Speculation: IF one develops into Center, who would it be? (Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov)

IF one of these players develops into a center, who do you think it would be?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

• Vitali Kravtsov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You know how I feel about this but I will say Kravtsov to me has already shown at a very high level that he can be a very responsible two way center. I absolutely loved his performance in the WJC. I hope he gets a chance there because his opportunity as a top 6 wing anytime soon is going to be basically non existent thru no fault of his own

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I look at it as, until they've all shown they're worthy of the top 6 we dont have a logjam. You can run lines 2 and 3 evenly enough that they're all getting plenty of game time too.

Laf has the pure talent and the additional defensive abilities to handle c but none of them are really centers

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
It's going to be a moot point in the O-zone... You're actual center just needs to be responsible and willing to play in the slot, whether high or low, and the other wing have a good shot... or vice-versa... that's how it was with Jagr, and even Bure. Everything I see and here says these guys can all run things from their respective sides (to varying extents). NHL players don't shrivel up and die out of position. Kreider CAN play RW like St. Louis COULD play C... just not well. Players aren't like that in 2020.

EDIT: actually there was no real system with Bure.

Last edited:

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Kravtsov should be the one getting the look, but it seems like the logical direction will be to move Buch, likely to fill a hole elsewhere or for cap space, and give Kravtsov the spot to earn in camp on the right side.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know small sample size but Kravtsov. Didn't he play center at the world juniors with a bad tricep injury and played well. I wouldn't mess with Lafreniere and Kakko's position.
I would hope Chytil gets better and tries to grab the 2C spot and what about Barron? I thought he was supposed to be possibility for decent bottom 6 center with size?!

This^
Kravtsov AINEC

Chytil coming along nicely.

Reactions: bl02

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kravtsov should be the one getting the look, but it seems like the logical direction will be to move Buch, likely to fill a hole elsewhere or for cap space, and give Kravtsov the spot to earn in camp on the right side.

Krav can play pivot and if Kappo LW and righty shot Panarin RW, that will help

Another line is
Kreider-Zib-LaF

Howden-Chytil-Gauthier

Lemiuex-Nieves-Gettinger checking line

trade Buch, Strome, Deangelo

Other possible variations on this theme, such as we wind up w/Nylander, in which case he would RD Zib line and LaF would take Howden's place and Howden would push Zib to 13.
But the above is what happens if we deal excess vets we don't want to pay for non F help

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
You know how I feel about this but I will say Kravtsov to me has already shown at a very high level that he can be a very responsible two way center. I absolutely loved his performance in the WJC. I hope he gets a chance there because his opportunity as a top 6 wing anytime soon is going to be basically non existent thru no fault of his own

At this point I feel like there is some revisionist history going on with this WJC performance.

From what I remember it was utterly forgettable. The main excuses were that Kravtsov was playing out of position and was injured.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, while I would definitely like to pursue another center, I'd be careful about getting all caught up in the logjam "problem."

Lines are fluid and people get way too riled up about ranking them. When the Kings won the Cup in 2014 King-Stoll-Williams played more than Pearson-Carter-Toffoli. Everoyne would consider the latter their "2nd line" and nobody cared that Carter was actually on the 3rd line by TOI.

In 2017, Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel was effectively Pittsburgh's "3rd line" because no Crosby or Malkin but it was also their best line and again, nobody cared that their star winger was on "boogah boogah the 3rd line!"

If we win the Cup in 2023 with Kreider-Barron-Fast f***ing everyone up, nobody will care that Kreider is on the 3rd line.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lafreniere has the size. You don't need to be 6'3" to be a center. And Laf is a pure playmaker. Makes you wonder why he didn't play center coming up? Strange.
Yes but with Zibanejad and god forbid Strome, we have scoring centers. What I think we sorely lack is a matchup guy.

I could see Kravtsov quietly developing into a great defensive player, and that's not mine, @Raspewtin sold me on it.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kravtsov and i really wouldn’t even consider laf or kakko tbh

not that it’ll ever happen

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Krav can play pivot and if Kappo LW and righty shot Panarin RW, that will help

Another line is
Kreider-Zib-LaF

Howden-Chytil-Gauthier

Lemiuex-Nieves-Gettinger checking line

trade Buch, Strome, Deangelo

Other possible variations on this theme, such as we wind up w/Nylander, in which case he would RD Zib line and LaF would take Howden's place and Howden would push Zib to 13.
But the above is what happens if we deal excess vets we don't want to pay for non F help

Never give it up, Bern!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I thought D) Chytil could be added too. I don’t think his developing into a bona fide center is for certain.
It may be possible to carry him as a center with great wingers, but that’s a little different. I guess it depends on how his defense improves.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Did not vote. If any of these players are forced to center it will be a huge mistake and we will not be a cup contender.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2