Idea for cap relief

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It may not make sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me and everyone that understands the position the Hawks were in 10 years ago....

They were known as a large market team that was as frugal as ever that would trade players out of spite..

No one wanted to play here - Chicago was where players were traded for punishment or where players signed when no one wanted them.

This organization was a gong show and newer fans don't understand that.

The Hawks were just as bad as Edmonton is presently.

Now players actually want to play for the Hawks and seek them out.

So you want to change the rules so that teams can pay outrageous salaries to their star players without them counting against the cap? That would mean they could spend more on their other high end players so those players don't need to go to Chicago to make the big bucks. You are, in essence, arguing AGAINST how Chicago turned their franchise around...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
So you want to change the rules so that teams can pay outrageous salaries to their star players without them counting against the cap? That would mean they could spend more on their other high end players so those players don't need to go to Chicago to make the big bucks. You are, in essence, arguing AGAINST how Chicago turned their franchise around...

What?

I would love to know how you drew that conclusion out of my post?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
What?

I would love to know how you drew that conclusion out of my post?

If other teams could have kept their high priced talent due to cap relief gimmicks, Chicago wouldn't ever have gotten the high priced UFA players they needed to turn their franchise around because they would have stayed with other teams.

Also, :laugh: at most of this being because teams "drafted well". "Being lucky enough to suck long enough and/or at the right time" explains most of these franchise players you're attempting to take off the books.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
My idea has always been to just give each team one free buyout each summer.

-It will increase the UFA pool yearly
-Players have something to play for if they signed a long contract

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's not right - it's not a teams fault that they drafted well and another team didn't.... If a player wants to leave via his own free will then that is fine but to FORCE a team to trade a player they drafted "just because" is absolute nonsense.

Drafting well is its own reward.

You're inventing a problem that doesn't exist.

GerbeSonOfGloin

May 27, 2011
habsrule said:
My idea has always been to just give each team one free buyout each summer.

-It will increase the UFA pool yearly
-Players have something to play for if they signed a long contract

I do agree that if there's any modification to the cap to make things interesting, it should if anything go in the opposite direction as the OP. Every player of worth being locked up for forever and immovable can make things boring, and cap relief for homegrown (i.e. franchise players that big markets were lucky enough to suck at the right time for and now want to retroactively change the rules) players would only exacerbate it. But one free buyout each summer is way too much and would enable stupid GM's to escape all consequences, as well as allowing big market teams to bowl over everyone else again.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that nothing changing with regards to the cap is probably the best choice. But if we were to change something about it, it should be in the direction of making offseasons more interesting, and some ways to do it are:

1) Setting a limit on the number of NTC's that can be given out, and/or banning modified NTC's. Full NTC or bust. This is to save GM's from themselves, much like the original salary cap itself. The problem is that teams at the opposite ends of the cup contention window life cycle make the most natural trading partners, which the endless NTC's stymie. The teams with the most players worth giving NTC's out to tend to be contenders, and their players will block trades to their most natural trading partners with their modified NTC's.

2) When a player is traded, up to 20% of his cap hit can be erased, such that the offending team that signed the original contract is still paying him, but 20% of it can be kept off either team's books. To prevent widespread abuse and return to pre-salary cap conditions, the following restrictions would be prudent. First, the offending team must be on the hook for at least 50% of the original cap hit for the duration of the contract, no matter what. Second, a given team can have only one traded player sent to another team for which any amount of the cap hit is mitigated, for the duration of that contract. And only one player traded onto their team likewise. The idea is to make immovable contracts just a little bit easier to move, thus allowing more trades to happen. We might even see two overpaid contracts swapped for each other, such that 20% of each player's contract is erased, giving both players a better shot at a second chance and a change of scenery. Of course, the two teams would be incurring the opportunity cost of not being able to make any other such trades for the duration of the contracts, while their competitors can.

The idea is that this is still a lot more restrictive than just more buyouts, because GM's still need to find a willing trade partner. But if people think this still gives irresponsible GM's more lifeline than they should get, which is nothing, fine by me. As I said, no changes to the cap is my default stance. But if we were to make any changes, I think this would be better than just more buyouts. More trades make for more fan excitement, more buyouts do not, as well as being too much of a get-out-of-jail free card.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would have no problem with that general idea. Of course the specifics would need work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad