If Michkov somehow falls to us, do YOU take him?

RED SAVAGE STAN

Aug 19, 2022
The game breaking talent this franchise desperately needs rn even if hes another winger, I'd say **** YESS

Don't think Stevie is stupid enough to pass on him either, especially with his history with Russians

PLZ GOD make it happen lol

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Him not coming over until 2026 is why I would be hesitant to draft him. Also, he will be gone by the time we draft at 6-10 or whatever.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't hype yourself up about these imaginary scenarios. Teams like Chicago, San Jose, Arizona etc. should have no problem drafting him and waiting for him to arrive.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Him not coming over until 2026 is why I would be hesitant to draft him. Also, he will be gone by the time we draft at 6-10 or whatever.

It's not really a big difference for some other average player selected at 10-15th overall. Those also usually take at least a year, most probably 2.

If Michkov comes after 3 seasons after his draft, I'm fine with that. Kaprizov came after 5 years, and went straight to stardom.

Take the best talent, no matter what. Outside Bedard, there's no other slam dunk talent on this draft than Michkov.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's not really a big difference for some other average player selected at 10-15th overall. Those also usually take at least a year, most probably 2.

If Michkov comes after 3 seasons after his draft, I'm fine with that. Kaprizov came after 5 years, and went straight to stardom.

Take the best talent, no matter what. Outside Bedard, there's no other slam dunk talent on this draft than Michkov.

Yes, but we need actual top talent on the team now, not 3 years from now. There is also no guarantee he will do what Kaprizov is doing.

Don't hype yourself up about these imaginary scenarios. Teams like Chicago, San Jose, Arizona etc. should have no problem drafting him and waiting for him to arrive.

What imaginary scenario? He has a KHL contract until 2026 as far as I know, and the KHL doesn't let you break that to come to the NHL.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes, but we need actual top talent on the team now, not 3 years from now. There is also no guarantee he will do what Kaprizov is doing.

Any 18-year old is not gonna change our team NOW. Except maybe Bedard.

You draft some other 18-year old, and the real impact will come not sooner than in 3 years. It's same with Michkov. He can develop at Russia, and then jump in just as a more prepared player.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Don’t overthink it. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Remember that this build is not to guarantee a win by 2026. It’s to be a major player for the long term. Watch someone like Kaprizov and his impact on the Wild after playing 5 years in the KHL after being drafted. If Michkov were to somehow be available, or say the Wings finish and win the lottery only enough to move up to 4th overall, you take him.

Another guy is Panarin, who didn’t start his NHL career until he was 24. He wasn’t drafted, but you look at the amount that Kaprizov and Panarin have been able to produce for their respective teams despite not being around for 4 or 5 years.

Unless there are significant character flaws, you don’t worry about the when.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

What imaginary scenario? He has a KHL contract until 2026 as far as I know, and the KHL doesn't let you break that to come to the NHL.

The imaginary scenario is Michkov being available at the Wings pick. The poster is saying that those other teams that would draft ahead of the Wings are in a good position to sit and wait for him to come to the NHL. If he ever comes...

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Will never happen, but unless you're taking Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson passing on him should he a fireable offense. Most of these kids aren't going to make a real impact for 3 years anyway. We're not looking for a star now, we're looking for a star to win us cups during Seider and Raymond's prime.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Would love to have this kid wear the winged wheel. His offensive instincts and ability are out of this world. The exact type of player needed to bring excitement to the fans night in and out.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
any GM that doesn't take him picking 4th or later if he falls out of the top 3 should be fired on the spot

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
any GM that doesn't take him picking 4th or later if he falls out of the top 3 should be fired on the spot

I hope same happens, as happened with Lundell. He should have gone at 4th-5th overall.

Falled to 12th overall.

Kemell was hyped as the 2nd best talent for pre-2021 draft, falled to 16th overall.

World full of examples and those examples will be at our pick range.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Those teams will think the same and he will be available at 10.

I hope same happens, as happened with Lundell. He should have gone at 4th-5th overall.

Falled to 12th overall.

Kemell was hyped as the 2nd best talent for pre-2021 draft, falled to 16th overall.

World full of examples and those examples will be at our pick range.
Even last draft after what happened to Wright

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Will never happen, but unless you're taking Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson passing on him should he a fireable offense. Most of these kids aren't going to make a real impact for 3 years anyway. We're not looking for a star now, we're looking for a star to win us cups during Seider and Raymond's prime.
+ Edvinsson and Kasper

Reactions: evolutionbaby

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we get him, I like to see him with Berggren and Kasper, still we don't have first line center

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1675012327248.png

Simulated this twice, and on 2nd try Detroit won the lottery from 12th position. Went to 3rd overall. Raised 9 positions.

Ottawa won the 2nd overall.

Columbus stayed as worst.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Unless Detroit finally geta lucky in the lottery it is extremely unlikely he will fall to us. However if by some miracle he does you take him every time. This is the only player in this draft whos talent comes close to Bedards.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
That he’d fall to us.
You never know... him saying he won't come over until 2026 might turn a lot of owners off. Do you think Columbus or Arizona's ownership would be willing to wait three years to see any ROI on their top pick?

Stranger things have happened.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yup, there are already teams that plan to tank again next year. He'll definitely be picked by one of them.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
No. Detroit needs game-breaking talent NOW, not in a few years.

No more of this "well maybe we'll be ready to think about maybe competing in a few more years" garbage. Let's go already. Anything less than the playoffs next season is a serious failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad