insane that everyone always wants to keep doing the same thing over and over again. Count me in for the Arizona Phoenix. The Phoenix hockey market rises from the ashes and is reborn as the Phoenix. It’s too perfect. Plus, ownership gets to keep the “Arizona” prefix to include the entire state like they always want.

Reactions: Summer Rose

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I’ll never understand people’s strong need to always “bring it back”. No Coyotes, no f***ing Roadrunners again. It’s insane that everyone always wants to keep doing the same thing over and over again. Count me in for the Arizona Phoenix. The Phoenix hockey market rises from the ashes and is reborn as the Phoenix. It’s too perfect. Plus, ownership gets to keep the “Arizona” prefix to include the entire state like they always want.
There are plenty of Suns fans in Tucson.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Having the nickname be the same as the city they play in certainly would be unique...and strange.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I think this is an interesting way of explaining what’s happened. It explains Meruelo’s motives and intent in a different way. It’s more hopeful about the future of nhl hockey coming back sooner.

Yeah as this narrative has developed over the last 36 hours or so it almost seems plausible to me. I just have zero confidence of it actually occurring even with such a deal being struck.

What's the set of events that has to occur, and this is just a start:
AM gets his billion (does he get all of it? How? What about minority owners?)
AM has to have this billion available in 3-5 years to give to the NHL (are we putting this in some sort of escrow or is it just on AM's word?)
AM has to win this auction
AM has to finance the construction of this establishment in a high interest rate environment ( I was skeptical as f*** of this even before the whole sale to Smith) WHILE keeping that 1B available to repay the NHL to re-enter the league and do so within the reported 5 years?

We're talking about basically the stars to align for something to occur here on this timetable and that........never happens 'round these parts or we'd be talking about the Scottsdale Coyotes at Los Arcos entering the first round of the playoffs right now.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think I like this.

It has potential to confuse people and may prompt many to ask WTF?

Pretty sure I like it anyways.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah as this narrative has developed over the last 36 hours or so it almost seems plausible to me. I just have zero confidence of it actually occurring even with such a deal being struck.

What's the set of events that has to occur, and this is just a start:
AM gets his billion (does he get all of it? How? What about minority owners?)
AM has to have this billion available in 3-5 years to give to the NHL (are we putting this in some sort of escrow or is it just on AM's word?)
AM has to win this auction
AM has to finance the construction of this establishment in a high interest rate environment ( I was skeptical as f*** of this even before the whole sale to Smith) WHILE keeping that 1B available to repay the NHL to re-enter the league and do so within the reported 5 years?

We're talking about basically the stars to align for something to occur here on this timetable and that........never happens 'round these parts or we'd be talking about the Scottsdale Coyotes at Los Arcos entering the first round of the playoffs right now.
The idea of keeping his operations team employed and all the business infrastructure intact by basing operations out of Mullett with the Roadrunners is interesting. Reminds me of the turnkey Moose that made it so easy for the Jets to appear overnight.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The idea of keeping his operations team employed and all the business infrastructure intact by basing operations out of Mullett with the Roadrunners is interesting. Reminds me of the turnkey Moose that made it so easy for the Jets to appear overnight.

Doesn't seem practical because the AHL revenue is much smaller, the staff will need to be downsized.

Reactions: Kaizen

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm all in for the Arizona Phoenix, why can't it be the city and the bird that rises from the ashes?? I hope the Coyotes brand dies with this move to SLC.

It's a complete slam dunk for an expansion team. I don't think there's a better concept available (unless they want to keep the native motif and go with "Thunderbirds"). Which is why Meruelo will never, ever, ever either think of it or consider it.

Reactions: Knights2017

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I love the kachina design. And if they create a new team, they should adopt it.
So maybe there is a mythological creature that resembles the phoenix in the local native culture that could be used. Or an animal that would look great as a kachina design.

Because that is the best design style that i have ever seen.

Of course this would have to be done with the natives. But it would be such a great result.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad