If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You cannot go forward with this loser of a coach. I'd fire him now and let Sacco lose game 5.

His response after the interference non-call was sackless. Not qualified to lead a team. His ra-ra bullshit and neutral zone breakouts get you through a regular season, but Maurice and Keefe both coached f***ing circles around him this spring

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Why would they blow it up? They weren't supposed to be here anyways this year. Just need some help an C and W.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Again, yes. Keep the kids, and Sway, obviously lol, and Brad since he’s obviously going to retire a Bruin, and they’re not trading Pasta. But everyone else can go.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They need to find a way to get a 1C. Obviously easier said than done, and some teams over the years had to look for it for years and never found one.

Historically if you don't have that you won't win the cup. So the B's are kind of stuck in that annoying spot where there's enough good to stay competitive but not enough to go all the way.

Marchand deserves a shit ton of credit for not letting Bergeron's departure affect the team from a leadership standpoint, but he's also getting older which sucks if Poitras becomes what they need down the middle but it takes a few years.

I do feel like last year was their chance and the realistic window to win is shut for now. Does that mean they should blow it up? Not really, even if people don't like to see it that way, there's a lot more to this business than just winning the cup.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Mar 26, 2010
They are going to lose, the series is over next game. No, they don’t blow it up.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Note the question, not "WILL" they blow it up, which is a very different question, but should they? They obviously got very close to winning the whole thing in 2019 (lost in Game 7 at home as a favorite to St. Louis)

Since then:

2019-20: Lost second round to Lightning (4-1)
2020-21: Lost second round to Islanders (4-2)
2021-22: Lost first round to Hurricanes (4-3)
2022-23: Lost first round to Panthers (4-3)

Notable retirements: Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Tuuka Rask, Patrice Bergeron

Brad Marchand turns 36 years old tomorrow (May 11th).

Right now the series with Florida is FAR from over. Obviously if they come back, they should not do anything from a blow it up standpoint.. However, if Florida ultimately does prevail, is the writing on the wall that Boston's sustained period of contention is over? In which case, should they make an attempt to salvage what they can from an asset perspective, or keep riding it out as far as it'll go?
What is there to blow up???

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
What's to blow up?

Trade Marchand, Pastrnak, Swayman or McAvoy... nope.

This was supposed to be a transition year and it is.

Bunch of cap space next year, good young core developing, they're killing the retool.
I wouldn’t say they have a good young core at all

Reactions: TimeZone

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
This team has been in the mix for what seems like this entire century. They've been competitive every year since at least 2010 and probably way before that

What can Bruins fans expect? They have to hit their decline at some point, it's been an unbelievable run for the team. Their downturn is just around the corner

Reactions: Laus723

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
They need to find a way to get a 1C. Obviously easier said than done, and some teams over the years had to look for it for years and never found one.

Historically if you don't have that you won't win the cup. So the B's are kind of stuck in that annoying spot where there's enough good to stay competitive but not enough to go all the way.

Marchand deserves a shit ton of credit for not letting Bergeron's departure affect the team from a leadership standpoint, but he's also getting older which sucks if Poitras becomes what they need down the middle but it takes a few years.

I do feel like last year was their chance and the realistic window to win is shut for now. Does that mean they should blow it up? Not really, even if people don't like to see it that way, there's a lot more to this business than just winning the cup.
I definitely agree. I don't think I can name a team that has won the Cup without a high end center.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
This team has been in the mix for what seems like this entire century. They've been competitive every year since at least 2010 and probably way before that

What can Bruins fans expect? They have to hit their decline at some point, it's been an unbelievable run for the team. Their downturn is just around the corner

They have such a solid D core and goaltending, but only one elite offensive player and an aging Marchand. No sense in rebuilding, which leaves free agency and hoping to hit on some gems like Dallas has done. At worst I see them stuck in the doldrums as a perennial bubble team, but hard to see a true decline in which they become lottery contenders.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Boston is LITERALLY just marchand and pasta and SwayMark as a team. They are genuinely just a goalie heavy team that have been paying the piper each year. Seriously I never felt like BS is real but how in the WORLD did Mason Lohrei become good that fast?

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
They simply aren't a very good team, not sure what you would blow up?

I mean they're a good team tbf. But are they realistic Cup contenders? No and haven't been for quite a few years. They do very well in the reg szn bc there's definitely a winning culture there and they know how to pull out wins but when they're facing the truly elite teams in the conference they don't stack up.

Lack of a 1C, 2C and elite scoring options is really becoming evident. If anything based on their lineup they are HUGE overachievers.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
They are a solid team with a good system, and a good coach (despite Montgomery's whining)

They have a valuable trade chip in Ulmark. If they can flip him for some offensive help, they will be right back in the thick of the Atlantic division race next year.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
They are a solid team with a good system, and a good coach (despite Montgomery's whining)

They have a valuable trade chip in Ulmark. If they can flip him for some offensive help, they will be right back in the thick of the Atlantic division race next year.

He only wants to stay in the East, though, right?

Or was it not go cross country to LA?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't see a team that has 2 legit top pair dmen (McAvoy, Lindholm), a top 10 player in the league (Pasta), and a legit #1 goalie (Swayman) as a candidate for a rebuild. Add in that BOS had about $4M worth of cap penalty from last years Bergeron/Krejci bonus laden contracts, and they should be in better shape with regard to roster construction.

Sweeney will definitely have his hands full next year. IMO, you see what you get from Ulmark on the trade market, try to upgrade at C/W, and hope that Poitras can develop quickly.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I hope they stick it out and continue to toil as a bubble team never really getting any solid picks.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Blowing this team up would be an act of desperation/panic and a sign of mental weakness.

They should continue to retool exactly as they have to date. If Sweeney believes they need a more significant shake up, they could move a star player in a hockey trade a la Huberdeau/Tkachuk. I don't see that happening. Each of their star players are high quality. They just need more support. Pasta needs a 1C. McAvoy could use a legit 2LD partner while Lohrei grows his game. Everything else is fine-tuning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad