Speculation: If Habs are out by trade deadline

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Markov is at least a second.
DD nothing. Emelin nothing.
Plekanec to a team that needs a defensively reliable centre who could be taken by Las Vegas in the expansion draft.
Radulov... if he has a great season but Montreal sucks, he could be the biggest free agent to grab. Big return for him.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You should reboot your sarcasmometer.

Literally every other post you've made in this thread leads me to believe that your original post was serious. So saying Weber sucks and should retire is sarcasm? But 5 posts later you say he went from a #1D to a #5D in one game... either you don't know sarcasm or hockey, probably both.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Emelin (grit and toughness) and Mitchell (speed and defensive play) bring important elements for playoffs push.

Emelin might needs retention because of his last contract year.

The 3 rentals are prime offensive pieces and many teams might be interested.

Emelin would not get a 2nd.

He is overpaid, and he sucks.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
When a General Manger trades for a pending Unrestricted Free Agent at the deadline, very rarely are they doing so in order to retain the player long term.

Most contending clubs - the teams that are acquiring pieces at the deadline - are usually operating with limited cap space and only fit in their acquisitions because the contracts are almost expired.

Very rarely are they even trying to retain the player beyond that spring so the age of the player is really irrelevant.

They are not interested in the age of the player but rather the need he addresses.

Markov is a veteran defensemen who is very capable defensively and has been among the best offensive defensemen in the league for several years.

Unless he slows down dramatically this year in terms of his abilities, his age at the deadline would be totally irrelevant.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. I think it's extremely unlikely the Canadiens would be sellers this spring.

I understand how deadline deals generally work. Even still, I don't think a team would spend a 1st round pick for simply a rental player that they have no hopes of re-signing...

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
there have been many trades at the trade deadline suggesting markov can fetch a 1rst easily. Polak, Timonen, Murray, Russel, Liles. All overpayments for players none better than Markov. Dont look at his age and guess he is declining purely based on that. Stop looking like a fool. Yes, he is not the Markov of old, but he is the same Markov that came back from his injury in 2012. He's been very effective for the habs despite playing in front of scrivens/condon and a ravaged D corpse. He is still valued a lot by GMs, I guarantee u that.
Say the oilers are in playoff contention, an experienced, capable and respected veteran like markov would do wonders for that young D corpse heading into a playoff race.

I never argued he had didn't have value among GMs around the league or could do wonders for a young, inexperienced team. And I understand teams overpay all the time for rental players.

I just don't feel a team would drop a 1st for an aging player they don't even plan on re-signing.

Guess we'll see who "looks like a fool" if and when this ever happens.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I understand how deadline deals generally work. Even still, I don't think a team would spend a 1st round pick for simply a rental player that they have no hopes of re-signing...

It happens sometimes. Mostly because player's cap hit don't fully count on the cap and teams can afford them for a brief amount of time. Surely Hawks didn't think they were going to offer Weise a 2M$+ contract after they gave up Danault and a 2nd round pick for him. Or journeyman Lee Stempniak in Boston for a 2nd and a 4th.

LA sent a 1st round pick and a good prospect a couple years ago for Sekera, who didn't re-sign with them. I don't know if the Kings were planning to have him back, but knowing their cap situation (at the time too), they probably didn't put too much hope in doing so. Similar situation with Vermette in Chicago.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
It happens sometimes. Mostly because player's cap hit don't fully count on the cap and teams can afford them for a brief amount of time. Surely Hawks didn't think they were going to offer Weise a 2M$+ contract after they gave up Danault and a 2nd round pick for him. Or journeyman Lee Stempniak in Boston for a 2nd and a 4th.

LA sent a 1st round pick and a good prospect a couple years ago for Sekera, who didn't re-sign with them. I don't know if the Kings were planning to have him back, but knowing their cap situation (at the time too), they probably didn't put too much hope in doing so. Similar situation with Vermette in Chicago.

IIRC, the Kings were hoping to have him re-sign, but I will concede for the Sekera example. Doesn't happen often though. And even still, any combination of later round draft picks and/or prospects, while maybe great in value, does not equate to a 1st rounder which are regarded much higher than a 2nd and a 4th, etc. with later rounds dropping off so quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad