If 2022-23 best on best Canada and USA played 10 times, what would be the result?

If the best-on-best Canadian and USA teams played 10 times, what would be the result?

• 10 Canadian victories, 0 American victories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 Canadian victories, 1 American victory

• 8 Canadian victories, 2 American victories

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • 7 Canadian victories, 3 American victories

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • 6 Canadian victories, 4 American victories

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • 5 Canadian victories, 5 American victories

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • 4 Canadian victories, 6 American victories

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • 3 Canadian victories, 7 American victories

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2 Canadian victories, 8 American victories

• 1 Canadian victory, 9 American victories

• 0 Canadian victories, 10 American victories

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Say the two countries organized a sort of "summit series", they can each select rosters of any players that they want who are eligible to play for them under IIHF criteria, all in their current form. The games would take 5 games in Canada, 5 games in the United States. Each team really wants to win and win as often as possible.

To the extent helpful:

American NHL Players ‑ 2022-2023 Stats

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Canadian here voted 3 Canadian victories. Team USA has the better defence. They have the better goaltending. And I prefer the better goal scoring game breaking USA forwards over the past prime cerebral players like Crosby, stone, Bergeron and Marchand (still very good )

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I predict Canada would win 6 games and the USA would win 4 games.

The top-level Canadian forwards and their overall forward depth would be the difference.

Although I do feel that Canada's goaltending is a possible danger of losing them the series.

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
No way Canada wins more than 7 and it’s even highly debatable if they win more than the USA. People underestimate how bad the Canadian goaltending is, how good the US defense is and how close it’s in forwards.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I voted 5-5. I think it’s really close. Canada has better elite talent at forward and the best defenceman, but USA overall has better defence and goaltending.

Reactions: Kreator

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I predict Canada would win 6 games and the USA would win 4 games.

The top-level Canadian forwards and their overall forward depth would be the difference.

Although I do feel that Canada's goaltending is a possible danger of losing them the series.
I thought about this but took 7-3 Crosby has great chemistry with Bergeron and Marchand for a second line and the top line is McDavid and whomever.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I still don’t see why USAs defense is any better really. Makar and Fox are at best a wash, and while McAvoy and Slavin are better than, say Pietrangelo and Pelech, it’s not a massive difference, and Canada is likely better 4-6. I’d rather some combo of Theodore, Chabot, Doughty, Toews, Rielly, Ekblad, Letang, Hamilton, etc than Werenski, Carlson, Jones, Hughes, Pesce, McDonagh, Faulk, Hanifin, etc.

Forwards are interesting, as Canada has fewer guys right in their primes right now after some weaker drafts, and USA might have more game breakers at this point with the emergence of Thompson and Hughes. Canada probably has the better possession/defensive forwards though.

Goaltending obviously goes to USA right now, though it’s always unpredictable in a small series. I don’t think Hellebuyck or Oettinger are so good they can’t be outplayed by a Jarry or Hart or whoever over 10 games.

I think it’s close enough right now that it could go either way, and probably not more than 6, maybe 7 wins for either. I think Canada’s experience and McDavid probably has them win out 6-4, but who knows.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I thought about this but took 7-3 Crosby has great chemistry with Bergeron and Marchand for a second line and the top line is McDavid and whomever.

The one thing that kind of hurts Canada from past teams is the lack of matchup winner centres other than Bergeron. Couturier is hurt and ROR isn’t on his game. Usually Canada can dominate teams with possession but they might not be able to do it as well as in the past, and USA has a lot more firepower than they have in the past if things got into a track meet

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The one thing that kind of hurts Canada from past teams is the lack of matchup winner centres other than Bergeron. Couturier is hurt and ROR isn’t on his game. Usually Canada can dominate teams with possession but they might not be able to do it as well as in the past, and USA has a lot more firepower than they have in the past if things got into a track meet
Fair point but I do think that Canada could afford to have a depth forward for face-offs like Horvat or Giroux (ROR or even Towes although I think he is done in best on bests) and having Bergeron and Crosby on the same line helps if one is thrown out.

The States would have Hughes who is horrible in the dot right now and I think Canada would be a 55/45 on the dot in a series.

Also having McDavid and Makar really helps overall.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Why 10? Why not the more familiar 7 game series?
To which, I think Canada would be likelier to take it but it has a high chance of going to game 7 if not at least game 6. Very close match.

If there is no NA ice advantage Canada would also struggle against Sweden and even Finland IMO in a 7 game series if there are no injuries. Another 6 or 7 game series.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why 10? Why not the more familiar 7 game series?
To which, I think Canada would be likelier to take it but it has a high chance of going to game 7 if not at least game 6. Very close match.

If there is no NA ice advantage Canada would also struggle against Sweden and even Finland IMO in a 7 game series if there are no injuries. Another 6 or 7 game series.
To get a more fair representative sample

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think the US is more solid top to bottom but Canada has the difference maker in McDavid. Not to mention Crosby as a third line center. Voted 5 - 5

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think USA is now finally better.

Canada has the best player. No argument there.

But I think we’ve now seen a shift where USA has pretty equal players. Maybe Canada has slightly more depth, but your 10th best center is irrelevant because that player isn’t making the team.

USA matches up a lot better. No weak points. Canada’s goaltending is very unproven. Canadian players might on average be slightly better paid or have slightly higher NHL 23 ratings, but I think the US team is better.

All hypothetical though and on paper. Not a big difference, whether you think the USA or Canada are better.

This is an idea of what the lineups would look like.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This is something I would care about a billiontytrillion more percent than NHLers participating in the Olympics. This is the match to see. And a series is way better than a round robin game or a may never materialize medal round game.

Reactions: 95snipes

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Our Tristan Jarry might be Canada's goalie? He's not even proven in the playoffs yet let alone ready for a best on best tournament. Kinda shocked at the state of Canadian goaltending.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
USA wins the first 4 then Canada grants citizenship to Shesterkin, Sorokin and Kochetkov and wins the next 6.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

But I think we’ve now seen a shift where USA has pretty equal players. Maybe Canada has slightly more depth, but your 10th best center is irrelevant because that player isn’t making the team.

USA matches up a lot better. No weak points. Canada’s goaltending is very unproven. Canadian players might on average be slightly better paid or have slightly higher NHL 23 ratings, but I think the US team is better.

All hypothetical though and on paper. Not a big difference, whether you think the USA or Canada are better.

I would put MacKinnon with McDavid, have the Bergeron/Crosby/Marchand line together and put Stamkos on a line with Point. I would give that Canada team a slight edge over USA if I had to bet on it. It would possibly be the greatest matchup of all time though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I initially voted 5-5 but after looking through the rosters I switched to 6-4 USA.

With Jason Robertson and Tage Thomson busting out it suddenly looks even at forward. D is still even. G is a big advantage for USA.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont know how people look at those lineups and think the USA is better, close sure, but better? No way. Call the top lines a wash (Canadas is clearly better to me but we'll just call it a wash), Crosby Marchand and Mackinnon absolutely cave in the USAs second line. And honestly, they might just match Crosby's line up with Matthews line and let McDavid eat the USA's second line alive. Crosby can at least come out even in that matchup too. Have Makar on the ice half the game and Kuemper is a very solid goalie

Canada still clearly has the edge

• Haha
Reactions: Postulates

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
It has definitely gotten closer over the years but I think its still Canada. I give the edge to Canada both on top-end forwards as well as forward depth. Likewise with the D but to a lesser degree. US goalies are far superior but I don't think its enough to make up the gap, so I went 6-4 Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad