If McDavid does not win a Cup, but ends up with better regular seasons, would you consider him better than Sid?

If McDavid does not win a Cup, but ends up with better regular seasons, better than Sid?

• Total voters

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McDavid's last playoff performance is better than any playoff performance since Lemieux. There is nothing more McDavid could have possibly done in last year's playoffs to make his team win. He averaged over 2 PPG and was +15 in 16 games. He was completely dominant. Of course winning a cup looks much better when looking at a players legacy though.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Crosby has had an outstanding career. He is a first ballot HOF, and one of, if not, the best players of his generation. He has won everything there is to win. He also dealt with devastating injuries in his prime.

I get that this is an unpopular opinion, but McDavid is on another level. I think when he is done, he is one of the all time greats. As a Canucks fan I have to watch him often, I feel his skill level is higher than anyone I've ever seen with the exception of maybe Lemieux. He will have multiple 150 point seasons. He simply takes over games.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
You can't answer it today.....I think the answer should be relatively simply at the end of the day though. After their careers are done....if McDavid has no playoff success, but his regular seasons are clearly better than Sid's, then no, shouldn't matter, would have no issue having him go down as better player. However, if their regular seasons are relatively comparable....then yes, it will matter and put Sid over the top.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
yes because the question isn’t who was on the better teams. McDavid has a significantly better PPG in the playoffs and literally just out scored Crosbys playoff totals while playing excellent Defense. There’s no “ he doesn’t show up when it matters argument”

If all else is relatively equal then yeah go to cups as a final determinant

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stanley cups dont matter that much tbh. Showing up and dominating does. Mcdavid has shown he could do that to the highest level.

Im not sure ill ever rank him above Sid but in this case yes.

Crosby has had an outstanding career. He is a first ballot HOF, and one of, if not, the best players of his generation. He has won everything there is to win. He also dealt with devastating injuries in his prime.

I get that this is an unpopular opinion, but McDavid is on another level. I think when he is done, he is one of the all time greats. As a Canucks fan I have to watch him often, I feel his skill level is higher than anyone I've ever seen with the exception of maybe Lemieux. He will have multiple 150 point seasons. He simply takes over games.
Crosby is one of the all-time greats, lol. Hes clearly the 5th best player ever.

Crosby is one of the all-time greats, lol. Hes clearly the 5th best player ever.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
yes because the question isn’t who was on the better teams. McDavid has a significantly better PPG in the playoffs and literally just out scored Crosbys playoff totals while playing excellent Defense. There’s no “ he doesn’t show up when it matters argument”
Disagree whole heartedly.

Prime Sid controlled games in the playoffs, on both sides of the puck. McDavid was much more a pop-gun type of player.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Disagree whole heartedly.

Prime Sid controlled games in the playoffs, on both sides of the puck. McDavid was much more a pop-gun type of player.
I’m not saying Sid didn’t play good Defense but something that everyone noted during Mcdavids run is that he was very good defensively, Patricularly in the kings series. Not comparing them as players, just pointing out that McDavid was dominant all over the ice last playoffs so the cup argument becomes moot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m not saying Sid didn’t play good Defense but something that everyone noted during Mcdavids run is that he was very good defensively, Patricularly in the kings series. Not comparing them as players, just pointing out that McDavid was dominant all over the ice last playoffs so the cup argument becomes moot.

I think you're misremembering things. McDavid wasn't lauded for his defensive play in the playoffs, he was lauded for the points he was putting up. His defensive play was still iffy. His GA/60 was 3.6 these past playoffs! His xGA/60 was 3.06. That's not good defensive performance.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Depends a lot on how he and the team perform relative to expectations. If he’s regularly not coming through in the playoffs and the team seems like it should be a contender, then probably not. If he does pretty much all he can while losing like last playoffs, then sure.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
If he performs well in the playoffs, then there's no reason not to. If he ends up with a post-season career like Jagr or worse, Dionne, then that will undoubtedly drag him down. But given that he just pulled a 2001-Forsberg, I'd say he's not tracking to be a playoff disappointment.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If he performs well in the playoffs, then there's no reason not to. If he ends up with a post-season career like Jagr or worse, Dionne, then that will undoubtedly drag him down. But given that he just pulled a 2001-Forsberg, I'd say he's not tracking to be a playoff disappointment.

He's already greatly surpassed Dionne in the playoffs.

By far the best singular run between the two. More career playoff points. More individual impact on his team.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I think you're misremembering things. McDavid wasn't lauded for his defensive play in the playoffs, he was lauded for the points he was putting up. His defensive play was still iffy. His GA/60 was 3.6 these past playoffs! His xGA/60 was 3.06. That's not good defensive performance.
If we're looking at his line-up stats, then his 5vs5 on-ice GF/60 of 6.58(!!!) was probably even more impressive than his point totals.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I dunno tough to say, I guess if you think he should then sure. everyones rankings are different. I dont think there's any rankings set in stone other than total points.
will prob be reasons why he should be above Sid and reasons why he shouldn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad