If Edmonton doesn't make the SCF this year, is the departure of either McDavid or Draisaitl inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the oilers lose to the Kings in round one I see Draisatl getting traded this summer. He would return a haul.

Reactions: Macheteops

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If Draisaitl isn't willing to sign an extension in early July, I would trade him whether they win the Cup or not. Ideally they both get signed to extensions but I would trade both Draisaitl and McDavid early July in the next few season's if they won't sign extensions. The Oilers cannot risk losing either as UFA's. I am sure they will do the best they can to sign both.

Reactions: Macheteops

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Wouldn’t making the SCF this year be considered an over achievement?
The Oilers are getting to the point where only winning the Cup will satisfy both the team and fan base. If they can't win the Cup with this roster it might be time to consider some bigger changes.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just making the Cup final won't make anyone in Edmonton happy. If this team can't win the Cup at this point they probably should start considering some bigger changes at some point.
I would hope the West is better than that. Edmonton in the SCF would be less than thrilling and a ratings disaster in the US.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The only way they depart Oilers is through free agency (if they don't want to stay in Edmonton)
impossible to trade, Oilers would be asking too much and nobody could pay the value

McDavid is signed until 2026
Draisaitl until 2025.
Completely disagree….

There is ZERO chance they leave as UFA. Edmonton would be crazy to keep either of them in a contract year without having worked out an extension.

And take Draisaitl for example… he’s far easier to fit in this summer with only $8.5 due next year… any team would send a couple solid NHLers + open the prospect vault. And they’d still have a full season to prep for his contract, including the advantage of spreading the economics over 8 years.

If Oilers don’t resign him this summer, they will trade him and find plenty of buyers.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They've got the easiest path they could've asked for. 3 of the top 4 teams and the defending champions are in the opposite bracket. They're playing a much worse opponent than their 5th seeded ranking deserves.

That said, they're still an incredibly flawed team and a SCF appearance is a lofty goal even if McDrai carry then

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Of course not. I expect them to throw a lot of money at both of them when the hit FA, and as Wyshynski likes to say "NHL players don't like to move their stuff".

The only trade I could foresee is Draisatl at next year's trade deadline if the Oilers are out of the playoff race, which is unlikely.

I sincerely doubt Edmonton ever lets Draisatl or McDavid get anywhere near FA. If they do, they're absolutely morons. Draisatl contract talks should begin in July and if he's at all hesitate, you have to explore trading him. They absolutely cannot risk him deciding to pull a Taveras or Gaudreau.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How many more years can they withstand futility without a drastic change?

p.s. Oilers fans, don't get mad at this thread. Consider it an anti-jinx in your team's favor.
Inevitable is too strong a word. Most hockey players have a long career with the teams that drafted them.

Futility is also a strong word. EDM are a good team and have a better playoff record than many other teams.

This idea that "No cups = no success" is for cynical sports fans, and for people who carry certainty around with them. McDavid/Drai are good players with successful careers. The Oilers are a successful team. How could you argue differently unless you only go by the silly notion that "No cups = no success".

Montreal have the most cups. Are they the only team with anything to be proud of and every other team doesn’t? The bigger picture might argue differently.

Reactions: barry halls

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
McDavid gives me those "good ol canadian boy" vibes where the hockey culture would resent him if he left for another team. I just don't see him leaving, even if the oilers don't ever win a cup

Draisatle on the other hand I can see potentially leaving down the line but I don't expect this year

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If the oilers lose to the Kings in round one I see Draisatl getting traded this summer. He would return a haul.
Nope
I sincerely doubt Edmonton ever lets Draisatl or McDavid get anywhere near FA. If they do, they're absolutely morons. Draisatl contract talks should begin in July and if he's at all hesitate, you have to explore trading him. They absolutely cannot risk him deciding to pull a Taveras or Gaudreau.
It's better marketing for the Oilers if they do let him walk.

"We offered him the max for 8 years, and he still left" is easier to spin as a PR/Marketing department than "we traded him for magic beans, and scratch off lotto tickets".

Completely disagree….

There is ZERO chance they leave as UFA. Edmonton would be crazy to keep either of them in a contract year without having worked out an extension.

And take Draisaitl for example… he’s far easier to fit in this summer with only $8.5 due next year… any team would send a couple solid NHLers + open the prospect vault. And they’d still have a full season to prep for his contract, including the advantage of spreading the economics over 8 years.

If Oilers don’t resign him this summer, they will trade him and find plenty of buyers.

Absolutely 100% they have to let them walk for nothing. One makes the GM and the organization the bad guy, the other makes the player the bad guy.

Does Calgary really want Johnny Hockey back? Are they happy with the return they got for the Tkachuk trade?

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I would hope the West is better than that. Edmonton in the SCF would be less than thrilling and a ratings disaster in the US.
Interesting....the last time the Oilers made the finals the game 7 rating on NBC took in 5.29 million viewers in the states....seems pretty respectable to me.

And considering the opponent was Carolina, no offense to Carolina, but not what you would call a traditional hockey region in the US. those are pretty decent numbers.

Fast forward to now and the Oilers have the best player in the world who is arguably the most exciting player to watch as well, and I think the ratings will be fine.

Reactions: Roof Daddy

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nope

It's better marketing for the Oilers if they do let him walk.

"We offered him the max for 8 years, and he still left" is easier to spin as a PR/Marketing department than "we traded him for magic beans, and scratch off lotto tickets".

Absolutely 100% they have to let them walk for nothing. One makes the GM and the organization the bad guy, the other makes the player the bad guy.

Does Calgary really want Johnny Hockey back? Are they happy with the return they got for the Tkachuk trade?

Really... you honestly believe that in Edmonton of all places, the fans are going to side with "management spin" on losing one or two of the best players to live without getting anything in return?

Do you not remember that the first decade of despair started with empty seats throughout the mid-nineties until after ownership stabilized with EIG and Weight and Arnott breathed life into the dusty shell of the franchise. I'm sure Katz remembers. (and keep in mind we actually GOT something for Gretz and Messier... it could have been worse).

I fully expect a new Draisaitl contract or a trade this summer.

Reactions: barry halls

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Interesting....the last time the Oilers made the finals the game 7 rating on NBC took in 5.29 million viewers in the states....seems pretty respectable to me.

And considering the opponent was Carolina, no offense to Carolina, but not what you would call a traditional hockey region in the US. those are pretty decent numbers.

Fast forward to now and the Oilers have the best player in the world who is arguably the most exciting player to watch as well, and I think the ratings will be fine.
It would depend on who they played, I suppose. I have missed one SCF and Cup presentation in last 50years (storm knocked out power in the 2nd period of Sid’s first Cup) but I'm not certain I’d be watching this year if any of the western Canadian teams made the final.
Even Nashville drawing Vancouver was a bit of downer after and we are debating if we’ll go to the game next Sunday afternoon.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I think if Edmonton doesn't win the Pacific bracket it might be the biggest chokejob of the McDavid era. Worse than them getting swept by Winnipeg and Colorado.

Their bracket is Vancouver, LA and Nashville. Two of those three teams missed the playoffs last year, the other the Oilers beat 2x in a row.

I don't know if Drai leaves though because I imagine Edmonton will pay him more than anyone else would.
Speaking of choke jobs… I look forward to watching the Leafs play the Bruins once again in round 1.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Really... you honestly believe that in Edmonton of all places, the fans are going to side with "management spin" on losing one or two of the best players to live without getting anything in return?
Yes.

Johnny Hockey was given a way bigger contract to stay in Calgary. He CHOSE to walk. Flames fans can't blame management for that, and they don't.

They're blamed for trading away Tkachuk for Huberdeau who turned back into a pumpkin.

Do you not remember that the first decade of despair started with empty seats throughout the mid-nineties.

Yes.

The whole story goes like this:

There was an absolutely horrible economic recession in Alberta during the mid 90's and Edmontonians could not afford luxuries like hockey tickets. The massive disparity between the USD and CAD made it incredibly expensive for Canadian teams to run their franchises without a massive annual loss, the NHL had to step in with a welfare program to stop more Canadian franchises from leaving.

That had nothing to do with UFA's leaving Edmonton. We could not compete with the offers they were getting from American markets.

Last edited:

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Nope, way better teams have not one the cup, also most fans and people who follow the league k ow that Edmonton needs better D and goalies.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
If Toronto doesn't make it past the second round is the departure of Matthews or Marner inevitable ;)

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I can't see how they don't make it out of the Pacific. By far the weakest quarter of the bracket.
You realize the Canucks beat them all 4 games this year by a combined score of 21-9, right? It wouldn't be that surprising if they can't get past the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad