If Detroit Drafts a Center in the First Round, Which Qualities Should They Look For Most?

Which qualities are most important for Detroit's next center?

• Competitiveness/Intensity

• Defensive Ability

• Hockey IQ

• Playmaking/Passing

• Physicality/Strength

• Scoring

• Size

• Skating Dexterity

• Speed

• Stick-Handling

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I love how Yzerman is so bitter about not winning a cup in Tampa, you can tell it's really bothering him. Hope that motivation plays out in our favor.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I'd say generally speaking, IQ, skating and intensity are the 3 most important. BUT, since the question was which qualities the RW should be looking for the most in their next center, I voted IQ and playmaking. You'd still want above average to great scores in most of the other categories to go along with that, though.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I voted Hockey IQ and playmaking/passing. Not exactly out on a limb with those picks, I see!

Though as I was thinking about what to vote for I was a little torn and actually wished there was a more general "good hands" kind of category. It think we need more skilled passers but also more skilled receivers of the pass. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest Hockey IQ in the world and can see three steps ahead to where you need to be but then muff the pass you get.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Pure stretch four. Jk

I’ll go competitiveness/intensity and playmaking/passing. Hmm, I guess that means I’m a Krebs guy.

You and me both. I want someone who will scrap like a badger to get the puck, then be able to distribute it to our large-framed wingers.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
To me, IQ and playmaking generally go hand in hand. High IQ players are generally very good at seeing the ice and setting up offense. Datsyuk, Thornton, Larionov all high IQ players and as a consequence amazing playmakers as just a few examples off the top of my head. If I'm looking for a C, I'm looking for IQ > Compete level = Skating.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
IQ was an easy first choice. From there it was a little tricky because I was picking a guy with a high IQ and building on it. I think that implies that he's at least a pretty good playmaker, and maybe intensity isn't all that important if you always know the right play to make.

In the end I settled with IQ and skating dexterity

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad