If Edmonton doesn't make the SCF this year, is the departure of either McDavid or Draisaitl inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
No. I truly do think the core wants to finish what they started and win in the end.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
I think no. Modern sports medicine is extending guys longevity. They have a window opening now. Even if they lose I think you find who you can move on from, and try to retool for another run. But I think the duo stays together.

Best go for it.

Reactions: barry halls

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I would hope the West is better than that. Edmonton in the SCF would be less than thrilling and a ratings disaster in the US.
Yeah, why would Americans want to watch the best hockey player in the world on the biggest stage? What a disaster for fans there that would be ..

Reactions: Video Nasty

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No, they will keep trying. Like theyd have a better chance elsewhere.
Of course they would. When McDavid would be UFA there will be better teams. By then at least one of Montreal, New Jersey, Ottawa and Anaheim with the right moves should be set for a long run.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Of course they would. When McDavid would be UFA there will be better teams. By then at least one of Montreal, New Jersey, Ottawa and Anaheim with the right moves should be set for a long run.

Plus if you put McDavid in a more attractive city (i.e. Vegas, NY) he will attract more talent too.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Yeah haha, how did that work out for JT again?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The PLD trade set them back. I imagine most Kings fans would reverse that trade if given the chance.
Absolutely

I've had this in my back pocket for months, just waiting for the chance

Attachments

• bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, why would Americans want to watch the best hockey player in the world on the biggest stage? What a disaster for fans there that would be ..
The people interested in watching McDavid are already watching the SCF in the states…

But McDavid in the SCF means at least one market isn’t getting a bump from casuals…

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
They are obviously both gone regardless. I am sure they want to win a cup. And it ain't happening in Shelbyville.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
US hockey fans are no different than Canadian hockey fans. Sportsnet is struggling because there hasnt been any Canadian teams in the finals. US fans don’t care about McDavid or Edmonton for that matter but if he was playing for Pitt, Chicago, etc., they could sell him.

Same with Matthews, although fans may hate watch the Leafs, it’s a missed opportunity not to have him playing a major US market in his prime.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
The people interested in watching McDavid are already watching the SCF in the states…

But McDavid in the SCF means at least one market isn’t getting a bump from casuals…
One American market less watching in comparison to the addition of how many hockey fans from markets around the world who are interested in seeing McDavid play for the cup? I believe the second option would draw more fans

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
US hockey fans are no different than Canadian hockey fans. Sportsnet is struggling because there hasnt been any Canadian teams in the finals. US fans don’t care about McDavid or Edmonton for that matter but if he was playing for Pitt, Chicago, etc., they could sell him.

Same with Matthews, although fans may hate watch the Leafs, it’s a missed opportunity not to have him playing a major US market in his prime.
I think that is a generalization. I am not from USA or Argentina but I watched GOATs (Lebron, Brady, Messi, etc) from other countries who are not on my favorite teams when they play for championships. It is the pinnacle of a sport and the greatest having a chance to play for it will always draw fans.

Reactions: Video Nasty

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I would hope the West is better than that. Edmonton in the SCF would be less than thrilling and a ratings disaster in the US.
Yes. The US Networks are clamouring for an Islanders v Preds final instead.

I understand the US viewers desiring US based teams, but Edmonton at least can bring 2 Hart trophy winners to the show. Cal Clutterbuck going up against Colton Sissons also screams ratings disaster.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would McDavids agent and closest advisor walk away from the agency he built up and the players he promised to represent in order to take the helm of the Oilers if McDavid was going to leave in 2 years?

Where else is he going to get that level of control over the organization? The Oilers also have the ability to pay him the most with the 8th year, same with Draisaitl.

McDavid is going nowhere because Jackson wouldn’t take the OEG job if McDavid was not planning to stay for the long term. Leon might go but I think he’s very attached to Mcdavid on and off the ice so he’ll probably extend, when we’re talking about a roughly 13M-14M AAV the Oilers have a massive advantage in boosting the overall contract value with the 8th year, other teams would have to get crazy with AAV just to match value.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
TV viewership in the US is even more regional than Canada and removing a market is tough, not too mention the SCF will be on ESPN/ABC . If a hard core fan like me is not interested in a Florida Edmonton final, for e.g., my guess is it will be hard to draw eyes. I could be wrong.
And yet the NHL team that was involved in the US national tv games this year was the Oilers with 18 appearances so it seems that the networks don't share your opinion.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
They are obviously both gone regardless. I am sure they want to win a cup. And it ain't happening in Shelbyville.
Delusional hopes and prayers from a Flames fan that watched McDrai completely dismantle their team both on and off the ice. Keep dreamin son

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
One American market less watching in comparison to the addition of how many hockey fans from markets around the world who are interested in seeing McDavid play for the cup? I believe the second option would draw more fans
Well, since the discussion was U.S. markets, and you’re now changing it to markets “around the world” I’m not sure what your point is that McDavid is a bigger draw in Helsinki than random generic western conference team based in the U.S.

As for your belief McDavid would help U.S. ratings more than a U.S. based team you’re just flat out wrong…

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes. The US Networks are clamouring for an Islanders v Preds final instead.

I understand the US viewers desiring US based teams, but Edmonton at least can bring 2 Hart trophy winners to the show. Cal Clutterbuck going up against Colton Sissons also screams ratings disaster.
They want the Rangers/Bruins vs Col/Dal/Preds.

Personally, I’d like to see Carolina and Nashville.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
NJ will save their cap space to sign Quinn Hughes as a UFA in the next offseason.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And yet the NHL team that was involved in the US national tv games this year was the Oilers with 18 appearances so it seems that the networks don't share your opinion.
Oddly enough I don’t think I’ve seen the oilers play this year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Wouldn’t making the SCF this year be considered an over achievement?
It's hard to keep track of these things. One day they have horrible D and goaltending and are pretenders, the next day anything short of a Finals or a cup is an embarrassment.

Reactions: Czechboy

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Should it be inevitable? Possibly.
Will it be? No. The GM who trades either player will have a target on their back forever, and GMs love making easy decisions. When you have a nice job worth a lot of money, and part of the boy's club, you'll not want to ruin that with a risky decision which turns bad.

It could help the team win if one left, but ultimately the return needs to be a guaranteed success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad