Proposal: if anaheim is actually offering up a forward for a dman

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
I'd rather keep the defensemen we have unless a glaring weakness shows itself during the season. You know at least one d-man is getting hurt this season and they were dropping like flies early in the playoffs.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think it's too early for them to think about adding a forward. We have to see Soderberg, Smith and maybe even Caron play 10-20 games before they know whether they need to add or not.

its definitely too early to make a reactionary move... dont need to make any reactionary moves at all with this team. we will be a favorite to go to the cup final even as we stand right this minute.

of course we might end up in overtime game 7 of the first round 2 because that is how tight the nhl is these days. making moves to give the team a slight improvement that can make the difference when those game 7's roll around is never a bad idea and never come at a 'bad time.'

this isnt a case where we need to make a deal for the sake of making a deal but rather seems we might have opportunity to improve our team.

if you wanted to tell me that guys like smith/caron seem likely to be better players this year/next year/down the line then guys like etem and palmiotti {sp?} than obviously i would not be in favor of making this deal and id wait until someone was being shopped that suited our needs more.

i think caron seems like he will be able to become a servicable third line plugger in my opinion. smith... maybe more likely suited for a fourth line energy guy? Neither of them makes me filled with confidence that they have any chance at all replacing iginla next year if he happens to bolt... or stepping up in case of an injury come crucial playoff time.

i guess anaheim is still in need of a second line center too... i saw some others here suggest to throw spooner into this deal and try to get back an even better duck forward.

i guess i might be willing to discuss that idea with the ducks... i love what i saw from spooner and for that matter bartowski has wowed me too... but if the return is great enough then anyone can be dealt.

i want another cup win this year... and if spooner is stuck in the ahl and if bartowski is the 7th dman then they dont help us as much this year as an elite level 3rd line winger would.

it might seem odd for anaheim to be willing to deal silverberg so soon after acquirering him but they are very deep with young wingers capable of competing for second line duty. they will be able to afford to deal one of them for the young dman they want. hopefully we at least give them a call and see how bad they might want our guy?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'd rather keep the defensemen we have unless a glaring weakness shows itself during the season. You know at least one d-man is getting hurt this season and they were dropping like flies early in the playoffs.

id probably be in favor of signing a guy like redden as insurance if we did deal bartowski... and id probably make a secondary move at the deadline to get someone else that is much better than redden for the playoff push

during the regular season a team can usually get buy with just 5 dmen playing most of the mins each game. kids like miller/trottman could easily fill the 6 spot for a few games here or there to get their feet wet at the pro level... and theres always someone on waivers popping up if the injuries hit real hard.

regular season is pretty much going to solve itself for us this year... we will make the playoffs no matter how badly injuries hit. but once in the playoffs weve seen over the past 4-5 years how most of our series do go 7 games and the tiniest little advantage in a matchup can be the differce maker for us.

weve won the series where our fourth line has outplayed their fourthline... our third line has stepped up... most other teams have a first/second line that can hang with our first/second line but the reason weve had so much success is our depth.

imho an active third line upgrade gives us more advantage than a strong 7th dman

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to going OT, but how did this go from discussing a deal for an ANA F for a B's D to a debate over Kane (not on ANA) and Marchand (not a D)??

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
That would be my fault

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to going OT, but how did this go from discussing a deal for an ANA F for a B's D to a debate over Kane (not on ANA) and Marchand (not a D)??

Just trying to broaden the discussion by expressing my take, if we make a deal, why not go big. If that's frowned upon within a discussion board forum, then my bad.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just trying to broaden the discussion by expressing my take, if we make a deal, why not go big. If that's frowned upon within a discussion board forum, then my bad.

Have you ever proposed a deal that wasn't "big"? :laugh:

I don't have a huge problem with it, but if you want to discuss a deal for Marchand and Kane, why not start a separate thread for it, so people know what to expect, instead of starting in a thread about dealing one of the B's "extra" D for one of ANA's young F's??

Just seems a little misleading?

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I stand pat right now.

This sounds like making a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

I like our depth everywhere right now. I don't make a move unless it significantly improves our lineup, and I don't see that happening with Anaheim. We'd have to give up too much.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
i suppose it comes down for me... what is the team need?

supposing that boychuck does stick around... we have him/chara/seidenberg as 3 established minute munchers... i would catagorize all three as 'physical' dmen. Chara has some offensive tools but we know he isnt an elite puck rushing/distributor quarterback type guy...

hamilton seems the most guaranteed of the kids to become a top 4 guy and hopefully even a number 1 type guy but until he bulks up we arent sure when he will actually start taking over games.

mcQuaid is still around for now and if he continues to be a top 6 dman for us then we have filled 5 of the 6 spots without having a truely above average puck mover/qb type among them.

Bartowski might be the better candidate over Krug to be able to play top 3/4 pairing 18-20 mins per night hockey right now but i dont see Bartowski having upside to ever be more than just a dependable 3/4 guy. I do think dependable 3/4 guys are valuable... if we didnt just sign Seidenberg then there is no way id favor the idea of shopping Bartowski... this isnt a case of saying we need to get rid of someone because they are crappy or over paid. We just are very very lucky we got 3 kids breaking into the lineup that have this much value and also have such good vets like chara/seidenberg and boychuck locked up for the next couple/few years

krug might never become more than a 5/6 dman but he has a unique skill set that is going to be more valuable to us than bartowski's skill set will be

Bruins have spent more than a decade, and in particular the entire Chia era desperately trying to find a player who can bring some of what Krug brings to the table. I don't believe for a second they would consider moving him barring some just plain absurd offer being made.

Bart might be a better all around player, but despite the hot preseason he is nowhere close to the powerplay weapon that krug is

While I agree that Krug has better upside on the offensive end right now, I think Bart deserved a closer look on that side as well. Its a good problem to have and obviously you guys are closer to right at this moment as Bart was almost a Flame at last years deadline.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While I agree that Krug has better upside on the offensive end right now, I think Bart deserved a closer look on that side as well. Its a good problem to have and obviously you guys are closer to right at this moment as Bart was almost a Flame at last years deadline.

Bart is 25 years old, I think he has a pretty long record at this point to show what he is offensively. I think you are looking at a guy who if he played 80 games might get you 30-35 points, but he just doesn't have that special level of offense.

I type this as Krug does it again

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
No need to make any deal at this point of the season. We will need all 7 defenceman this year and we are stacked with prospects. Providence will be just as fun to follow this year as the Bruins will be. There is no need for another prospect to sit in Providence when Bart will play a big part in the Bruins team this year.

Looking at it long term.. Mcquaid is the odd man out.

Last edited:

QuackCity93

Sep 30, 2013
Would you guys be interested in dealing boychuck to Anaheim. If so what would it take to get him

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Would you guys be interested in dealing boychuck to Anaheim. If so what would it take to get him

I would have to say no.

If they were to consider it, you would find the price extremely painful (think something like Silverberg and a #1). Funny thing is I write that, and still not sure I would even do it from Boston, as it hurts the Bruins this year and not sure it is enough future to make it worthwhile

Last edited:

BudMovin*

Doubt it. Front office is pretty set with the team at the moment. Would have to be a significant overpay in order for us to break up the team chemistry.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Personally I don't touch that.

If the Bruins trade Bart, then I think it is a pretty big drop to the next guy as the #7 defenseman, and I believe they will need 7 defensemen.

To make that goal I need to be pretty sure that Silverberg is going to be a 25 goal 30 assist guy down the road, who also plays both ends effectively

You wouldn't touch THAT? You must be an Anaheim fan... The moment Silfverberg proves he is a 25g 30a guy (which will happen as soon as this season) you don't get him for this package, not even close.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
its definitely too early to make a reactionary move... dont need to make any reactionary moves at all with this team. we will be a favorite to go to the cup final even as we stand right this minute.

of course we might end up in overtime game 7 of the first round 2 because that is how tight the nhl is these days. making moves to give the team a slight improvement that can make the difference when those game 7's roll around is never a bad idea and never come at a 'bad time.'

this isnt a case where we need to make a deal for the sake of making a deal but rather seems we might have opportunity to improve our team.

if you wanted to tell me that guys like smith/caron seem likely to be better players this year/next year/down the line then guys like etem and palmiotti {sp?} than obviously i would not be in favor of making this deal and id wait until someone was being shopped that suited our needs more.

i think caron seems like he will be able to become a servicable third line plugger in my opinion. smith... maybe more likely suited for a fourth line energy guy? Neither of them makes me filled with confidence that they have any chance at all replacing iginla next year if he happens to bolt... or stepping up in case of an injury come crucial playoff time.

i guess anaheim is still in need of a second line center too... i saw some others here suggest to throw spooner into this deal and try to get back an even better duck forward.

i guess i might be willing to discuss that idea with the ducks... i love what i saw from spooner and for that matter bartowski has wowed me too... but if the return is great enough then anyone can be dealt.

i want another cup win this year... and if spooner is stuck in the ahl and if bartowski is the 7th dman then they dont help us as much this year as an elite level 3rd line winger would.

it might seem odd for anaheim to be willing to deal silverberg so soon after acquirering him but they are very deep with young wingers capable of competing for second line duty. they will be able to afford to deal one of them for the young dman they want. hopefully we at least give them a call and see how bad they might want our guy?

I would prefer we maintain our defensive depth. This forward group is pretty stacked.

Pint O Guinness

Apr 6, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Brad MARCHAND (4.5), Jordan CARON(640 k), Matt BARTKOWSKI (650 k) and a 2nd ronder for Evander KANE (5.25), Zach REDMOND (715 k-NHL/65 k AHL) and a fourth round pick, REDMOND to Providence.

KANE-BERGERON-ERIKSSON
LUCIC-KREJCI-IGINLA
SODERBERG-KELLY-SMITH
PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON
JOHNSON

CHARA-BOYCHUK
SEIDENBERG-HAMILTON
KRUG-MCQUAID
MILLER

RASK
JOHNSON

This would be a horrible move

Marchand is going nowhere, and are in no need a trade at all we have great depth and may only add a piece or two at the deadline but won't give up anybody unless Caron lands us an upgrade but will only happen at deadline if at all

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Is anyone else not that impressed with Bartkowski's defensive game? I need to watch him more, no doubt. But either way, I feel Krug and Bart aren't any type of answer. Good for now, fills out our D quite nice. But I don't think, unless they emerge and prove me wrong, that they make Boychuk expendable considering the last couple yrs he has had.

nycbruins*

Bart is a beast waiting to break out, IMO. After being all but traded & signing an extension under the belief he'd be getting tons of ice time with the flames, I have to think he's hoping to reach free agency & move on (which he can if he doesn't play at least 53 games this season.) I'd wait until later in the season, if possible, but he could be moved. I wouldn't take bonino or holland, though. I'd want palmieri, a natural righty rw with a great cap hit for 2 seasons after this one.
But for the moment, Caron & smith look good, Bart is the best 7th d in the league & injuries will happen

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Not sure there's a fit. Already a log jam at forward, so it would have to be either a tangible upgrade at a low cap hit, or for picks/prospects or at least a young player that still has waiver exemption.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Bart is a beast waiting to break out, IMO. After being all but traded & signing an extension under the belief he'd be getting tons of ice time with the flames, I have to think he's hoping to reach free agency & move on (which he can if he doesn't play at least 53 games this season.) I'd wait until later in the season, if possible, but he could be moved. I wouldn't take bonino or holland, though. I'd want palmieri, a natural righty rw with a great cap hit for 2 seasons after this one.
But for the moment, Caron & smith look good, Bart is the best 7th d in the league & injuries will happen

trading or letting Bart walk would be such a waste. I think his all-around game might be better than Krug's. to be honest I think he should probably be playing over McQuaid right now.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Is anyone else not that impressed with Bartkowski's defensive game? I need to watch him more, no doubt. But either way, I feel Krug and Bart aren't any type of answer. Good for now, fills out our D quite nice. But I don't think, unless they emerge and prove me wrong, that they make Boychuk expendable considering the last couple yrs he has had.

I believe Krug and Bartkowski are the real deal, based on their skill sets.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
2-0...Team looks sharp thus far...young kids contributing on the blueline..Rask bringing his 'A' game...3rd line is a threat again...prospect cupboard finally stocked with young talent.... yet here we are discussing a trade already! Only in Boston ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad