If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Some teams think you need to be horrible for 5-10 years to draft top 10 and hope you can rebuild from there.
Some teams don't.

Chicago is a good example of the former.
Boston is a good example of the latter.

Only one of em is in the second round and playing above their heads
That's how you become the Thornton/Marleau-led San Jose Sharks. One of the best teams in the regular seasons but always choke in the playoffs.

If your "core" players continually don't give you Cup winning caliber perfomances, you need to chuck them and start over.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, the core is what it is, but I wouldn't call it "young" considering they're all UFA age.

Don't understand why you brought the Blackhawks into discussion.. just seemed like a deflection.
They've been pretty horrible for the last 5-10 years with a bunch of top 10 picks to rebuild.

It's just a philosophy of the boom, rebuild and pray model that Boston hasn't had to resort to.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't think any of the guys I mentioned are UFAs
Pastrnak is on a UFA deal
Marchand is on a UFA deal
Coyle is on a UFA deal
Zacha is on a UFA deal
McAvoy is on a UFA deal
Lindholm is on a UFA deal
Carlo is on a UFA deal
Forbort is on a UFA deal
Ullmark is on a UFA deal
DeBrusk turns UFA this offseason

Frederic is on an RFA deal for one more year, then UFA
Geekie is on an RFA deal
Brazeau is on a cheap deal for one more year, then UFA
Wotherspoon is on a cheap deal for one more year, then UFA
Swayman is an Arb-Eligible RFA this offseason

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Pastrnak is on a UFA deal
Marchand is on a UFA deal
Coyle is on a UFA deal
Zacha is on a UFA deal
McAvoy is on a UFA deal
Lindholm is on a UFA deal
Carlo is on a UFA deal
Forbort is on a UFA deal
DeBrusk turns UFA this offseason

Frederic is on an RFA deal for one more year, then UFA
Geekie is on an RFA deal
Brazeau is on a cheap deal for one more year, then UFA
Wotherspoon is on a cheap deal for one more year, then UFA
Swayman is an Arb-Eligible RFA this offseason
Yuh

2 of those 14 guys were the ones I mentioned.

But sure, whatever point you were making about Boston's young core is super clever.

You'd be better off finding some prospect list that has Boston at the bottom of the league again.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yuh

2 of those 14 guys were the ones I mentioned.

But sure, whatever point you were making about Boston's young core is super clever.

You'd be better off finding some prospect list that has Boston at the bottom of the league again.
Look if you don't want to participate in the discussion, that is fine. I'm not sure why you are just throwing around insults instead of engaging substantively.

"Good young core" is a phrase that has meaning. Dissecting that down, to "good", "young" and "core" at least from my perspective reveals that the players Boston has do not fit that criteria. I would say they have a good prime-aged core, and some respectably solid "young-ish" depth pieces. If you disagree with that statement, please feel free to do so, but throwing out phrases that were never stated accomplishments nothing.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Look if you don't want to participate in the discussion, that is fine. I'm not sure why you are just throwing around insults instead of engaging substantively.

"Good young core" is a phrase that has meaning. Dissecting that down, to "good", "young" and "core" at least from my perspective reveals that the players Boston has do not fit that criteria. I would say they have a good prime-aged core, and some respectably solid "young-ish" depth pieces. If you disagree with that statement, please feel free to do so, but throwing out phrases that were never stated accomplishments nothing.
The point is they have a good core of young and younger players to build around that they don't need to "blow it up" for draft picks and a rebuild. You mentioned like 15 players who have nothing to do with that and started talking UFA contracts, which I'm sure has something to do with something, but it sure isn't about the Bruins having to blow anything up.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The point is they have a good core of young and younger players to build around that they don't need to "blow it up" for draft picks and a rebuild. You mentioned like 15 players who have nothing to do with that and started talking UFA contracts, which I'm sure has something to do with something, but it sure isn't about the Bruins having to blow anything up.
I listed the Bruins.. 15 most important players? Not sure I understand your objection to my post in relation to yours or what you feel I misrepresented. I can edit my post to note the Bruins 23 year old #6 Defenseman is on a cheap deal for one more year and then RFA, as I think that was the only player the post you had mentioned that I didn't include, if you prefer.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’d get a new coach, and listen to offers on everybody with the exception of Swayman. I wouldn’t say I’d be looking purposely to blow it up though

Reactions: Clode

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Their young guys aren't of the magnitude to build a winner.

Their management never respected the value of top end playmaking and it's bitten them in the ass over and over. Now, the "culture" isn't enough.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
last two game has been what everyone expected this series to be. They really just need a retool after taking a step back from last year due to Bergeron retirement and a lot of key players gone due to being cap strapped this season for it.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Blow it up how?. Really not much to blow up. Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman and a mix of young guys like Lauko, Brazeau and Lohrei aren't going anywhere. The team is more of a mix of the core and youth and a rag tag bunch of has-beens who had nowhere else to play. Maroon, Heinen, Shattenkirk, Heinen JVR, all see ya later. Bring in a real #1 C, retool around the core, trade Ullmark and we're good. No blowing it up necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad