If Canes don't make it past the second round, do the Canes re-sign Brind’Amour as head coach?

If Canes don't make it past the second round, do the Canes re-sign Brind’Amour as head coach?

• Yes, he is re-signed

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • No, he is not re-signed

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Lol. Rod coaches the team until Rod decides he doesn’t want to coach the team. 0% Canes don’t bring him back after this season.
Canes are my favorites to go to the finals, but if they were to go out early is it possible Rod himself could want a change of scenery ?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Unless he asks for too much money
On 32 thoughts podcast Friedman mentioned it sounds like Brindy wants his assistants taken care of just like last time.

If the team just plays flat maybe they don't, but if they don't advance because of goaltending, or the offense dries up, or something like that I think you gotta bring him back.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canes are my favorites to go to the finals, but if they were to go out early is it possible Rod himself could want a change of scenery ?

Not going to speak for Rod but he’s the coach until he decides not to.

Unless he asks for too much money

Rod is one of the few people in the org with enough clout and leverage to make certain asks and actually have them granted. Dundon only cares about on ice results. Rod very much helps towards that goal. There’s no issue paying Rod. The orevioysly was to get better compensation for his coaching staff which I believe he was successful in.

Have no reason to believe a similar conversation won’t be had this time around. As long as RBA continues to be a valuable part of the team/org structure and his salary asks (or other asks) are reasonable then there should be enough mutual understanding to get a deal done.

Same thing happened with Waddell a few years ago. He wanted more money on his contract. Dundon told him to go out and find his market value so he had talks with Minnesota and I think another team. He came back and negotiated a deal that worked for both sides.

Is it the way the other teams do it in the NHL? Definitely not. Does it come off as cheap at times? Maybe, but what Dundon has done is create a culture of accountability and reasoning. If you can back up your salary request with something to show why you’re worth that to the team or to the open market and it aligns with the team value then deals get done.

What Dundon doesn’t allow is overspending, which is probably a good way to run a business and an NHL team as a whole.

‘Prove you’re worth x amount and you’ll get paid that’.

Kind of the way things should be.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
This is only a question because the Owner is a penny pincher.
That owner is no longer an owner of the team, since we've been successful again. That narrative left with Peter Karmanos when he sold it to Tom Dundon, who is not cheap and will spend money when its needed.

On 32 thoughts podcast Friedman mentioned it sounds like Brindy wants his assistants taken care of just like last time.

If the team just plays flat maybe they don't, but if they don't advance because of goaltending, or the offense dries up, or something like that I think you gotta bring him back.
Rod is 100% team first, and will take care of his assistants first, Tom has said its Rod's team till he doesn't want it. Said the same of Don Waddell and others.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He’s not the reason they can’t go further. Injuries and the GM refusing to go all in are bigger reasons. They are still setup for long term success, no chance.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
As a non Canes fan I consider Rod one of the only (and maybe the only) untouchable coach. Of the coaches with longer tenures he's the only guy that would and should survive a first round exit this year. He's integral to their identity

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Regular season success is pretty important to a small market team’s financial health

As long as he does that he’s safe if you ask me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad