Line Combos: If Kerfoot is gone, pick a cheap UFA replacement

Assuming Kerfoot is gone, who would be cheaper AND can fill the #3C role?

• Total voters

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
For the record, I think Kerfoot will be back. We have no internal replacement, that I can see. So let's take a quick look at possible replacements that will be available as free agents.

For this thread, assume Kerfoot is gone, and we have to sign a UFA to replace his spot at #3C. Please pick any name that you think can do the job AND sign for less than Kerfoot's 3.5 million. Select all that you think apply.

You don't have to like them better than Kerfoot. Go ahead and suggest a name if I missed someone legit.

I also added a "Spezza can do it" option, just to see how many fans think that's feasible.

Please post your picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Larson should be cheap, and is a darn good defensive forward. Having someone who is very defensively responsible as 3C who may have Robertson and Barbanov as wingers (if we move AJ) may make that line more effective overal.

Galch may be cheap, and has looked decent over the last year or so when in a more depth role. He just seems overmatched in a top 6 capacity.

Koivu would be a heck of a get... if you think the layoff has helped revitalize his legs a bit. Could also go the other way.

Jumbo Joe would be a nice story, but im afraid of his skating issues and a long layoff.

Reactions: The Podium and qqaz

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I'd keep Kerfoot and sign a 3C if we can fit it. Ideally a right shot who can PK. Good to have the centre depth if/when injuries occur.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I have expressed my thoughts of changing the entire bottom six this off season suits me fine.Kappy was my favourite of the third line and Johnsson and Kerfoot are hopefully moved. Hallander is a defensive center. Hopefully he can take that third line center job and play great defensively and add some goals here and there. Energy,defense and jam in the bottom six is whats needed. Our bottom six have been physically easy to play against for years. Teams feeling it a bit physically after playing us is non existent mostly.
The poll options don’t inspire anything of interest for me. I voted spezza but always wanted him kept and the rest taken out back and dumped

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Mikko for sure. We need quality vets in this lineup, especially ones that are FO aces. With him and Malholtra joining the crew, we should see big improvement in that area.

Reactions: Kurtz and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Just added "none" and "other" options to the poll.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I didn't want Larsson before because Kerfoot's faceoffs burned us in the playoffs. Why replace him with another guy whose average / mediocre at faceoffs?

But now that we have Malhotra, a faceoff technician, perhaps Larsson can see an increase in his wins.

Larsson for me. I am desperate for a guy who is going to make defence his priority.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I'd rather keep him and trade Johnsson. We're deep at LW and Robertson will probably end up being a better 3rd liner than any of these players and for league minimum.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Remember how the repeated mantra in the Clifford departure thread is that he's easy to replace? What's so difficult to replace about 9 goals, 19 assists in 65 games in a buyer's market? The problem is who would take Kerfoot's contract and why in the world would the GM completely nuke the Kadri deal after 1 season? Surely the GM doesn't have a death wish.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Soderberg, Smith, Haula and Galchenyuk might score too much on a contract. I don't think they want to spend big money in that position if they move him, they'll shift it to defense.

I would try and sell Big Joe on coming home for 1 year at a discount. If not him I think Cody Eakin would fit the bill, he's a bit of a reclamation project but because of that will come at a discount and he has shown to be a capable middle-6 option in the past. I would try and sell Koivu on coming for 1 year as my third plan.

I think Larsson is the perfect 4C. He should be cheap. Good target. Girgensons and Grant are other good options for 4C for a cheap price.

Not interested in Brassard or Janmark if possible. Colin Wilson would be a good PTO.

I would look at a few of these guys for wing positions as well.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Is Rodriguez an option? If he signs cheaper?

Ideally our top 6 handles most of scoring and PP, Bottom 6 punishes, defensively responsible and PKs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Soderberg could be my most ideal option from that list. I'm not sure he'd be cheaper or cheaper enough than Kerfoot though. Any UFA replacement signed might also be for less than the three year term left on Kerfoot's contract. Making a move there then probably works best if a 3C is developing from within while being fairly close to NHL ready.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Tbh I like Kerfoot better as a LW and I think he'll do better at LW as his main position with the ability to play Centre if injuries come up.

Reactions: brhymes19

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Remember how the repeated mantra in the Clifford departure thread is that he's easy to replace? What's so difficult to replace about 9 goals, 19 assists in 65 games in a buyer's market? The problem is who would take Kerfoot's contract and why in the world would the GM completely nuke the Kadri deal after 1 season? Surely the GM doesn't have a death wish.

You know he's trading 15 for a D.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think the Leafs like the versatility that Kerfoot brings and think he stays with the team. He has the ability to play centre, but really is probably more suited to play the wing.

I'm okay if he's back for depth purposes and they move on from Mango.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad