If Jack M.F. Johnson ruled the world?

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
When was the last time that a defenseman was this dominate in the NCAA. The guy just looks extremely bored out there. He dictates play in all three zones. He plays a very well balanced game . Not to mention he has amazing skill. I have heard comparisons to Blake but, I think the guy has more skill than Rob. He seems a little more like a cross between Blake and Niedermeyer.

gerhart

Aug 4, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
www.myspace.com
As a first round pick (third overall), Johnson has much more hype coming out of Michigan than Blake did as a fourth rounder out of Bowling Green. As much as Canadian World Juniors fans hated seeing him play the past few years, I am greatly excited to what Johnson step onto the ice at Staples Center. I honestly do not see how he can become a bust. Solid player all around.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Well, Jack Johnson is far from perfect right now. But as long as he can learn to make the safe, smart play(that's what seperates him from Nieds) he'll be a good/great one.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Watched the game last night. Hattrick for JJ - but Michigan's defense was pretty bad. They should be one of the best with 3 x first rounders in JJ, Mitera, Summers and Hunswick too, but their GAA is 36th in the NCAA.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Watched WJC's. All of the games. I was there. Jack Johnson is immature. He plays for the scouts, but puts his team behind in the process. You can tell he is high on himslef....but he should spend more time thinking about the play. His on ice awareness is mediocre, at best. He'll be a player for years to come. But don't expect anymore than a 3rd Dman

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Watched WJC's. All of the games. I was there. Jack Johnson is immature. He plays for the scouts, but puts his team behind in the process. You can tell he is high on himslef....but he should spend more time thinking about the play. His on ice awareness is mediocre, at best. He'll be a player for years to come. But don't expect anymore than a 3rd Dman

I would expect more than a 3rd dman. I think he'll be a solid top pairing guy with all that skill that he has. I'm simply just not sold that he'll be anything like Rob Blake or Dion Phaneuf.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Possible, we'll see

On the other hand, you also said the OHL was more competitive than the SEL...

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005

Well, I wasn't there, so I'll have to believe what my TV showed me... And JJ has been the Dman that impressed me the most in that tourney - heck, he is the player that impressed me the most. He made one crappy play, yeah I know, but everything else he did was amazing.

I predict a first pairing, reliable and dominant Dman (yeah I know, not much of a risk I'm taking).

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
Well, I wasn't there, so I'll have to believe what my TV showed me... And JJ has been the Dman that impressed me the most in that tourney - heck, he is the player that impressed me the most. He made one crappy play, yeah I know, but everything else he did was amazing.

I predict a first pairing, reliable and dominant Dman (yeah I know, not much of a risk I'm taking).

Not sure which tournament you watched but Eric Johnson far outshined Jack, EJ 10 pts to Jack's 3 (no assists). I question his hockey sense and discipline...

No doubt Jack is going to play in the show, but comparisons to Blake & Niedermayer are a way off base IMHO.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Not sure which tournament you watched but Eric Johnson far outshined Jack, EJ 10 pts to Jack's 3 (no assists). I question his hockey sense and discipline...

No doubt Jack is going to play in the show, but comparisons to Blake & Niedermayer are a way off base IMHO.

I think Jovo is a good comparison, all the ability in the world, big, strong, fast, great shot everything you could want except the defensive awareness needed to be in the same class as guys like Niedermayer.

Randall Graves*

When was the last time that a defenseman was this dominate in the NCAA. The guy just looks extremely bored out there. He dictates play in all three zones. He plays a very well balanced game . Not to mention he has amazing skill. I have heard comparisons to Blake but, I think the guy has more skill than Rob. He seems a little more like a cross between Blake and Niedermeyer.
All 3 zones? he's and outstanding offensive defensemen but he needs alot of work in his own zone based on what i've seen this season. He's got all the physical tools but i'm not quite sure about his head but I think when he gets to the NHL he'll be forced to play a safer game.

and he's not a cross of two potential hall of fame defensemen either..

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
yeah right, but the others apects of his game reminds me of Gonchar.

Good point here though.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Right now JJ definitely lacks the discipline to draw comparisons to a guy like Niedermayer. He CAN be dominant in all three zones but he seems to not care as much in the defensive zone. I hope this is a matter of boredom because he really does look dominant out there, but until he gets his head screwed on right about the difference between making a SMART play versus a great play (both of which he is capable of making at any given time) he is never going to live up to the "future Norris" billing that he got.

Comparisons to Niedermayer are way off, but comparisons to Blake and Jovo (when they were young) are pretty good considering neither Blake nor Jovo were ever thought of as steady along the lines of a Lidstrom or Bourque.

Scott Stevens also comes to mind as a comparable: a guy that started off as a maniac with lots of potential that turned into a much more solid and appropriately feared defenseman.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Johnson is just trying too hard to do a bit of everything. He's the type who isn't going to backoff to allow forwards to skate in, he'll rush at them to cut 'em off at the blueline (or at the center redline if he can). He's overzealous, but that is expected of a young player.

I recall the same things being said regarding Tim Gleason (although he never was touted as having the same offensive potential as JJ).

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
IMO the best comparision to NHL players for JJ are a young Chelios or his idol, Vladimir Konstantinov.

Sign at Yost tonight: "Jack Bauer wears Jack Johnson pajamas." :biglaugh:

VisionQuest*

He needs a challenge.

as a kings fan, Im hoping he hurries up and finds it at the next level.

Nice weekend against the Bulldogs.

Randall Graves*

Right now JJ definitely lacks the discipline to draw comparisons to a guy like Niedermayer. He CAN be dominant in all three zones but he seems to not care as much in the defensive zone. I hope this is a matter of boredom because he really does look dominant out there, but until he gets his head screwed on right about the difference between making a SMART play versus a great play (both of which he is capable of making at any given time) he is never going to live up to the "future Norris" billing that he got.

Comparisons to Niedermayer are way off, but comparisons to Blake and Jovo (when they were young) are pretty good considering neither Blake nor Jovo were ever thought of as steady along the lines of a Lidstrom or Bourque.

Scott Stevens also comes to mind as a comparable: a guy that started off as a maniac with lots of potential that turned into a much more solid and appropriately feared defenseman.
Yeah a Blake or Jovo sounds right, if he can get a bit more disciplined in terms of jumping in the play and making the safe plays when he has to,I would say he'll be alot closer to Blake than Jovo.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
It's hard to judge a player's ability when he is extremely bored with his competition. Hopefully JJ goes NHL soon so we can accurately judge the kid.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
I totally agree with the sentiment that he's playing for the scouts, and I think he may become a dressing room cancer in Hollywood. If he's playing for the scouts now, he'll be playing for media attention in L.A., much like Sean Avery. If he were playing in, say, Montreal, I think he'd easily be NHL superstar, but I'm not sold on him becoming a great in L.A., he'll be a top two defenceman, but not a star.

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005

Oh I know Erik got the stats and the honors, and I know quite a handful of other Dmen had better stats, but I just prefered Jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad