Speculation: If Byfuglien was signed to a 5 X $6.5M ave. what's his trade value?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Is he too valuable to trade at that point or has his value skyrocketed to such a point that his value on the market seriously help us get to the next level quicker and fits better with our going forward player mix (age/tenant)?

Is his talent/effectiveness curve to late into that curve to have enough effect on our future for us to reach our long term goals of being a Red Wings type of team? Or does his personality, talent, locker room value align with our Red Wings wishes?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Keep him, he is our best dman and perhaps our best player. With buff sign our top 4 is locked up for years (assuming of course Trouba is signed as a RFA).

Dhors

Oct 23, 2015
Halifax
5 x 6.5 is a pretty solid deal for Buff. I'd keep him unless we got an offer like Hamonic+Barzal for him. He's an impact player who will be more than relevant for the next few seasons at least.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Aye. 5x6.5 is a ridiculously good deal for Buff. Definitely keep him, but keep the contract front loaded somewhat so it'll be easier to off-load it 1-2 years before it's up.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The Jets can't sign Buff to what's effectively a hometown discount and then turn around and trade him. Any deal like that would have to include a NMC for at least the first few years and a limited one the last couple years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Is he too valuable to trade at that point or has his value skyrocketed to such a point that his value on the market seriously help us get to the next level quicker and fits better with our going forward player mix (age/tenant)?

Is his talent/effectiveness curve to late into that curve to have enough effect on our future for us to reach our long term goals of being a Red Wings type of team? Or does his personality, talent, locker room value align with our Red Wings wishes?
He is worth much more than that, much more. With a NMC, he would still demand a minimum of 7.25 over 5 years. The Jets would be silly not to re-sign him or sign him and trade him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd do 7M for the first two seasons, 6M the next two and after 5M for the final four. I think thats very fair.

8 years at 46m or 5.75m per year? Buff shouldn't be signed to an eight year deal. 4 x 8m per year would be ideal but I would give him 7.5m per year over 5 years without thinking about it twice. I'd give him a NMC with it and make the year of a possible strike (4th year?) a signing bonus of 6.5m with and annual salary of 1m so he would be protected from a lockout.
If Buff is not on the team next year, the team will miss him more than
a lot of people think.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is purely hypothetical. 5x6.5 is not realistic for a start. If he takes shorter term the AAV goes up.

So, that said it is an interesting question. For that price it would be great to keep Buff but at the same time his trade value would be very high. I would have to weigh the offers. We might get a really good LHD + prospect and/or pick that would make the trade option worthwhile. A contract like that would really pump up his value. A more realistic contract, not so much. Then I would just keep Buff.

Realistically I think it is more like 7x6.5, 6x7.50 or 5x8. Give or take a bit. Plus some kind of NMC.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Buff signed such a ridiculously home team discount contract you'd think at minimum he gets a full NMC along with it. You don't that kind of discount without a player keeping full control over future movement. I expect something closer to 5 years with a $7.5 AAV, with a full NMC for the 1st 3 years of the deal and then maybe a modified NMC for the last couple years. I would also expect it to be front loaded a bit so he is easier to move in year 4 and 5 if needed.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This is purely hypothetical. 5x6.5 is not realistic for a start. If he takes shorter term the AAV goes up.

So, that said it is an interesting question. For that price it would be great to keep Buff but at the same time his trade value would be very high. I would have to weigh the offers. We might get a really good LHD + prospect and/or pick that would make the trade option worthwhile. A contract like that would really pump up his value. A more realistic contract, not so much. Then I would just keep Buff.

Realistically I think it is more like
7x6.5, 6x7.50 or 5x8. Give or take a bit. Plus some kind of NMC.

Totally agree that we don't get him for 5 X 6.5 with or without a NMC. Above amounts may be the starting point & suspect all these come with a full NMC at that

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012

Realistically I think it is more like 7x6.5, 6x7.50 or 5x8. Give or take a bit. Plus some kind of NMC.

Those two are very palatable to me. :popcorn:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The more interesting question is how much aav the nmc is worth to Buff and whether we should do it or pay more for a tradable contract.

If we pay more it is less tradeable. I think the NMC is a given. The only question is what limitations might be negotiated in for the last couple of years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. But that's sorta what I meant. i.e. what modifications to the NMC might be worth negotiating, and what they'd cost.

Full NMC to start. Last 2 years, 10 team no go list. What that would cost? Absolutely no idea. Maybe the question should be how willing would you be to dig in your heels and fight on that point?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
AAV of 7.5 over 5.

Full NMC to start. Last 2 years, 10 team no go list. What that would cost? Absolutely no idea. Maybe the question should be how willing would you be to dig in your heels and fight on that point?

I think 10Ducky10's contract breakdown with Mort's NMC idea seems fair. I'd be over joyed if that is how it ended up working out.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
AAV of 7.5 over 5.

I think 10Ducky10's contract breakdown with Mort's NMC idea seems fair. I'd be over joyed if that is how it ended up working out.

Except you can't do that. The CBA says the maximum reduction in year on year salary is 10% of the preceding year. That means if you start with a value of 9.5, you get this:
38.85/5=7.77 AAV. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it's an extra $1.35M in total. Honestly, it's not TOO far off, but I'd rather start at a slightly lower number and work down by the same 10%.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Except you can't do that. The CBA says the maximum reduction in year on year salary is 10% of the preceding year. That means if you start with a value of 9.5, you get this:
38.85/5=7.77 AAV. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it's an extra $1.35M in total. Honestly, it's not TOO far off, but I'd rather start at a slightly lower number and work down by the same 10%.

I believe the limit is 35% not 10%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad