If AZ made a 16m offer sheet for Matthews should the Leafs match it? Please read OP first.

If AZ made a offer sheet of 16m for Matthews for 7 years would the Leafs match it?

• Tor fans: Match it

• Tor fans: Don't match it, take the draft picks

• AZ fans: Go for matthews no matter the cost

• AZ fans: Dont make this offer sheet

• Non Leaf/AZ fans: match the offer sheet

• Non Leaf/AZ fans: take the drafth picks

Results are only viewable after voting.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
First of all I am not a Leaf fan so please don't attack them for another Matthews thread/poll.

Reason for this poll: Offer sheets almost never happen so why this poll? The fact that any team would be willing to give up 4 - 1st round draft picks for any great player is very low but AZ may be in a position that they find themselves in a situation to be willing to do so. AZ is still a franchise on the edge of moving to another city. They have had zero success (on ice and attendance) over the last few years and ownership may be willing to bring a franchise player that is home grown to their team to try to create some excitement/market to keep the team in AZ at all cost. Bringing AZ born Matthews back home maybe worth it to them to save their franchise and investment no matter what the future cost is. Also a 7 year/16m contract for Matthews would make it very hard on the leafs to match considering their cap situation and RFA's and UFA's they need to resign. This is the reason if AZ did this they would go max contract for Matthews to make it as hard as possible on the Leafs to match the offer.

While all Offer sheets can happen to any team's RFA's the unique situation between AZ and the Leafs is one occasion where it may be possible to happen. What do the Leafs do if this happens?

AZ: Brings a home grown talent back home that can be a top player in the NHL and improve their team to a PO's situation even if they are sacrificing their long term future to keep their team viable in the short term.

Tor: Matthews is a young franchise C that can take them to the SC in the next few years. He is one of those players you hold on to at all cost except that a 16m per year hit for Matthews would hurt their depth long term to stay under the cap and stay competitive long term. The difference between paying Matthews 11/12m per year and 16m per year is a very good bottom six centre/wing players or a top 4 D they could not sign if they match AZ offer sheet. Toronto would be in a situation of losing a franchise C or losing long term team depth to take them over the top and winning it all.

If this situation would happen what should the Leafs do?

Match it or go for the 4/1st round draft picks?

I broke up this poll to see what Leafs/AZ fans would want to do because this is their teams and it effects them no matter what road the Leafs/AZ management decides to go.

The second part of the poll is to see what the rest of the league fans think the Leafs/AZ should do when they have no stake in the out come other then benefiting if the Leafs were put in this situation.

My opinion: I hope this does not happen to the Leafs because they should not be penalised for drafting well. But if this situation would arise I think that they be better off to go for the draft picks. They have already proved they can win without Matthews and four consecutive #1 draft pick plus their own would give them the option to keep the pipeline of future good players going or trade one draft pick at the TD to help their team succeed in the PO's but keep at lease 1 first round pick to keep the cupboard full. In the long term they can keep their team good for a long time.

If AZ never makes an offer sheet then sign Matthews for 11/12m and enjoy his great play for the next 8 years or more.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
first off Arizona can't afford to pay Matthews 16 million a yearthis is team that was once owned by the NHL, they don't have money, cap space is great but they don't have money.

2nd even if they did why would Matthews leave Toronto with the team he has around to go to Arizona and have almost no supporting cast?

this idea of an offer sheet is a fantasy it won't happen Arizona doesn't have 112 million over 7 years to throw at Matthews

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
What would be the point of playing in AZ with a bottom feeder. No team can have success with a player making 16 mill. Matthews embraces the spotlight, there’s no bigger hockey spotlight than Toronto.

Matthews will not waste his prime on a bottom feeder team that cannot compete due to cap problems.

Reactions: Voight

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
What would be the point of playing in AZ with a bottom feeder. No team can have success with a player making 16 mill. Matthews embraces the spotlight, there’s no bigger hockey spotlight than Toronto.

Matthews will not waste his prime on a bottom feeder team that cannot compete due to cap problems.

I don't know, maybe making 16m a year would convince him?

As for AZ they are desperate to keep the team in AZ. They may think home grown Matthews can help them in the short term to have a player to market and create interest in the team so people would actually go to their home games.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
first off Arizona can't afford to pay Matthews 16 million a yearthis is team that was once owned by the NHL, they don't have money, cap space is great but they don't have money.

2nd even if they did why would Matthews leave Toronto with the team he has around to go to Arizona and have almost no supporting cast?

this idea of an offer sheet is a fantasy it won't happen Arizona doesn't have 112 million over 7 years to throw at Matthews

The NHL has done everything they could to keep the yotes in AZ. Do you think NHL management would care if Toronto is hurt to bolster AZ and keep them viable? Knowing full well that not matter the backlash from Toronto is they will still sell out and Leafs fans will still watch Leaf games on TV. Bettmen bet on AZ and he seems determined to keep them in the league. Toronto will stay profitable no matter what happens.

Reactions: Snowman

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I don't know, maybe making 16m a year would convince him?

As for AZ they are desperate to keep the team in AZ. They may think home grown Matthews can help them in the short term to have a player to market and create interest in the team so people would actually go to their home games.

Just quit while your behind. Money (which Arizona doesn’t have) is only part of the equation in pro sports. Winning and competitiveness is a huge part of it as well. The best players play to win. They will make tons of money either way.

Matthews endorsement money is massive too in Toronto. Don’t think Porsche would be calling him if he played in Arizona where no one knows what a hockey puck looks like.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Just quit while your behind. Money (which Arizona doesn’t have) is only part of the equation in pro sports. Winning and competitiveness is a huge part of it as well. The best players play to win. They will make tons of money either way.

Matthews endorsement money is massive too in Toronto. Don’t think Porsche would be calling him if he played in Arizona where no one knows what a hockey puck looks like.

You maybe right. This is not a attack on the leafs or Mathews. I just pointed out the situation where a max offer sheet is possible because of the situation in AZ and that Tor may not be able match because of cap reason.

Your a leaf fan. All I'm asking is if this situation happens what would you want the leafs to do?

Edit: I'm not hoping for this I just think that this unique situation is possible and am curious what you think the Leafs management should do if it occurs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The NHL has done everything they could to keep the yotes in AZ. Do you think NHL management would care if Toronto is hurt to bolster AZ and keep them viable? Knowing full well that not matter the backlash from Toronto is they will still sell out and Leafs fans will still watch Leaf games on TV. Bettmen bet on AZ and he seems determined to keep them in the league. Toronto will stay profitable no matter what happens.

I think when the league has to own you it's a bad sign it means you are broke

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Don't disagree but the league didn't seem to care if Atlanta (twice)or the Jets and Quebec city in 95 moved but they have gone the extra mile to keep the Yotes in AZ. Why? I don't know.

Who’s revenue keeps Arizona afloat? Toronto and a few other franchises. The last thing you do is bite the hand that feeds you.

Auston Matthews as a leaf brings in much more revenue then him being a coyote, and then some. It would be a disaster for all 3 parties, the leafs, Arizona, and the NHL in the long run.

It woulda also kill the league and teams because players could threaten their own teams if they don’t get an outrageous contract they will sign an offer sheet. The players would be taking the league as hostage, but we all know the owners have the final say so that would cause a lockout.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Who’s revenue keeps Arizona afloat? Toronto and a few other franchises. The last thing you do is bite the hand that feeds you.

Auston Matthews as a leaf brings in much more revenue then him being a coyote, and then some. It would be a disaster for all 3 parties, the leafs, Arizona, and the NHL in the long run.

It woulda also kill the league and teams because players could threaten their own teams if they don’t get an outrageous contract they will sign an offer sheet. The players would be taking the league as hostage, but we all know the owners have the final say so that would cause a lockout.

Fair enough. You don't think a offer sheet from AZ is possible because the Leafs are the NHL's cash cow and the league will never allow anything to happen to hurt them.

Did I get that right?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Doing something like this is a lose-lose proposition for Matthews.

If he goes to AZ, he ends up on a bottom feeding team with no money to build a true contender. At best, he can hope for a playoff team that may get lucky and go far once or twice.

If TO matches, Matthews effectively handcuffs TO's cap flexibility and hurts their ability to bring in better players to increase their chances of winning.

Players know that if they want their team to have a chance at seriously contending they'll have to leave some money on the table like McDavid did. So signing an offersheet like this instead of trying to work with TO to come to some sort of reasonable contract is like shooting himself in the groin... twice.

Reactions: Feliix

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
As a Leafs fan, I think the team would match but I personally would not. Matthews is phenomenal and clutch as hell, but I just think that is too much for any player who isn't the best player in the world. 4 1st round picks isn't ideal as a return, but certainly could pan out to make it worth it for the Leafs if the Coyotes still can't take the next step. With their self-imposed budget I'm sure the Coyotes would have to jettison other parts of the roster to fit that cap-hit, maybe the Leafs can just offersheet Keller right back.

Downgrade Matthews to Keller, but make a major swap of draft picks in the Leafs favour.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Leafs would match but two problems with this idea.

1. Arizona can not afford that offer sheet
2. Matthews would never sign it. Why would he want to play for a perennial loser when he could chase cups? I could see him doing a retirement lap year in Arizona when he’s 40 but not in his prime.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hm. Maybe guys could quit with all the talk of Mathews or McDavid leaving their teams.

Now here is why it's silly.

He wants to be a top star in the league. So if he's going to leave an O6 Franchise and the largest hockey market in the world he's probably looking at a US big market, NY kinda jump out. Not a bad team in the middle of nowhere.

Now let's talk Cups.

Is Arizona going to win a Cup with one guy taking 1/4 of the payroll on a non cap team with no 1st rounders?

Probably not.

Now here is my favorite. Hundreds of Ontario boys have not come home over the years. What are the odds their only local born star ever chooses that to play on a Franchise that could move?

Sorry dude. I'm more worried about the a Rangers and that concerns me about as much as an alien invasion does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad