If a goalie is pulled can he go back in while play is still on?

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
we had a situation in our league game - we were down by two goals with approx 5 minutes left. The other team got back-to-back penalties putting us in a 5 on 3 situation. We pulled the goalie creating a 6-3 power play. Of course we didn't score then one penality expired then the next so we were in a 6-5 situation but couldn't get a whisle.

Could we put the goalie back in while play was running assuming that the extra skater came off?

:dunno:

Thanks

TomWaits

PS - we lost the game 5-1 LOL

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
we had a situation in our league game - we were down by two goals with approx 5 minutes left. The other team got back-to-back penalties putting us in a 5 on 3 situation. We pulled the goalie creating a 6-3 power play. Of course we didn't score then one penality expired then the next so we were in a 6-5 situation but couldn't get a whisle.

Could we put the goalie back in while play was running assuming that the extra skater came off?

Thanks

TomWaits

As I understand the rules, each team is allowed 6 players on the ice including the goalie (unless one is in the penalty box). The goalie can come off the ice to be replaced by another skater. When the goalie goes back on the ice the extra skater comes off. I don't know of anything that would prevent this from happening.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Thanks

TomWaits

Like a change on the fly, except the goalie comes back out?

I've always assumed that this was illegal, but I would be curious to know the actual ruling.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
It is allowed. I remember how once JS Aubin in PIT was scrambling back into net to not get a EN goal scored on by LeClair but he failed. So I think it is legal.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Yes, it would be a change on the fly but many refs will not give the leeway on distances. The player coming off had better be right there at the bench or risk a bench minor for TMM.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yes, it would be a change on the fly but many refs will not give the leeway on distances. The player coming off had better be right there at the bench or risk a bench minor for TMM.

They won't call a TMM on the ice penalty but they will call an illegal substitution(called a "premature substitution") if the goalie/player leaves before the player/goalie gets to the bench. That would be a face off at center ice when the team who committed the illegal substitution gains possession of the puck.

That is USA Hockey Rules and NCAA rules. I assume most leagues use this as well.

NHL though would call TMM since they don't have illegal substitution rule and its just a Too many men penalty.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

They won't call a TMM on the ice penalty but they will call an illegal substitution(called a "premature substitution") if the goalie/player leaves before the player/goalie gets to the bench. That would be a face off at center ice when the team who committed the illegal substitution gains possession of the puck.

That is USA Hockey Rules and NCAA rules. I assume most leagues use this as well.

NHL though would call TMM since they don't have illegal substitution rule and its just a Too many men penalty.

You guys just blew my mind... I had always assumed it was illegal - could be a good way to win a beer in the bar.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
What happens if your goalie doesn't show up to a game, you play with 6 skaters and it's a tie game that goes to a shootout?

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
i know in our roller hockey league that it is illegal and the refs make you wait for a whistle...it happened a few times when one of the goalies didnt show up on time, and usually the team the that has their goalie will put the puck out of play to get the stoppage...no one wants to play against an open net in a beer league

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Same thing under Hockey Canada rules. Goalie can change on the fly,not only with a player...but the substitute keeper as well!
I remember playing Midget Hockey we were blowing a team out and they got th epuck into our zone and while we were watching things in our own end of the rink a big cheer went up...we couldn't figure out what the heck happened and then on the next stoppage it dawned on us...they changed their goalies on the fly.
Good for a laugh....

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
When Scotty Bowman was coaching the Pens, one game he decided to change his goalies Warren Young and Ken Wregget every five minutes. It was a meaningless game, the Penguins were secure in the playoffs and couldn't gain or drop any place in the standings, and he'd heard a team did the same thing in their final regular season game years before and went onto win the Cup.

Warren Young decided to take it one step further by changing with Wregget on the fly (without telling Scotty Bowman). He told his teammates if they threw in some money, he'd do it. When they didn't believe him, he upped the ante by saying as he skated on and Wregget skated off, as they crossed they'd give each other a high five, a low five, then Young would moonwalk back into the crease.

During one change, Wregget caught his pad on the edge of the boards and went *** over head.

The Penguins got drilled 7-1.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
What happens if your goalie doesn't show up to a game, you play with 6 skaters and it's a tie game that goes to a shootout?

Good luck in ever getting a tie in regulation with out a netminder but if it were to happen I would imagine you could choose any one from the roster to fill the net for the shoot out. In USA, I believe there would be a disqualification due to insufficient/unsafe equipment. Might be a league by league thing? A player not wearing a Chest protector may not defend a penalty shot or shoot out situation.

My youngest played all but about 4 minutes of one game filling net but had suited up as a Defenseman. House league where he faced a team that had the core 5 kids from his travel team in Olean, NY. With just a glove, blocker and stick he fended off 27 shots to win the game 2-1. The lone goal they scored was on the original goalie who was injured in the play. Squirt minor so at least the shot speeds were low.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
In USA, I believe there would be a disqualification due to insufficient/unsafe equipment. Might be a league by league thing? A player not wearing a Chest protector may not defend a penalty shot or shoot out situation.

Believe it or not, USAH doesn't have any requirements for goalie protective equipment except for a helmet, no requirements for anything else. The helment doesn't even have to be a goalie helmet. As for bringing a player off the bench for a shootout, he could not wear any goalie equipment and would not be able to catch and hold any shots or cover any pucks in the crease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad