Blue Jays Discussion: If a Blue Jay falls in a Tavares/Kawhi forest and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Re: Osuna. IMHO, its not unreasonable to give someone like him a chance to redeem/better themselves after this kind of situation if it is not a part of a pattern that informs who he is, so it behooves the Jays to investigate and come to a conclusion based on taht. If it is reflective of a pattern of behavior that describes Osuna as the person he fundamentally is, then the team needs to take all reasonable actions to part ways with him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a Roberto Osuna fan boy. I see Hall of Fame closer potential in him.

However, if management trades Osuna, it's not about the return.

And frankly, everyone should be okay with that.

well, if you can't sell winning, i guess you gotta sell something, and wholesome it is.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

All of this stuff will be forgotten by spring training. I'd hate to give up an ace closer with 3 years of control for peanuts.

Reactions: Jozay

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Cubs are among the slew of teams continuing to monitor the market for bullpen upgrades, and they’ve “closely” scouted Blue Jays right-hander Ryan Tepera and Padres righty Kirby Yates, per Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago/670 The Score. Both relievers figure to come with a relatively high cost of acquisition, as Yates is controlled through the 2020 season, while Tepera is controlled all the way through 2021. Each is in the midst of a fine season, though Yates has been among the NL’s best relievers thanks largely to a newly adopted splitter that has been a wipeout offering in 2018. Tepera is sitting on a 3.71 ERA with nearly 10 strikeouts per nine innings pitched in a tough AL East (and a tough home park, Toronto’s Rogers Centre). Both players are plenty affordable, with Tepera not yet eligible for arbitration until this offseason and Yates earning just $1.0625MM in his first trip through the arb process last winter.

Also on the Cubs front, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets that while it should be considered a “long shot,” the Cubs can’t be ruled out as a candidate to add a controllable starting pitcher. Doing so would likely mean building a package around young infielder/outfielder Ian Happ, controlled through the 2023 season, or a similarly enticing young hitter. Happ, 24 in two weeks, has displayed plenty of promise this year with a .253/.375/.445 slash, but while he walks at an impressive 16.1 percent clip, he’s also punched out in more than 35 percent of his plate appearances.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Lmao what??? I watch sports to watch my favourite team win championships, not the hearts of “social justice warriors” who don’t watch the sport. If Osuna gets traded I will understand it but I won’t be okay with it unl we we get some great assets for him. He’s a damn good ball player

Reactions: Kurtz and Brown Dog

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I haven't been following closely; but it seems they have a plethora of options and competiton in the infield and for DH but they have essentially nothing in the outfield. If they go out and get pollock and Harper type of talent for the outfield maybe this team could be elite in the future.

1. Pollock
2. Harper
3. Guerrero jr
4. Donaldson
5. Smoak
6. Gurriel Jr.

7. Drury
8. Martin
9. Hernandez

With Bichette and Alford knocking on the door. If they go out and get scrubs to fill the outfield it would be hard for me to be optimistic:

1. Gurriel Jr.
2. Donaldson
3. Guerrero Jr.
4. Smoak
5. Hernandez
6. Drury
7. Scrub outfielder
8. Scrub outfielder
9. Martin

Is this a fair analysis?

I wouldn't bring back Donaldson if we got Harper, one or the other for me.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we are never, ever, ever bidding for Harper.

or anyone else significant, for that matter.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Would be fitting if they get suspended pitcher Whitley back but i assume its a very low return though Houston is desperate for pen arms

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Isn't Giles a headcase himself? Not like a criminal but he's hardly the type of guy they'd be looking at if they are looking for "quality" personalities.

I would hope they'd take a few top prospects from them at least. This guy is still a top pitcher, regardless of his personal history.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad