OT: Idea's for increasing our dismal STH numbers

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Was just in Ottawa for a 4 day visit last week, walking around the downtown area the only reference to the Sens I saw was a flag hanging outside the Senate Tavern. I couldn't even find a place to buy Sens apparel downtown. My wife and I were both confused by the lack of anything Sens downtown. Should be a giant Sens store located right by the canal/market area.

This is it right here. :shakehead If a visitor can't tell we have a sports team, then why do we have one?

Where were you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

vogels13

Sep 12, 2010
This is it right here. :shakehead If a visitor can't tell we have a sports team, then why do we have one?

Where were you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

I was visiting from Halifax. I am a Sens fan, so we obviously know there is a team there, but it should be more apparent to an outsider. It's not like it would even cost much to hang up some banners/flags in the downtown area.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
The problem lies in the nature of the economy of the city.

Ottawa is essentially a government town, there's little to no private business of any size. People who make 50-75k a year can't afford to pay for higher price tickets after paying (Canada's inflated) housing costs, cars, kids etc.

The team and the city took a huge hit when Silicon Valley North went belly up.

You can market the heck out of the team etc. There's just not enough money in Ottawa to generate top end revenues. People would buy seasons tickets if they could afford them - it's not like attendance is bad. Unfortunately, most people can afford a handful of games a year and not the full load of season tickets.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Went to capital tickets to see how much a season ticket was. Err, not for sale there. Had to google, ended up at the official site. Links all busted, and not really showing the correct information.

Finally found this, http://senators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=Tic_seatingdiagram

So, lets see, 300s lower bowl
full season $2608.11 ($59.27/game)
half season $1304.05 ($59.27/game)

Technically the half season is cheaper per game, as they rounded the 11 down to 5 when dividing by two. However shouldn't there be an incentive to buy the full season? guaranteed income money up front that they can invest etc.

It's a lot of money for a couple, or family of four to invest. As well as a time investment going to all the games. Especially when you can get individual game tickets at reasonable prices.

For contrast, for $60 a game I can sit in the lower bowl sideline ($30 for an end) at a Panthers game, I think that includes free parking. For $7 I can sit in the nosebleeds. SEVEN BUCKS. ($31 @ CTC)

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=90978

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Of course it's $60/$30/$7 at the Panthers game, no one would buy the tickets otherwise. Heck, you can get season tickets to some of the southern teams for about as much as 2 lower bowl tickets to a Leafs or Habs game. It's all about supply and demand.

The big issue for Ottawa is the arena location. Unless you live in Kanata or Nepean, it's just a big headache to go to and from the games. If the arena was closer to downtown (where the war museum is) you'd see a significantly higher season ticket base and better access using mass transit.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The location is the big reason why the team doesn't do better. That's out of Melnyk's hands. Some other thoughts.

Fix the parking situation.
They need:
a) two main underpasses/raised walkways to get the pedestrians off the roads. Put up fences with ads to force people off the roads. Just like moving cattle. Such a no-brainer compared to the army of cops they put out there now.
b) To force some of the lots to exit via westbound Palladium and Huntmar drive. They might need to buy the lot directly south of the Southern parking lots to get access to Huntmar. Again, a small expense to greatly improve the user experience.

An awesome bar.
They should have the equivalent of Real Sports at CTC. Get the city to pony up a few buses that go to the place late after game nights and other nights. Charge regular prices for beers at the place, even if it makes it cheaper than the rest of CTC. Open it up on non-game nights. The bar wouldn't make a tonne of money on these nights, but since the space would be empty otherwise, they just need to cover their operating costs for that night.

Local bands
Get some groups playing short sets when people are entering and leaving. They did some of this over the past couple years, and it always went over well. Makes the whole event feel like a big party.

Raise Prices Slowly, and Improve the Marketing Dramatically (especially of players)

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Very good ideas above!

The location is a big pain for people, plus parking sucks. (Having some form of transportation would help)

For me it's not a big deal because I don't live close to Ottawa and it's cheaper for me to go to Ottawa for the night than buy tickets in Toronto (plus it's just as much a pain to get home from Toronto after a game).

Marketing needs to be done and the city needs to support the team more. With great marketing you can sell more expensive tickets.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
We've been averaging basically 100% attendance for the last 7 years... I dont understand the big concerns. Yes, our STH numbers need to go up but as far as I can tell, 85%+ of the 150 suites are sold, and from what I remember Ottawa is like 3rd or 4th in the league in # of suites... and we're getting 99% capacity.

So who's leasing out the suites if its not the private sector? Seems fine to me.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa's always been a walk-up city, dating back to when the 67's were just getting started. They never had a tremendous STH base but still regularly sold out. The Sens are no different.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The dirty non-secret is that the team hands out unsold tickets for free left and right. They sell out, but many of the tickets were never actually sold.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I know they give them out as perks for season ticket holders and people who have bought ticket packages, etc..

Ah. Typical. I actually have to buy something before getting anything for free. So at any given game against, say, the Florida Panthers what percentage of tickets would you say are comped? General idea? Estimate?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Where can I find these free tickets?

Team1200 gives away a ton, but you'd need to come into Ottawa to pick them up, generally before 6 p.m. the next day after you won them. Just tune in, send them an email that makes them laugh or whatever. They were giving away season ticket packages on the radio earlier this month as well.

Ah. Typical. I actually have to buy something before getting anything for free. So at any given game against, say, the Florida Panthers what percentage of tickets would you say are comped? General idea? Estimate?

Don't know about the Panthers but I was tuned in to one of the TSN stations and they had a former Islanders on and he said he could have got a ton of free tickets for his family at the time (this was a few years ago).
Generally people give away or sell their tickets on the cheap for games vs. Panthers, Islanders, whatever. Check Kijiji, StubHub or even the board here and get in touch with people, you might get lucky!

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Team1200 gives away a ton, but you'd need to come into Ottawa to pick them up, generally before 6 p.m. the next day after you won them. Just tune in, send them an email that makes them laugh or whatever. They were giving away season ticket packages on the radio earlier this month as well.

Neato. I'll keep that in mind. Broke ass student like myself always in need of an opportunity. :)

That aside, I'm just trying to figure a number, get a general idea, on how many tix are actually free and if that has a significant bearing on skewing the attendance figures. Radio giveaways, I don't imagine, make a tremendous impact. Probably no way to know.

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa
I know one thing they could do - get back to the people who are actually trying to buy tickets. I sent them a message about half-season tickets at least five days ago, and still haven't heard back from them.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I know one thing they could do - get back to the people who are actually trying to buy tickets. I sent them a message about half-season tickets at least five days ago, and still haven't heard back from them.

Honestly I'd call. It's the best way they'll talk to you get your info email you call you.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

They've always been very prompt in replying to any email I've sent them. Maybe check your junk folders?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The problem lies in the nature of the economy of the city.

Ottawa is essentially a government town, there's little to no private business of any size. People who make 50-75k a year can't afford to pay for higher price tickets after paying (Canada's inflated) housing costs, cars, kids etc.

The team and the city took a huge hit when Silicon Valley North went belly up.

You can market the heck out of the team etc. There's just not enough money in Ottawa to generate top end revenues. People would buy seasons tickets if they could afford them - it's not like attendance is bad. Unfortunately, most people can afford a handful of games a year and not the full load of season tickets.

While I agree with you on the private sector, you are mistaken on a few fronts. Our housing market is under believe it or not, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary Toronto are all much more expensive. Despite Ottawa having the second highest duel family income.

The biggest problem is definitely the corporate sector we don't have the money to push the expensive season tickets unfortunately. However this team still does very well especially where the rink is.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Was just in Ottawa for a 4 day visit last week, walking around the downtown area the only reference to the Sens I saw was a flag hanging outside the Senate Tavern. I couldn't even find a place to buy Sens apparel downtown. My wife and I were both confused by the lack of anything Sens downtown. Should be a giant Sens store located right by the canal/market area.

Living a little bit West of downtown, this post really hits home. Yesterday afternoon was a pretty damn perfect one by September standards and I spent most of it on the streets of Westboro, Hintonburg, China Town, Centretown and then Elgin St. and I saw ZERO Sens marketing propaganda or info - AND TRAINING CAMP IS RAMPING UP!?!? How the **** do you explain this? As others have said in this thread, the Sens really dont have much of a presence within the core of this city. Not only is the core where tourists and visitors spend most of their time, but it's where people go out for dinner, drinks and good times. Also, Ottawa is going through a condo boom and urban intensification is a priority for City Hall. It just feels like the Sens are missing the boat DT. I know we're a small market Canadian team but that doesnt mean the Marketing Department has to put in a that type of effort. Come on. A little bit of pride, energy and ingenuity would go a long way. Instead we get the same old tired and lame TV and radio ads, slogans and marketing campaigns. Do those get anyone jacked up, energized or want to log on to Capital Tickets? Please. This franchise is turning the page on the Alfredsson era and has some pretty damn marketable players (and solid citizens) in the fold. I wanna see Spezza, Neil, Phillips, Karlsson, Methot, Cowen and Turris' faces/images pasted all over town - Ryan too once he's signed long term. Im talking on buses, bus shelters, billboards, bike racks and banners on buildings. Anyone remember that giant Alfredsson banner that hung from the Corel building during the Stanley Cup run? That banner was huge and Im not saying they need to be that massive, but that was pretty cool and Im sure got people amped up as they made their way to the rink. Some smaller ones strategically placed in the Byward Market, Centretown and Elgin St would be pretty cool. I love how the Citizen decorates their building with flags and banners during the Playoffs.

If anyone from the Sens is reading this, here you go.

www.cbsoutdoor.ca
www.pattisonoutdoor.com
http://ottawa.ca/en/business/doing-...champions-program/sponsorship-and#advertising

Maybe get in touch with some of the local BIAs too? Maybe they have advertising opportunities AND you could sell them and their businesses Season Tickets?!?! Im really hoping they already do stuff like this though.

I also really hope they take advantage of the beat down the team laid on the Habs last Playoffs and do their part in ramping up the intensity on that rivalry. The Sens mauled the most storied franchise in the sport and OUR closest geographical rival.

After all that, I will however say that the Sens have done a pretty solid job on the social media side of things though.

Sometimes it just feels like the Sens rest on their laurels and assume that because it's hockey and we're Canadian, it will all just come together...

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Living a little bit West of downtown, this post really hits home. Yesterday afternoon was a pretty damn perfect one by September standards and I spent most of it on the streets of Westboro, Hintonburg, China Town, Centretown and then Elgin St. and I saw ZERO Sens marketing propaganda or info - AND TRAINING CAMP IS RAMPING UP!?!? How the **** do you explain this? As others have said in this thread, the Sens really dont have much of a presence within the core of this city. Not only is the core where tourists and visitors spend most of their time, but it's where people go out for dinner, drinks and good times. Also, Ottawa is going through a condo boom and urban intensification is a priority for City Hall. It just feels like the Sens are missing the boat DT. I know we're a small market Canadian team but that doesnt mean the Marketing Department has to put in a that type of effort. Come on. A little bit of pride, energy and ingenuity would go a long way. Instead we get the same old tired and lame TV and radio ads, slogans and marketing campaigns. Do those get anyone jacked up, energized or want to log on to Capital Tickets? Please. This franchise is turning the page on the Alfredsson era and has some pretty damn marketable players (and solid citizens) in the fold. I wanna see Spezza, Neil, Phillips, Karlsson, Methot, Cowen and Turris' faces/images pasted all over town - Ryan too once he's signed long term. Im talking on buses, bus shelters, billboards, bike racks and banners on buildings. Anyone remember that giant Alfredsson banner that hung from the Corel building during the Stanley Cup run? That banner was huge and Im not saying they need to be that massive, but that was pretty cool and Im sure got people amped up as they made their way to the rink. Some smaller ones strategically placed in the Byward Market, Centretown and Elgin St would be pretty cool. I love how the Citizen decorates their building with flags and banners during the Playoffs.

If anyone from the Sens is reading this, here you go.

www.cbsoutdoor.ca
www.pattisonoutdoor.com
http://ottawa.ca/en/business/doing-...champions-program/sponsorship-and#advertising

Maybe get in touch with some of the local BIAs too? Maybe they have advertising opportunities AND you could sell them and their businesses Season Tickets?!?! Im really hoping they already do stuff like this though.

I also really hope they take advantage of the beat down the team laid on the Habs last Playoffs and do their part in ramping up the intensity on that rivalry. The Sens mauled the most storied franchise in the sport and OUR closest geographical rival.

After all that, I will however say that the Sens have done a pretty solid job on the social media side of things though.

Sometimes it just feels like the Sens rest on their laurels and assume that because it's hockey and we're Canadian, it will all just come together...

Boom. Do it and they will come.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
1)Win, be at the top or get to the finals/win a Cup: The team sold a ton of seasons after the 2007 run and they lost a few when the team tanked. This is a town that loves a winner, give them one.

This off-season has seen the Sens approach 13K STHs, so its not all about winning, it about the excitement the product offers. The fans love these young kids that play all every shift, they are fun to watch even when they lose.

2)Incentives, fluff, that sort of stuff: Invitation to warm-ups, to Senators At Your Service, dibs on new jersey designs, parking spot discounts, etc. Whether it's the Senators or a club membership or a subscription of any kind, people love the perception that they are getting a "Deal". Just for example, I was on public transit the other day, ad for a newspaper. X Weeks for only $30! Y weeeks for $25 plus free access to the papers's Sunday web edition! It's probably still not worth it but at least it catches your eye.

I agree the Sen definitely could use more imaginative in their marketing. That said the problem is the low number of people that commit to be STHs, not that the building is empty, quite the opposite actually. Surely people can't expect even more concessions when the biggest concession is the Sens have the lowest ticket prices in Canada and STHs get a discount off the per game price already along with VIP and parking benefits.

3)Do not, ever, let the ticket go cheaper than what you paid for it: This is a real dealbreaker for some people. If you paid, say, $80 a seat for your seasons and then you open the paper and seats beside you are on sale for $50 or $60, you're upset. Why pay more for the same seat?

Not sure what this has to do with the Sens, they already are trying to provide STHs with options for ticket resale, game ticket exchange, etc.

5)Kill the negative branding, prop up the team through radio and so on: This is espeically true for the Leafsl, but local radio spend too much time slagging the Leafs, Habs, whomever and not enough time on the team itself. It's like they're insecure or something. Open Team1200 the other day and I hear Zenon Konopka throwing some shots at Alfredsson and so on. A)Why am I hearing Zenon Konopka on the radio? He sounds like Don Brennan B)Why isn't that an Ottawa Senator talking about the upcoming season?

The Sens don't own the radio station or control the content of the sports program.

6)Create the illusion of scarcity: We all know they have 10,000-11,000 diehards. What we should hear is how there are only a handful of seasons available for the 2013-2014 season. If we don't get a package we can't be guaranteed seats to see X, Y, Z. Oh, and if you get a season package we'll give you Y to sweeten the pot.

So you are suggesting the Sens mislead potential clients? All people have to do is check the well known ticket resale sites on the web to know there are tickets available throughout the arena.

TLDR: Senators marketing are super lazy. They know it's a hockey market so they don't have to try, they consequently don't try and they hope each game is enough of an event to draw people.

I disagree with this entirely.

If the rest of this was close to true why is there a thread about increasing our dismal STH base.

The fact is the Ottawa market is divided into 3 camps, Leaf, Canadiens, then the Sens.

Again the real question is how do the Sens convince fans to switch alliances so they become potential STHs.

Not an easy task.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad